Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Katiana; In answer to your question,she was an RN. She had also taught in catholic schools for many years, as I said a wonderful person. She recently retired and returned to the mother house.
That's great! You were blessed (no pun intended) to have a nurse like that. My friend works in a very busy school health room, and she does a lot of things a nurse would do in a hospital. I have tried to encourage her to go to nursing school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Yet another reason why I am no longer teaching school, I loved the kids, it was dealing with parents who expect you to be perfect at all times..is a bit much...Some Moms, they want you to know what to do for all the kids, all the times. Some Moms, expect you to let the kids do whatever they want, every little thing is an issue...other Mothers, actually get mad, and expect you to "police" their children from calling them when they are "sicK"...I can't determine if a child is sick or faking...I am not a doctor. I just use my judgement...and I am not unreasonable. If a child says they are sick all the time, that is an issue that would merit a teacher parent conference. But if a child who is never sick, or asks to go to the bathroom comes to me, and says that he/she is sick, yes, that one goes to the office right away.

As for the peanut butter issue, I can't police the school to be free of peanut butter. I can tell parents not to send treats with peanut butter, the only way I could make sure your child did not recieve a peanut butter cup, is just to not give him any treats at all. And then, you would get mad that he was excluded...so...there you go...teachers are always the "bad" guys...I don't have the time to remember the issues of every child in the classroom, one that is allergic to peanuts, one that is diabetic, one that is lactose intolerant...the list is endless...

Do teacherrs ever do anything that is right?! No wonder I am no longer teaching school, who could take this abuse for 20 years and still be sane...

Last edited by jasper12; 11-06-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
^^You wouldn't be a good candidate to work in a pediatrician's office. We have the parents right there the whole time, with a very few exceptions. Yet we don't complain nearly as much about parents as some teachers seem to do, and we do agree with "mother's intuition" and agree that parents want the best for their kids (even if we don't agree with what's "best").

Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 PM

Right, you work in a pediatricians office, with a child for about 15 mintuse at an appointmwnet with the parent. NOT even close to managing a classroom with 26 children, or more, 1/4 of whom have an IEP, and various diisabilities, with no help at all for eight hours a day...Please, don't even compare your job to being a teacher. It is offensive to me, who did that job for 20 years. The fact that you can even have a condescending attitude towards the issues teachers deal with on a daily basis is beyond my comprehension to even understand why you think the jobs are even comprable...

Last edited by jasper12; 11-06-2010 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-06-2010, 06:00 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,568 times
OMG -- it sounds like every teacher should have basic health training. Denying a child bathroom breaks can lead to all kinds of problems, eg. incontinence -- you know when a kid gets so constipated they can no longer tell they need to go to the bathroom and then they pee and poop allover themselves? Shame! Shame! Shame!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Embarrassingly enough, I used to have accidents at least a few times a year in elementary school. My young self just couldn't hold it until the end of the lesson, and I was too afraid to interrupt the stern teachers and ask to go to the restroom.

Whoops.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
As a child I had nephritis. And an infection would just happen willy-nilly. Common symptoms were fever, swollen glands and back pain. As a result of the kidney infection a urinary infection would follow. If anyone has ever had a urinary infection knows, you can't hold it in when ya gotta go and frequently, even if only a couple of drops and the pain is unbearible.
The principal as well as my teachers knew. But I had a rotten teacher in 3rd (and 4th) grade.
Just one time the 3rd grade teacher prevented me from running to the bathroom. Mom called the school and blasted them, and told them she told me the next time that I was prevented going to the restroom I was to "go" right in the seat. (And she did tell me.) I was so embarrassed and painfully shy I had no intention of doing so.
But lo-and behold, the time arose that the teacher was going to show me who was boss, and deny me the "privilege". I, against all that was holy to my little self, was in such excurciating pain, I "went" right there at my desk, in the second row of the class. She tried to shame me in front of the whole class, and I was. I had to clean it up in front of everyone, then went to the principal's office to have my mother called. I was sent home.
My mother was never an activist, but boy, did she storm the school and raised holy heck!
I was home, sick for a couple of days, and on my return, I was in the other 3rd grade class for the rest of the year. And never was "banned" from using the bathroom when needed.
And I'm sure none of the teachers had this happen again.

(as a side note, this same teacher pulled this on another child who said he was going to be sick. She blew him off and he barfed right there at his seat. But he didn't have to clean his mess up. After my incident, I don't think that ever happened again either.)

How long ago did this happen? Because nowdays students can't clean up their "messes" it must be done according to a strict protocol to prevent the spread of contaminated bodily fluids.

I had a problem with the school allowing my ds to use the bathroon, he had several wetting accidents as a result. we had doctors notes, etc, that he had a small bladder and control problems, they just ignored them. I finally told him if he has to go, just go. Don't even bother to ask, just get up and go. He could say to the teacher excuse me, I'm leaving for a bathroom break. Then, if there's trouble, they can call me. hey, if the teacher needs to go, she doesn't stand there and beg permission.

That reminds me of when I was hospitalized for a hip replacement. I couldn't get up for any reason, had to use a bedpan. Well, the nurses should have realized it wasn't the patient, it was the situation. They got so hateful about helping me use the bedpan (like it was some thrill for me), they actually took my call light away. So, I managed to stand up and peed over the bed. They never came in that night, my doctor found me like that in the morning, the floor soaked with urine. He said what happened, I pointed out they took the call light away, what could I do? I was transferred to another hospital!

Nurses and teachers are some of the laziest people on the planet, they expect constant praise, constantly whine about how they're overworked and underpaid, when neither is true. But I'm not pi$$ing myself to accomodate them!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

There is no response to such a gross overgeneralizaion.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is no response to such a gross overgeneralizaion.
Agreed. There are obviously going to be some bad nurses and teachers, but there are also some truly wonderful ones. You can't hate on a whole profession.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

As for the peanut butter issue, I can't police the school to be free of peanut butter. I can tell parents not to send treats with peanut butter, the only way I could make sure your child did not recieve a peanut butter cup, is just to not give him any treats at all. And then, you would get mad that he was excluded...so...there you go...teachers are always the "bad" guys...I don't have the time to remember the issues of every child in the classroom, one that is allergic to peanuts, one that is diabetic, one that is lactose intolerant...the list is endless...

Do teacherrs ever do anything that is right?! No wonder I am no longer teaching school, who could take this abuse for 20 years and still be sane...
For health issues, we always had a list in our classrooms. We could not take a cavalier attitude toward these issues because of the possible repercussions.

Of course, you may not remember every child's issues, but you can check the list before giving out treats.

Actually in small preK classes, we did remember the issues, but that was a single class per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education