Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2016, 06:11 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, it was my job to fully investigate...and I did...but that does not always result in a firm conclusion.
Then you punish nobody, but keep an eye on both people in the future.

Quote:
So let's say the "victim" has no damage, but the bully has a broken nose. There is no evidence as to the history of the two being in a bully/victim relationship. What then? Does the broken nose go unpunished?
In that case I would say that the person who fought back used disproportionate force and probably should be punished. But in most cases, the bully is significantly larger and stronger than the victim, and it is completely obvious to anybody with any common sense who started the fight.

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 10-30-2016 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

In that case I would say that the person who fought back used disproportionate force and probably should be punished. But in most cases, the bully is significantly larger and stronger than the victim, and it is completely obvious to anybody with any common sense who started the fight.

That's not evidence/proof and would not hold up in a court of law.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
That's not evidence/proof and would not hold up in a court of law.
Then why do you punish bullying victims who stand up for themselves when you have no evidence or proof that would stand up in a court of law. Usually principals such as yourself assert the fact that they are not a court of law and that they don't need evidence or proof to punish innocent people like myself. But now you hide behind the lack of evidence or proof to avoid punishing the bullies. Typical double standard

Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 PM

You're welcome to your little fantasies that are twisted because you were bullied. Goodbye.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You're welcome to your little fantasies that are twisted because you were bullied. Goodbye.
So, in other words, you realize that I exposed your double standard, and you have nothing more to say.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
It is too bad that a worthwhile and necessary conversation degenerates into a trading of insults between anonymous screen names. It shows that sometimes people return to a middle school level of maturity.

Has the way a presidential race is run made adult discussion impossible?

Old 10-31-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is too bad that a worthwhile and necessary conversation degenerates into a trading of insults between anonymous screen names. It shows that sometimes people return to a middle school level of maturity.

Please don't be blaming me. I have been contributing worthwhile and necessary conversation to this thread for months until phetaroi get involved in this thread, and did nothing but attack me.

What people do not seem to understand is that principals such as phetaroi are the main reason why bullying continues. I point out his/her double standard: the same exact double standards I had to deal with from school administrators when I was in school.

As a bullying victim, in a thread about bullying, I would be hypocritical not to stand up to bullies such as phetaroi.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

As a person who was bullied in the past, I understand everything the other poster is saying about being bullied. But I'm not going to sit back and say that bullying is the fault of administrators. I'd say bullying is the fault of bullies...and teachers who look the other way or excuse bullying with "boys will be boys"...and parents who aren't involved enough with their children's lives to see what may be happening to them...and parents whose children are bullies and like that about their kids...and yes, sometimes administrators who ignore the issue.

One of the issues that has not been brought up -- at least in recent posts -- is the evidence that suggests that in many cases, kids who have been bullied can later turn into bullies. I think when someone dwells on the bullying they suffered through decades later, that that is not unlikely. There does come a time when, as an adult, a bullying victim from their public school years need to pull up their bootstraps and put it behind them.

Bullying has changed a great deal over the past 60-some years. When I was a kid we only thought about bullying as physical aggression. Now many people see bullying as any social slight. For example, I had a parent come in for a conference because her 7th grade daughter was being bullied. As the conference began I asked the mother what the bullying consisted of. "She wasn't invited to Susan's birthday party." Huh???? And yes, that was the full extent of the "bullying".

I will reiterate something I posted at least once before in one of the bullying threads. If one thinks the school isn't doing anything about "your" child being bullied, write a well-thought-out letter to the principal, cc it to the teachers that may be ignoring the behavior. That will usually work as fast as an enema in changing school behavior; people get very nervous about things being put in writing because it implies lawsuit. If nothing still happens, write a follow-up letter to the principal, and this time cc it to the superintendent and, if necessary, the Board of Education.

But at the same time, parents need to be aware that what a kid says (often under pressure) to a parent may not always be the whole truth, either, whether it be the bully or the bullied saying it. Frankly, it's rare that I met totally objective parents when it came to their kid.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Please don't be blaming me. I have been contributing worthwhile and necessary conversation to this thread for months until phetaroi get involved in this thread, and did nothing but attack me.
I'm not blaming you. There is a convention about attacking posters by name. I'll be using that "presidential debate" analogy on many other threads.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I will reiterate something I posted at least once before in one of the bullying threads. If one thinks the school isn't doing anything about "your" child being bullied, write a well-thought-out letter to the principal, cc it to the teachers that may be ignoring the behavior. That will usually work as fast as an enema in changing school behavior; people get very nervous about things being put in writing because it implies lawsuit. If nothing still happens, write a follow-up letter to the principal, and this time cc it to the superintendent and, if necessary, the Board of Education. (emphasis added by jbgusa)
Phetaroi, you must have been reading my posts. I have often suggested putting this kind of stuff in writing for the reasons that are implied in what I highlighted in your post. As I also posted, when Charlie pulled the high stool out from under me, my father's phone call to the parents brought a very swift end to the conduct. The incident with the stool was in September 1972. Charlie died in 2012 after years of drug abuse. It seems he needed something to abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education