Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

^^My daughter dated a guy who didn't like to see little girls in skirts. I asked her why and she said "easier access". What's wrong with some people's minds? She doesn't date him any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Well, maybe it's because the students sometimes don't know how to wear them appropriately, but I remember school uniforms. There wasn't a lot of variety, they didn't at all look professional, they were sometimes inconvenient, and perhaps they sometimes undermined the image of a competent sophisticated individual students would have rather presented. I think I can understand why students don't like to wear them. I think the school systems should at least allow the students more professional and more appealing options, and, as for my previous suggestion not working, we follow similar dress codes in our profession as educators, so why can't the students just follow our example?
Because they are not adults. You cannot treat children like miniature adults. You are in for a rude awakening my friend.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Had parents read the school's dress code rules and made sure their child dressed according to the dress code rules then school uniforms would not have been necessary for some schools. For parents who don't like things in the dress code, they could attend the school board meetings to petition to change the part of the code they disagree with. Parents have become too lax in the disipline of their children in wanting to be their child's friend instead of the parent. For the child here who hate school uniforms, what do you think you'll be wearing when you go to a job? There is nothing in the school uniforms that requires the kids to wear the uniform outside of school or over the summer months. Though I wear a uniform for work and when I was in the Navy, I never felt restricted of my personal creativity or individuality. I was a different kind of student though. I always tried to dress different from whatever the groups decided was the fashionable things to wear.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Had parents read the school's dress code rules and made sure their child dressed according to the dress code rules then school uniforms would not have been necessary for some schools. For parents who don't like things in the dress code, they could attend the school board meetings to petition to change the part of the code they disagree with. Parents have become too lax in the disipline of their children in wanting to be their child's friend instead of the parent. For the child here who hate school uniforms, what do you think you'll be wearing when you go to a job? There is nothing in the school uniforms that requires the kids to wear the uniform outside of school or over the summer months. Though I wear a uniform for work and when I was in the Navy, I never felt restricted of my personal creativity or individuality. I was a different kind of student though. I always tried to dress different from whatever the groups decided was the fashionable things to wear.
That's it exactly. Nobody wants to be told what to do and they think the rules are for eveyone else but them... students and parents alike.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Well, maybe it's because the students sometimes don't know how to wear them appropriately, but I remember school uniforms. There wasn't a lot of variety, they didn't at all look professional, they were sometimes inconvenient, and perhaps they sometimes undermined the image of a competent sophisticated individual students would have rather presented. I think I can understand why students don't like to wear them. I think the school systems should at least allow the students more professional and more appealing options, and, as for my previous suggestion not working, we follow similar dress codes in our profession as educators, so why can't the students just follow our example?
There is no dress code for teachers at my school. I wear jeans, tshirts and hoodies most days. The only days I bother with teacher clothes are Thursday and Friday when the kids are in uniform, and not always then.

Even our principal wears jeans and sneakers twice a week. Granted we are a a marine science school and we wear "field" clothes most of the time.

The irony is since our kids are expected to dress a certain way on uniform days or anytime they are out in public representing the school, we never have to enforce any dress code issues the rest of the time. They realize clothes are just something you wear depending on your audience but do not really matter beyond that.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There is no dress code for teachers at my school. I wear jeans, tshirts and hoodies most days. The only days I bother with teacher clothes are Thursday and Friday when the kids are in uniform, and not always then.

Even our principal wears jeans and sneakers twice a week. Granted we are a a marine science school and we wear "field" clothes most of the time.

The irony is since our kids are expected to dress a certain way on uniform days or anytime they are out in public representing the school, we never have to enforce any dress code issues the rest of the time. They realize clothes are just something you wear depending on your audience but do not really matter beyond that.
Wow. I want to work where you work. I can only wear jeans on Fridays with a "spirit" shirt. Although, I'm about to tell them when they operate like a "rea"l school and treat me like a "real" teacher, then I will wear "real" teacher clothes. Until then, I think I will wear jeans every dang day of the week.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Your point is well taken about people following the dress codes. However, some private, especially religious schools have dress codes just to have dress codes. I hate seeing kids coming into my pediatric office looking like little audlts in office wear. They're only kids once.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
So if kids wearing unwanted uniforms in schools elicits a problem what about all the other situations where people are forced to where uniforms or are we just picking on the education system.
Seems to me the current education system in the USA could use a few more rules and regulations as the end product of letting the kids make all the decisions about what they'll wear goes right along with what and if they'll learn and its not working out too well.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Wow. I want to work where you work. I can only wear jeans on Fridays with a "spirit" shirt. Although, I'm about to tell them when they operate like a "rea"l school and treat me like a "real" teacher, then I will wear "real" teacher clothes. Until then, I think I will wear jeans every dang day of the week.
I never look like a bum, but will wear a nice pair of jeans once, maybe twice a week. When I do I almost always dress them up with a nice dress shirt, sport coat, and dress shoes. Honestly, that is when I receive the most compliments. Otherwise it is usually "Docker-type" pants and a polo shirt, or a sport shirt. I think the dark jeans and sport coat looks better than khakis and a polo. I never wear a tie, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with my third graders if I were too dressy. I know on days when I wear nicer dress slacks, I usually don't sit on the floor with them like I do on other days.

As far as my students are concerned, they do well socially and academically without having uniforms. Parents are pretty mindful of their children at this age and they are almost always dressed appropriately. Implementation of uniforms would be unnecessary.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
Thank god school uniforms don't exist in most schools in America. I realize a couple Catholic/private schools have them. But if they ever hit public schools, there will be an open rebellion against the federal government of United States. A rebellion that will result in massive loss of life. Taking away the right to dress freely in American high schools and junior high schools is the line that we the people of the United States of America draw. Our Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear arms to prevent totalitarianism and rebel against our government if need be. I hope it doesn't come to a rebellion, but we will rebel if necessary. Hopefully things will never come to that though, hopefully school uniforms never exist. And they never will, because if they did, there would be a rebellion. Everyone will rebel, both high school students and your average citizen who has had enough of this totalitarianism in America.
Mod cut, for personal comment. I've read extreme ideas/paranoia proposed in the Politics and Conspiracy forum that make more sense then this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
It would be easier for the government that way, then they could bend the universe to their will.
That would be quite the feat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It's one of the nice things about the military too, at least according to a veteran I know. He loved knowing exactly what to wear each morning without any fuss.
There is the assumption that those in the Military all look the same, but as anyone who has been in the military, or even those who wear a suit and tie five days a week, will tell you-there is uniqueness in detail. It is the little nuances that allow one to express individuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I teach in a public elementary school. Our students do fine without uniforms. We really have no reason to implement a school uniform policy so I don't see it happening. If there is a need to implement school uniforms, do so, but if there is not a need then don't.
When I was a sophomore in high school, the idea of school uniforms came up. The student body overwhelmingly supported the idea, even though there was no real reason to have uniforms. The real issue, the one that had disagreement, was over what exactly the uniform would entail. The school never implemented the idea, and to this day, there are no uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People in uniforms are generally considered subservient. There has been a movement in nursing for years to get nurses out of uniforms, and some hospitals, public health agencies, etc do not require them. Once no longer required, people rarely wear them (to work).
I always thought of people in uniform as just dressing the part, not as being subservient. It helps distinguish someone whose job it is to actually do the job they are doing from any chucklehead who might not actually hold that position. Would you "trust" an airline pilot who entered the cockpit wearing a Hawiian shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals? Such a get-up should not impede on his ability to actually fly the plane. But, it would seem odd, and more than likely you would wonder about his "personality".

Uniforms used to give employees a sense of pride, a sense of authority over their position. Ironically, in this day, wearing a uniform is going against the grain.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-18-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education