Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Are we talking grades earned "average" or performance level average (FSIQ under 80)?

I earned C's in high school and went on to collge and graduated with honors...though I earned C's because I only completed half the assignments and those were A's...guess that was just boredom and laziness and not "average" huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM

15 posts, read 59,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Are we talking grades earned "average" or performance level average (FSIQ under 80)?

I earned C's in high school and went on to collge and graduated with honors...though I earned C's because I only completed half the assignments and those were A's...guess that was just boredom and laziness and not "average" huh?

Basically I'm asking if those people you see in high school that act like retards, get low grades, and are possibly doing tons of drugs ever turn their act around.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sometimes they do, I think alot of it has to do with the parents. If you have a parent, who will let you live at home, and be a failure, then...that is what will end up happening. However, if you have parents, who will throw your a$$ out, and you are resonsible for supporting yourself, that seems to be a pretty big wake up call for many...I actually think that tough love works.

I straightened up, because I realized that there was no home for me to live in, and I had to support myself, that was my "wake-up" call, when I was working at 7-11 bagging ice after a 10 hour shift, and had to take a bus home to my fleabag apt, with a mattress on the floor for a bed, and I lived with a guy, just because I needed money for rent. That is so...rock bottom....it motivated me, that is for sure, to change my life.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
I know many people who graduated from college with low gpa's but make good money.

Now dont take that as a reason not to study hard and do your best. You may decide to go to grad school one day and your undergrad gpa will be important during the admission process.

And yes the "wild" kids can decide to turn their life around.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
So basically you are asking if people change.

Yes.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Sometimes, but not usually.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
I was a C average student, but that's because I got As and Cs. So I wasn't consistent. I hate repetition or practice. I went to private schools so I got a better than average education. I saw my IQ on SATs when I was a kid and it was 118. I told my teacher what my score was and she said, "then you should be doing a lot better than you are!." 118 is 85%, so that is pretty good. I should have been getting mostly As and some Bs. My personality type is INTP, so that explains a lot. They are intelligent, but not successful people on average, but can do very well sometimes. I felt kind of bad about myself as a kid sometimes because of my grades. I would do really well, like be the best in my class at some things, then the worst at others. So my GPA was low and kids would just look at that and not know how to analyze the big picture. I would get awards for things like art projects and feel that was stupid because it was easy. I got the highest grade in econ in HS, but it was easy. I told other kids that I got a 100% on my econ final and they called me a liar. A friend saw my drafting projects and said I didn't make them. But now at 35, I get compliment from my customers like, "You're so talented and you're brilliant" and I just feel weird about it, because of all the negativity I got as a kid. One customer hugged me because she was so happy. It's hard to adjust to, when you were called a loser for so many years.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 PM

270 posts, read 504,315 times
Well, I concur. Yes, a high school drop out can certainly make something of his or her life. Every profession doesn't require a university degree. Sometimes a two-year college or vocational school will suffice. Also, there are plenty of people who surivive or thrive off of owning their own businesses. It takes intelligence and know-how, though.

Now, I have a question for all of you. Can someone who dropped out of middle school become a success in life? I'm observing this inner-city school, and there are kids there who are 17 and perhaps older, and still in the eighth grade. What on earth is going to happen to them?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Well, I concur. Yes, a high school drop out can certainly make something of his or her life. Every profession doesn't require a university degree. Sometimes a two-year college or vocational school will suffice. Also, there are plenty of people who surivive or thrive off of owning their own businesses. It takes intelligence and know-how, though.

Now, I have a question for all of you. Can someone who dropped out of middle school become a success in life? I'm observing this inner-city school, and there are kids there who are 17 and perhaps older, and still in the eighth grade. What on earth is going to happen to them?
Often they go to prison.

I had a 21-year-old freshman one year. Our district would socially promote them until they got to high school. When it became a matter of earning credits to be promoted, the students would sometimes remain in 9th grade until they aged out of the system.

The assistant principal caught that one when she saw his date of birth. He was dropped the next day. I sometimes wonder what happened to him. I never found out.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
I think some kids just aren't good in school. I never was, but I tried pretty damn hard. If I didn't, I'd probably be one of those kids with the low GPA. I think having a low GPA is an indicator that one may not be successful but I don't believe it's the deciding factor. Some kids blossom after high school or find the perfect career after college. The pessimistic side of me says the chances are slim but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education