Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It looks better not to quit midyear, regardless of how many people have done it.
I disagree with that, in that, if a school counseling job is open in the mid year, take it. Those are few and far between now, if you get offered the job you want, take it. You may not have the chance again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM

262 posts, read 650,199 times
Default don't quit!

Stick out the year. You signed a contract, and you'd be a poor example to the kids to quit now.

Spend the year trying specific techniques - for instruction, behavior modification, differentiation, etc. and write down the results. That way, when the year is over and you're job hunting, and principals want to interview, you'll have plenty of fodder to discuss.

"I tried X and it worked because..."

"Well, last year, in my classroom, I had problem X and was able to solve it by..."

"I followed the research, and X worked really well for me..."

Also, this would be a good time to sharpen other skills - can you set a new school record for parent contacts? Can you have your kids organize and execute a food drive? Get on in there! See what you can get accomplished. Make the year productive. Use the frustration you feel as fuel to reach out to students who feel alienated.

These are all things that will make your year better, AND will sound great in an interview environment. Sitting down and saying, "I broke my contract and quit because I didn't like it. Hire me!!!" somehow doesn't sound good.

Conversely, a principal probably wouldn't mind, "I taught ____ last year, and I found out it wasn't quite for me. I did find out more about my strengths, though, and my strengths lead me to believe that I would be perfect for the position you have available..."

Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM

262 posts, read 650,199 times
You say you didn't sign a contract? Whatever you signed doesn't give your position, pay, duties/responsibilities, and most importantly the number of days you are expected to perform these duties? If not, then what are you worried about?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
Last month I gave telephonic interview, but I am new for telephonic interview so I can't pass it. So my question is How should I prepare for a phone interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education