Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How long ago did this happen? Because nowdays students can't clean up their "messes" it must be done according to a strict protocol to prevent the spread of contaminated bodily fluids.

I had a problem with the school allowing my ds to use the bathroon, he had several wetting accidents as a result. we had doctors notes, etc, that he had a small bladder and control problems, they just ignored them. I finally told him if he has to go, just go. Don't even bother to ask, just get up and go. He could say to the teacher excuse me, I'm leaving for a bathroom break. Then, if there's trouble, they can call me. hey, if the teacher needs to go, she doesn't stand there and beg permission.

That reminds me of when I was hospitalized for a hip replacement. I couldn't get up for any reason, had to use a bedpan. Well, the nurses should have realized it wasn't the patient, it was the situation. They got so hateful about helping me use the bedpan (like it was some thrill for me), they actually took my call light away. So, I managed to stand up and peed over the bed. They never came in that night, my doctor found me like that in the morning, the floor soaked with urine. He said what happened, I pointed out they took the call light away, what could I do? I was transferred to another hospital!
Now that's just rediculious & horrible about the hospital!

OMG, it was over 45+ yrs ago, but you can see I never forgot it, and I still hate that teacher.
Sometimes adults don't realize how what they think might be minor incidents have a life-long impact.

I realize teachers have to keep a certain amount of order, and know some children are coddled at home, which makes their job that much tougher. But to punish all the kids for the few problem ones is not the solution. So what if a kid or 2 want to fake sickness to get out of a class. The kid will be the one to suffer in the long run. And when mama comes screaming about the grades, the teach should have incidents documented, and been reported in advance with the principal.

Going back to the original post though, when a kid has a fever, I would think any teacher could see that. Just the back of the hand on the forehead, or behavior becomes quiet, or cranky, or unusual, should send a message that something's up. Why not aire on the side of caution?
It just doesn't make sense.
Oh well, that's all I can say on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
One of the kids in the class opened it. I guess the teacher didn't want to break a nail LOL
You didn't even comment on the fact that she let him have a PB cup yet you comment that a fever can be life threatening. Sure I guess even a paper cut can become life threatening but generally speaking a fever is just an ordinary fever that will come down with tylenol.
I commented on the fever to counter your inaccurate statement that fevers are not life threatening. Just as a peanut allergy can be life threatening on rare occasions, so can a spiking fever. It was that simple.

Had we taken the attitude that it was an ordinary fever and that it will come down with tylenol, instead of seeking medical care, that child might have died. It needs to be taken very seriously on those occasions.

So posters who were not aware of that before may have learned something new and won't simply believe it will be ok with meds.

Last edited by hypocore; 11-07-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Sorry my statement was quite accurate.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Sorry my statement was quite accurate.
Do you really believe that a fever cannot be life threatening?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Fever, by itself, is not life threatening. Indeed, some kids can be very sick and have little or no fever, while high fevers by themselves do not always signify serious illness. I believe the fever in the case of the OP was 102, which is certainly enough fever to make the child feel listless, and the child should be sent home b/c s/he probably has something contagious. However, depending on other symptoms, such a fever may be able to be treated with "TLC" and rest.

Fever - MayoClinic.com

Fever: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
A simple cold or other viral infection can sometimes cause a high fever (102 - 104 °F, or 38.9 - 40 °C). This does not usually mean you or your child have a serious problem. Some serious infections may cause no fever or even a very low body temperature, especially in infants.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Fever, by itself, is not life threatening. Indeed, some kids can be very sick and have little or no fever, while high fevers by themselves do not always signify serious illness. I believe the fever in the case of the OP was 102, which is certainly enough fever to make the child feel listless, and the child should be sent home b/c s/he probably has something contagious. However, depending on other symptoms, such a fever may be able to be treated with "TLC" and rest.

Fever - MayoClinic.com

Fever: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
A simple cold or other viral infection can sometimes cause a high fever (102 - 104 °F, or 38.9 - 40 °C). This does not usually mean you or your child have a serious problem. Some serious infections may cause no fever or even a very low body temperature, especially in infants.
Since a fever is a symptom, then of course it's never really by itself. However a spiked fever is much higher than 102, which is what my statement is about.

A child with a fever of say, 107, will quickly get dehydrated and soon organs will begin to shut down leading to death, in addition to whatever other issues are occurring with or without symptoms. That fever can be from a strep throat infection that leads to scarlet fever, which killed one of my cousins. It can be from a case of meningitis, which kills many children each year. It can be from a child left in a hot car which kills untold amounts of children every summer.

Of course, the key is - if immediate and correct treatment is sought most of those type things will be likely be brought under control safely.
Exactly like using an EpiPen on a child/adult going into anaphylactic shock will prevent the reaction from progressing, whether from things such nuts, shellfish, eggs, bees or penicillin.

That's the definition of life threatening....if something goes untreated that is potentially deadly but preventable, then it can cause death.

That's all I'm saying.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Since a fever is a symptom, then of course it's never really by itself. However a spiked fever is much higher than 102, which is what my statement is about.

A child with a fever of say, 107, will quickly get dehydrated and soon organs will begin to shut down leading to death, in addition to whatever other issues are occurring with or without symptoms. That fever can be from a strep throat infection that leads to scarlet fever, which killed one of my cousins. It can be from a case of meningitis, which kills many children each year. It can be from a child left in a hot car which kills untold amounts of children every summer.

Of course, the key is - if immediate and correct treatment is sought most of those type things will be likely be brought under control safely.
Exactly like using an EpiPen on a child/adult going into anaphylactic shock will prevent the reaction from progressing, whether from things such nuts, shellfish, eggs, bees or penicillin.

That's the definition of life threatening....if something goes untreated that is potentially deadly but preventable, then it can cause death.

That's all I'm saying.
From link #2:

Brain damage from a fever generally will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6 °F (42 °C). Untreated fevers caused by infection will seldom go over 105 °F unless the child is overdressed or trapped in a hot place.

The overdressing might happen in a school, but it would be unusual, and the teacher could certainly ask the child to take off some clothing, or take it off for him/her. Obviously, a child in a classroom is not trapped in a hot place, such as a car in summer, or an attic.

Fever is not life threatening in the same way anaphylaxis is. You do not have to rush the kid into a cold bath and pump tylenol into him/her if you discover s/he has a fever of 102, which is what the child in question had (or even 104), for fear the child would die otherwise. Would you treat it? Yes.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
Any of you teachers/ dept of education employees out there who can answer this please do.
Here's the situation. I have 2 children, 4th grade and 1st grade. Both of them have been denied to go to the school nurse by their teachers a total of 4 times. 2 of those times, my daughter had a high fever (over 102) when we picked her up after school.
Where can I complain about this? I am going to the principal on Monday (already yelled at the teacher, and yes I did yell). I work in healthcare and what the teachers are doing is illegal if they were in the hospital. I am thinking about filing a complaint with child protective services and the Texas department of education.
What do y'all think? I can't believe that in this day and age, that a teacher thinks they have the training to triage my children. If it has already happened to my children 4 times, it makes me wonder how many children are being kept at school sick and are being refused a medical evaluation (the school has a full time nurse as far as I know).

p.s. My son has been instructed to call us if he is ever denied going to the school nurse again (he's 9 and has a cellphone). I can't give my 6 year old a cell phone yet (though I am seriously considering it).

I have also been told by my son that they deny bathroom breaks. They have scheduled breaks and the children are expected to hold it until the next break. Is this school or prison?!?!
Can we please get back to the OP?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,335 times
B4U - you stated you still hate a teacher after 45 years speaks volumes. To hold a grudge for 45 years is a little extreme. Maybe you should try to rid yourself of that hatred.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
B4U - you stated you still hate a teacher after 45 years speaks volumes. To hold a grudge for 45 years is a little extreme. Maybe you should try to rid yourself of that hatred.
Maybe you should put yourself in that little girl's shoes. Do you think she deserved what happened, or wanted to be sick? Give me a break. If you don't see it as tramatic, so be it. For me it was. Obviously. And as I said, sometimes adults don't realize how their actions do impact children. Nor perhaps, do you.

But I saw how power can corrupt at too young an age and hate her for teaching me that. And I don't feel guilty about it, so judge away. I don't care. She was mean because she could be. And not just to me, or my class, but before & well after me. My little brother, who is 9 years younger had her too. She was as bad then too. One credit to her, she didn't discriminate. She reigned her terror over every student she had.
When I was much older and saw her shopping in town I realized what a sourpuss she really was and stopped taking it personal. However, the incident will never be forgotten. And I'll never feel better about that little girl who was embarrassed just because she could be. If she, that little girl, was any other little girl, and I witnessed the same incident, bet your bottom dollar that teacher would never do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education