Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 AM

661 posts, read 1,250,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The tourist industry would adapt.
When you live in an area that is only 3 months frost free or has really only 8 weeks of swimming there is nothing to adapt to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
When you live in an area that is only 3 months frost free or has really only 8 weeks of swimming there is nothing to adapt to.
You don't need all 8 weeks off for tourism. Seriously, I live in Michigan and I like to go up north as much as the next guy but I don't do it every week during the summer. Even if kids are off all summer, parents are not!! Parents have far less vacation than their kids so it's not the school schedule that determines when people go up north. It's the parents work schedules.

While it is true that parent won't pull their kids from school to go up north, the kids still don't need the entire summer off. Tourism would adjust. A shorter summer for kids would mean a shorter but busier tourist season. Making the tourist season longer just results in people spacing out when they travel and, if they're like me, perhaps not traveling at all because they think they have more time than they do. When I only had 6 weeks vacation, I used every one of them as vacation. Now I have 10 in the summer and I used one as vacation last year. When you have lots of time off, vacation isn't a priority.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Public schools in VA are forbidden by state law from opening prior to Labor Day. Legislation that was pushed by King's Dominion and other tourist venues in the state. In MD the same legislation has been mentioned by Ocean City.

Areas that have a high tourism business presence are going to oppose this.

A question: if schools are in session during much of the summer when are repairs and general maintenance that would be disruptive during the school year (roof work, upgrades, general construction, all things that most buildings except brand new ones need) be done? My building has the full custodial crew plus the system's maintenance crews there every day in the summer, from the day after school closes to the day before it re-opens. We still have a roofing crew working that started on a total replacement the first week of July.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Public schools in VA are forbidden by state law from opening prior to Labor Day. Legislation that was pushed by King's Dominion and other tourist venues in the state. In MD the same legislation has been mentioned by Ocean City.

Areas that have a high tourism business presence are going to oppose this.

A question: if schools are in session during much of the summer when are repairs and general maintenance that would be disruptive during the school year (roof work, upgrades, general construction, all things that most buildings except brand new ones need) be done? My building has the full custodial crew plus the system's maintenance crews there every day in the summer, from the day after school closes to the day before it re-opens. We still have a roofing crew working that started on a total replacement the first week of July.
They're done the same way industry does them. You do them as needed and deal with any inconvenience. Businesses seldom shut down to allow for building repairs.

I'm in Michigan and we also have legislation that forbids the start of school before labor day, which is silly when you consider that the teachers and students in band and sports all start before labor day.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think that would be difficult if parents have several children and they have a child in elementary and another in middle school and another in high school.

Our district had (went back to traditional this year) a mix of YR and traditional elem schools but middle and HS were traditional. That affected where we chose to live because I wanted all of my kids on the same calendar.

I think YR should be implemented across all grades if it is implemented.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You don't need all 8 weeks off for tourism. Seriously, I live in Michigan and I like to go up north as much as the next guy but I don't do it every week during the summer. Even if kids are off all summer, parents are not!! Parents have far less vacation than their kids so it's not the school schedule that determines when people go up north. It's the parents work schedules.

While it is true that parent won't pull their kids from school to go up north, the kids still don't need the entire summer off. Tourism would adjust. A shorter summer for kids would mean a shorter but busier tourist season. Making the tourist season longer just results in people spacing out when they travel and, if they're like me, perhaps not traveling at all because they think they have more time than they do. When I only had 6 weeks vacation, I used every one of them as vacation. Now I have 10 in the summer and I used one as vacation last year. When you have lots of time off, vacation isn't a priority.
The other thing is, on most YRE schedules, not everyone has the same time off in the summer, but everyone has some time off. There is still time for a family vacation.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

Our district had (went back to traditional this year) a mix of YR and traditional elem schools but middle and HS were traditional. That affected where we chose to live because I wanted all of my kids on the same calendar.

I think YR should be implemented across all grades if it is implemented.
It doesn't seem to work in high school. Sports is one reason. Most high school sports associations require kids to be enrolled in school while participating. While there is probably a way around that, it might be hard to go to practice and compete during one's off time, especially if the family wants to take a vacation then.

In Douglas Co. Colorado, there are some YRE tracks that are similar to the traditional schedule, and apparently you can request them. I have no personal experience with YRE, but I know people who have had kids in it, and they usually like it.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The other thing is, on most YRE schedules, not everyone has the same time off in the summer, but everyone has some time off. There is still time for a family vacation.
That's what you'd do if you were using YRE schedules to fix an overcrowding problem. If there were no overcrowding, there'd be no need to stagger the schedules.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Public schools in VA are forbidden by state law from opening prior to Labor Day. Legislation that was pushed by King's Dominion and other tourist venues in the state.
That's true, but districts can apply for a waiver so that they can start prior to Labor Day. This year there were 74 districts that started prior to Labor Day with the waiver.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,120 times
My son's friend moved to another state where they have year round schooling. The boy made lots of new friends on his new street, unfortunately, they are not on the same track as each other so when my son's friend is out of school, his friends are in school, and vice versa.

I would not like being in a situation where everyone was on a different schedule. The only advantage I can think of is if you live somewhere really hot, then you might get more outside time by being in school in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education