Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,080,393 times

Advertisements

When we moved out of state I requested my son's school records to take with me. I was told by district they would forward the records to my child's new school. Okay, whatever. My child is seeing a private counselor now and the counselor expressed wanting to see IQ and ADD evals that were done at the previous school district. I called my child's current school and they stated they have none of those records from the previous school. So I called the previous school district and was told rather rudely that "by law I am not allowed to have them. If these were needed then my child's current district needed to request them." So I again went back to my child's current school and they stated they requested records again from the district and now are being told the records were forwarded to a complete different district within the state. That school district was contacted and since my child never attended there they believe records were probably destroyed. I am pissed because if I would have been able to get these records myself I would have them right now. So it is now looking like we have to redo all the evaluations over again. This "law" seems crazy to me, what would be the reasoning for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM

13,975 posts, read 25,834,481 times
This sounds like two separate sets of records. Official transcripts have always been sent directly to the new schools my children were registering for. But, I was always given copies of reports done by the child study team regarding one son's IEP. Those you are entitled to have. The CST should still have records of the evaluations done, did you try contacting them directly instead of the main office?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,912,377 times
I think as part of No Child Left Behind, School are required to tranfer Records school to school. They can give you a copy, but the 'Offical' records must to school to school. It took 4 week for my son records to get from one school district to next. His 'new' school had the copy that I had, and used them till the real ones arrived. His IEP Talk to his CS team, they can scan copies and email them to you.

The S -> S was done to make sure a tranfered child goes to school somewhere (or is homeschool'ed with the correct paperwork). A Child who leaves the school with out a tranfer is counted as a Dropout, and will effect there NoChildLeftBehind status/Number. If they give you the records and the child is enrolled in another school they have no way of knowing that you actualy enrolled the child. After they send the records to the new school, the new school has to accecpt the new records but only after the new student show up for school, do they send the accecpt back to the old school so that can then count the student as 'transfered', the default is dropout till the transfer is completed.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,324,516 times
Your old school would not have sent the originals so you won't need to be pissed that the testing will have to be redone.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,080,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Your old school would not have sent the originals so you won't need to be pissed that the testing will have to be redone.
The old school is claiming they have nothing. No records at all so I am assuming there are no originals, hence why I will be pissed.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM

874 posts, read 2,883,976 times
Is it the old school or the old school district? Your original post referred to the district, so if that is the case, you might want to try the school directly. Ask the secretary, records clerk, or attendance clerk. If they are no help, maybe check with the SPED teacher, counselor, or last year's classroom teacher to see if they would be able to investigate for you. They may also have their own copies of the evals.

Our school never sends the originals - they send copies only. A school sending all originals is just bizarre.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 AM

37,744 posts, read 40,805,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
When we moved out of state I requested my son's school records to take with me. I was told by district they would forward the records to my child's new school. Okay, whatever. My child is seeing a private counselor now and the counselor expressed wanting to see IQ and ADD evals that were done at the previous school district. I called my child's current school and they stated they have none of those records from the previous school. So I called the previous school district and was told rather rudely that "by law I am not allowed to have them. If these were needed then my child's current district needed to request them." So I again went back to my child's current school and they stated they requested records again from the district and now are being told the records were forwarded to a complete different district within the state. That school district was contacted and since my child never attended there they believe records were probably destroyed. I am pissed because if I would have been able to get these records myself I would have them right now. So it is now looking like we have to redo all the evaluations over again. This "law" seems crazy to me, what would be the reasoning for this?
Are they still keeping paper school records? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education