Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,331,662 times

Advertisements

Don't forget.... Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,905,353 times

Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,305,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Is there anyone else on here horrible at math?

Since I was a young kid, I have always struggled with math. For some odd reason, I was never my strong point and I just never really understood it, especially Algebra and Geometry.

Even though I am horrible at math, I wish I could be good at it someday. I know some of you may tell me to just pick up a book and work a few problems or get a tutor but I don't think that is the solution.

Here are some of the reasons why I may be horrible at math:
Math learning disability (Dyscalcula)-I have never been diagnosed with one, but how do you know for certain if you have one?
School system/math textbooks do not teach math in a way for all students to understand.
I am not employed in a job that uses a great deal of complex math on a daily basis.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of American students have trouble with math? Why do students in other countries like Singapore,Hong Kong, etc seem to be geniuses at math?

What can I do to enhance my math capabilities?
Allow me to prove to you that you are not horrible at math...

If you want me to show you that your not bad at math...than respond to me....

Math is the easiest thing under the sun....

And I'm about to take it on head on again also...

Don't confuse 'math' with 'problem solving'....

For there is only 4 things you can do with numbers...

Can you tell me what those 4 things are?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: removed rude comments, fixed typos

Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,543,879 times
There is disability and disorder for everything, isn't this 100% pathetic or what? There are very FEW places that actually use complex math for anything (that includes Sci&Eng and R&D). You didn't specify that place that use "complex math" it would give us an idea.

The only way to master of college level math - solving lots of problems (no multiple choice), it settles things in your brain 100 times more efficient than endless reading and memorizing. It would help to have basic ideas explained in simple terms first, there is nothing about college level math (for non mathematicians) that cannot be explained in simple terms without scary sounding lingo. If there are no alive people to explain, I guess you have to surround yourself with dozens of books and look for explanations that resonate with your brain. Considering avalanche of text and popular science books on the subject, there must be something out there that would resonate with you.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Is there anyone else on here horrible at math?

Since I was a young kid, I have always struggled with math. For some odd reason, I was never my strong point and I just never really understood it, especially Algebra and Geometry.

Even though I am horrible at math, I wish I could be good at it someday. I know some of you may tell me to just pick up a book and work a few problems or get a tutor but I don't think that is the solution.

Here are some of the reasons why I may be horrible at math:
Math learning disability (Dyscalcula)-I have never been diagnosed with one, but how do you know for certain if you have one?
School system/math textbooks do not teach math in a way for all students to understand.
I am not employed in a job that uses a great deal of complex math on a daily basis.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of American students have trouble with math? Why do students in other countries like Singapore,Hong Kong, etc seem to be geniuses at math?

What can I do to enhance my math capabilities?
Again...math is the easiest thing in the universe...

No one is addressing your issue, instead they're bringing issues of their own...

Respond to me, and I'll proove to you how easy math is, and how you've already conquered it...

Again, don't confuse math with 'problem solving' or 'comprehension'....

Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,762,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Again...math is the easiest thing in the universe...

No one is addressing your issue, instead they're bringing issues of their own...

Respond to me, and I'll proove to you how easy math is, and how you've already conquered it...

Again, don't confuse math with 'problem solving' or 'comprehension'....
You are confusing mathematics with arithmetic. Arithmetic is a small part of math.

What is the difference between Arithmetic and Mathematics?

Quote:
“Arithmetic is to mathematics as spelling is to writing.”

The dictionary definitions of these two bodies of learning are:

a·rith·me·tic
(1) the branch of mathematics that deals with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division,
(2) the use of numbers in calculations

math·e·mat·ics
(1) the study of the relationships among numbers, shapes, and quantities,
(2) it uses signs, symbols, and proofs and includes arithmetic, algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You are confusing mathematics with arithmetic. Arithmetic is a small part of math.

What is the difference between Arithmetic and Mathematics?
Very very very good post...

This post, or the definitions contained within, brings clarity to much...

And I think by people realizing the different elements or operations within math...greatly aids in the process of problem solving...including myself...

it takes one big dark cloud.....

And breaks it down into smaller, more manageble sections...

On the first day of math class, any math class, if a teacher had shared, what you just did above, it would have instantly removed half the intimidation and anxioty or phobia of math....which in turn would calm the mind down, which in turn would make recieving information much easier...

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-28-2011 at 02:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education