Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM
T84 T84 started this thread

37 posts, read 97,086 times

Advertisements

I currently have a PC laptop but thinking about getting a Mac for grad school. I was wondering about the programs such as Microsoft Word if i'm able to put it on a Mac laptop without any problems. And I also have a PC desktop with all windows programs. Is it worth it to try out Mac laptop for school even though all my programs are windows based?....
And are there any PC users out there that changed to a Mac?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
i went over to mac and love it for it simple to use system and other things that i hated about the pc type computers.. but it up to you on the matter for the amount of money you want to spend on the computer ..

Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T84 View Post
I currently have a PC laptop but thinking about getting a Mac for grad school. I was wondering about the programs such as Microsoft Word if i'm able to put it on a Mac laptop without any problems. And I also have a PC desktop with all windows programs. Is it worth it to try out Mac laptop for school even though all my programs are windows based?....
And are there any PC users out there that changed to a Mac?

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i went over to mac and love it for it simple to use system and other things that i hated about the pc type computers.. but it up to you on the matter for the amount of money you want to spend on the computer ..
There is a saying in the Mac community....."Once you go Mac you'll never go back" and there is a very good reason for the customers love of the Mac.

Mac is so very versitile since any owner can run BOTH Mac OSX and Windows if they need it. Try that with any other brand of computer!

Mac's are also very trouble free and built like tanks in normal use.

Allow me to help you save some money on your first Mac....Go to the Apple refurb site to buy the mac you need with full Apple warranty! I do and have had not one spot of trouble.....ever. One thing if you see a Mac there you want BUY IT NOW! 'cause the stock churns FAST!

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
speaking as someone who is currently typing on a Macbook Pro, I would say it completely depends on your major/field of work. in some industries, Windows is the OS of choice. however, since you have the capability of running Windows on a Mac, there may not be that much of a difference anymore. I personally own both, but only b/c I need a PC to play my old PC games and I didn't want to install Windows on my Mac

Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
I would have a hard time buying a mac...it seems $600 of the price is just because it is a mac. It seems like a waste of money to me.

Also, as a computer programmer, I find the lack of advanced functionality frustrating...OSX interface assumes everyone is a basic user. That being said, if all you are going to do is check email/research on the internet/watch videos, macs work great.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would have a hard time buying a mac...it seems $600 of the price is just because it is a mac. It seems like a waste of money to me.

Also, as a computer programmer, I find the lack of advanced functionality frustrating...OSX interface assumes everyone is a basic user. That being said, if all you are going to do is check email/research on the internet/watch videos, macs work great.
Mate, your view point is very unfair to the OP. Not everyone has your level of computer knowledge so what's good for you may be a very bad fit for a student.

Mac's take that into account so that the user is never far from help if they get stuck or a software problem.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I like both and I own both. Macs are very good at what they are built to do. But when you want to do something beyond the norm, PC's have a lot more options available in terms of software.

If you play computer games at all, then PC is your only reasonable choice... but like you said, you have a PC desktop.

I personally don't like Mac laptops because they don't have trackpoint and touchpads are horrible. But the Mac desktops don't have this problem.

Ofcourse this is frightening: Apple smashes patch record with gigantic update - Computerworld

If you're comparing the PC laptops to the Mac laptops, you have to pick good laptops on the PC end. There's a lot of junk laptops in the PC market that just can't be used for comparison.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM

318 posts, read 870,305 times
I won a Macbook through some political work I did a while ago, but I've switched back to PC now that I'm in college.

When I first got my Macbook, I was absolutely in looooooove with Apple. I loved everything about it, except iWork. But I bought MS Office and all was good.

But I have to work on PCs 3-5+ hours a day, and even though I'm proficient in both, Mac and Windows operating systems, I didn't like having to transition so much. So I sold my Macbook and got a PC.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Mate, your view point is very unfair to the OP. Not everyone has your level of computer knowledge so what's good for you may be a very bad fit for a student.

Mac's take that into account so that the user is never far from help if they get stuck or a software problem.
How is it unfair? That is how it is. Macs are good for some people and not others. I just gave my opinion.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
If all of your programs you need are Windows based then get a cheaper Windows laptop.

With Macs you're paying extra for aesthetics, possibly hardware you may not need, compatibility with exclusive programs (iLife, Logic, Final Cut Pro), virtually no viruses, and from what I've heard, good support. Plus as mentioned you can run Windows, however you'd have to buy Windows and that's an extra $100 or so.

So that's basically that's what you get with a Mac. The question is, is that worth an extra $400-$500? Specs wise the Mac might win out but the cheaper Windows computer should do everything you'd need it to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education