Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I hope you went back to school today.

If you drop out of school today, you're guaranteed a very boring life later on.

Do you want to be a spectator in life when you get older rather than participating? Do you want to watch when people around your age buy a house, get a new car, take a vacation, buy new clothing? Do you want to always live with no money in your pockets? No disposable income of any kind?

Do you want to be able to participate in some kind of intelligent conversation, or do you truly believe that now you know all there is to know about life?

You will never be able to do those things later if you drop out of school now.

Heck, you may not be even able to pay for a cable bill later on, let alone support a future wife and family.

If you sit around the house now with a part-time minimum wage job now, I guarantee you'll be sitting around something (a rented room?) later on.

Unless you have some kind of trust fund coming to you, you have to do SOMETHING in life.

People either work or go to school. Some people do both.

I hope for yourself you make the right decision.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS!

You can definitely live a comfortable life if you drop out and get a girl who will have your kids without wanting a husband. Get a manual labor job and get hurt so you can go on disability. If you're lucky, you can sue for a big settlement.

Later on, make sure the kids have trouble at school, so that you get a crazy check for each one. Your girlfriend should be able to get Medicaid, Section 8 housing, an EBT card for groceries, and cheap child care and free school meals for the kids. You should clear a couple of thousand per month without having to work much, if at all. You'll have plenty of money for nice clothes and jewelry, a nice car, the latest cell phone, and an active social life.

Not everybody either works or goes to school. Some people do neither.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 10-14-2010 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: add free lunch

Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 PM

494 posts, read 890,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only thing you were learning in school was to treat people with disrespect and contempt, so there is no point staying there.
He didn't learn that in school, he learned that from bad parents. And of course now he's being a bad parent and passing off an ethic of irresponsibility to his kids. Way to go, dropout.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'm convinced the majority of those responding here are teachers, fearful that if enough people drop-out of high school or college, they'll be working at McDonald's some day.

My 55YO Mexican roommate has done very well for himself with his mere 6 years of schooling. How many others have been able to sail through recessions like he has?

I dropped out of high school, and stupidly went back and to college and regret I didn't stay on course and remain a first-class waiter.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
I know this sounds mean, but some of the posts on this thread are freaking too funny...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
He didn't learn that in school, he learned that from bad parents. And of course now he's being a bad parent and passing off an ethic of irresponsibility to his kids. Way to go, dropout.
You mean, just a few more months hanging out with his peeps at school would whip him into shape? After 11.5 years has done nothing at all to develop any maturity or social awareness? All he needs to become a good parent and acquire an ethic of responsibility is to sleep through another few months of history classes?

Six months on a minimum wage job will teach him a great deal more than six more months of school. The only way he's ever going to amount to anything is if he has some kind of epiphany, and with his current mindset, that's not going to happen at school.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default I dropped out of high school today

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooo_philly View Post
Tired of this man,Im in the 12th grade and they teach boring azz stuff man I cant take it anymore so thats why I dropped out of high school.Now I might be getting my GED but thats it not goin to college thatll be even harder

The hard truth is that not everyone can make it through HS.

Good luck, you'll need lots of it.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Do you have a trade now? If not, what are you going to do? I've counseled only a couple kids over the years to drop out, both were 20, both had a family business they'd been working for most of their lives-one was plumbing the other was a machine shop. Both have done well. Do you fit either profile?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I think everything I wanted to say has been said already. Oh well!!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooo_philly View Post
tired of this man,im in the 12th grade and they teach boring azz stuff man i cant take it anymore so thats why i dropped out of high school.now i might be getting my ged but thats it not goin to college thatll be even harder
get your butt back in school!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 12,468 times
Don't listen to these negative people; high school is complete BS and not worth the time.

I dropped out, got my GED in less than two weeks later, enrolled in community college and received an associates degree in two years, then transfered to a very reputable university and received my bachelors degree 1.5 years after that. I have a great job, am very young, and pretty much wrote my own ticket in life while most of my former HS class are still not done with college, have babies, or are doing nothing with their lives. I make more money than I need, can travel or do anything I want, have very good job stability, and live better than anyone my age that I know.

Education is necessary to succeed, but HS is not. I am a huge proponent for self education and higher education; HS teaches you nothing more than how to become a sheep and develop a herd mentality. Don't fall for it; pave your own way to success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education