Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Here's an type of opt-out list we don't often write about: Corporal punishment in schools is legal in lots of states, but if you assumed parents could always opt-out, you'd be mistaken. According to a report from WHNT in Alabama, one student was beaten until he was bruised because he failed a science test.

Alabama Schools Paddle Kids With No Way For Parents To Opt-Out - The Consumerist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Disgusting - no wonder certain places have the reputation they do. When relocating the south was out of the question - and we were certain to ensure we were in a state that did not permit corporal punishment. Disgusting.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Living in the south is not always unavoidable, we've been transferred twice to states that allow corporal punishment in some districts. But, I made sure we didn't purchase a home in any district that allowed it.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
British public schools (actually private) were once known for their caning rooms. They always punished for academic failure; but they produced some very well educated gentlemen. Like it or not, beating students for failing is guaranteed to raise grades and graduate more educated students.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
British public schools (actually private) were once known for their caning rooms. They always punished for academic failure; but they produced some very well educated gentlemen. Like it or not, beating students for failing is guaranteed to raise grades and graduate more educated students.
Certainly it would have no negative repurcussions. Hmmm- it would be hard to imagine any.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
If it was 100% strictly for kids like those from that Samuel L Jackson movie "187", then I would be all for it.

As far as failing classes and tests go, longer school days , aggressive tutoring from teachers, and completely making sure everyone got the subject before moving on would be the way to do it.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
In the event a hypothetical school that a hypothetical child attended had been duly authorized to administer corporal punishment when certain conditions are met, why would it make sense for parents to have the option to exclude their children from corporal punishment? I do not expect a school to parent my children and I do not expect to do the school's job either. I can't "opt out" of a speeding ticket, why would my child (or any of my child's peers) be able to opt out of a punishment for some specific performance failure?

Paddling for failing a test sounds extreme enough and the boy's account in the article seems wild enough for me to wonder what is actually happening. Why didn't WHNT News 19 report about what an excellent student and wonderful person this boy is? Is it because he's a knuckleheaded troublemaker who probably deserved worse than he got and whose litigious, over-sheltering, enabling mother made him that way? We'll never know.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 11-13-2010 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Disgusting - no wonder certain places have the reputation they do. When relocating the south was out of the question - and we were certain to ensure we were in a state that did not permit corporal punishment. Disgusting.
This is actually more than a little narrow-minded and seems to evidence a propensity for at least some forms of bigotry.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This is actually more than a little narrow-minded and seems to evidence a propensity for at least some forms of bigotry.
When it comes to physically assaulting my children - that's the least of my concerns.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
In the event a hypothetical school that a hypothetical child attended had been duly authorized to administer corporal punishment when certain conditions are met, why would it make sense for parents to have the option to exclude their children from corporal punishment? I do not expect a school to parent my children and I do not expect to do the school's job either. I can't "opt out" of a speeding ticket, why would my child (or any of my child's peers) be able to opt out of a punishment for some specific performance failure?

Paddling for failing a test sounds extreme enough and the boy's account in the article seems wild enough for me to wonder what is actually happening. Why didn't WHNT News 19 report about what an excellent student and wonderful person this boy is? Is it because he's a knuckleheaded troublemaker who probably deserved worse than he got and whose litigious, over-sheltering, enabling mother made him that way? We'll never know.
Because corporal punishment is for the parent to administer, not the school in the first place. Some parents don't care if the schools do it, but for those that do, they should have an opt out. Parents get to opt out of sex education classes here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education