Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM

14 posts, read 34,058 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm from Croatia. I decided I want to improve my English speaking skills. I've been learning English for many years, and use it now almost every day at work. I'm generally satisfied with my grammar and vocabulary but when I need to talk to someone, I struggle because I never had a chance to practice enough. Does anyone have ideas where could I find some interesting people to talk to over Skype? I tried yahoo chat groups, but it turned out that they are only full of horny bots, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 AM

Common people, any suggestions?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
Assuming you are still in Croatia, why not just go to Dubrovnik and talk to the tourists? The best tour guide we ever had said that she learned to be fluent in English by giving tours.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Assuming you are still in Croatia, why not just go to Dubrovnik and talk to the tourists? The best tour guide we ever had said that she learned to be fluent in English by giving tours.
Haha, thanks for the idea XD But I live in Zagreb, and Dubrovnik is like the furtherest place from Zagreb... and I have a full time job, and couldn't go for such trips even if I could afford it... and... the tourists are the mostly over the summer...

I would to talk with someone regularly... a few times a week.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
I would imagine that Zagreb has quite a lot of intellectuals, who would, A) already speak English, and B) have hobbies. Perhaps you could find some form of leisure activity in which you would encounter a lot of ex-pats or intellectuals. Maybe the library has a reading club in which people read books in English and discuss them. Or maybe a nature society, such as bird watching, in which you could regularly be in activities with people who would speak English with you. I knew a girl in Romania, who got together regularly with a few English-speaking acquaintances, and they would spend a couple of hours just having English conversation.

If you are single, one very effective method would be to find an English-speaking girl friend. Is there an English library or English bookstore in Zagreb, where you could meet other English speakers?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would imagine that Zagreb has quite a lot of intellectuals, who would, A) already speak English, and B) have hobbies. Perhaps you could find some form of leisure activity in which you would encounter a lot of ex-pats or intellectuals. Maybe the library has a reading club in which people read books in English and discuss them. Or maybe a nature society, such as bird watching, in which you could regularly be in activities with people who would speak English with you. I knew a girl in Romania, who got together regularly with a few English-speaking acquaintances, and they would spend a couple of hours just having English conversation.

If you are single, one very effective method would be to find an English-speaking girl friend. Is there an English library or English bookstore in Zagreb, where you could meet other English speakers?

Most people here know English... but equally as I... I think I would need to speak to native speakers to get better. Thanks for your constructive suggestions. I actually had an american girlfriend at one time, but it didn't work out...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Check with the language departments at American Universities. My daughter Skypes with a language partner to practice her Chinese. Her language partner is a Chinese professor living in Germany who wants to practice his English.

Someone who wants to practice Croatian might be a little harder to find, but I did a quick search and this came up, at Harvard:

Harvard Czech/Polish/Serbian/Croatian Language Table | Facebook

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,245 times
Hi, u know i'm like u, I really want badly to speak to a native speaker, but up until now i can't find, and i'm a bit discouraged. You know may be it is not as you want it, to speak with non-native but I think that in a way, when you can't find what you want, maybe you can start with what you have at hand ? I mean, if you like, I'd be glad to speak with u on Skype, even though I'm not perfect at english. Up to you

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM

14 posts, read 23,934 times
There's a program called "Let's start talking" that helps people around the world to improve English. I have couple of friends who actually work there; they have travelled a lot to talk English to people. That's really nice.
This is the website: Let's Start Talking
This is their facebook you might want to check: https://www.facebook.com/LSTfan
Also, you can pm me to exchange Yahoo messenger or AIM. I'm very willing to help

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,308 times
hi, i'm acok from indonesian. i'm just to learning english about 3 months and i think i have enough vocabulary but simetime feel comfused how to used words. anyone can teach me? please help me....i want to people can suggestions my structure sentence and speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education