Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 05:16 PM
MsV MsV started this thread

2,604 posts, read 1,079,419 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a long-distance move and I can't find a good site that will identify national school district ratings by students' national test scores ~ can anyone help me? Many thanks, MsV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 12-23-2010, 01:17 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
I checked the site and compared the schools in Jupiter, FL (where I used to live) with those in Exeter, NH (where I live now). Schools in both places rate 4 or 5 stars. However, I do know that in Jupiter we spent less than $5,500 per year on each student, while in Exeter, we spend over $13,500 a year per student.

The schools in Exeter should be much higher ranked than the schools in Jupiter, if expenditures have anything to do with it.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I checked the site and compared the schools in Jupiter, FL (where I used to live) with those in Exeter, NH (where I live now). Schools in both places rate 4 or 5 stars. However, I do know that in Jupiter we spent less than $5,500 per year on each student, while in Exeter, we spend over $13,500 a year per student.

The schools in Exeter should be much higher ranked than the schools in Jupiter, if expenditures have anything to do with it.
Expenditures don't have much to do with it at all. One factor in terms of expenditures has to do with the COL in the areal. I would bet the COL is higher in Exeter which would account for the higher expenses.

Now, I do think that schools in New Hampshire are, in general, better than schools in Florida.

Great schools doesn't always have the best ratings, though. They are better at comparing schools *within* an area.

The problem is that the tests in various states are not always comparable. I do like greatschools.net for parent and teacher reviews of individual schools.

There are a few other websites you can try.

Public School Review - Profiles of USA Public Schools
USA Public School Rankings
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You may have to subscribe to some of the above.

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 AM
MsV MsV started this thread

2,604 posts, read 1,079,419 times
Many thanks Nana053 for your response - I'm not finding the varying states are truly comparable, due to an inequity of testing levels. I feel the NE schools have always been more cutting edge, so it's difficult to move South, away from this caliber of academic environment.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsV View Post
Many thanks Nana053 for your response - I'm not finding the varying states are truly comparable, due to an inequity of testing levels. I feel the NE schools have always been more cutting edge, so it's difficult to move South, away from this caliber of academic environment.
No kidding. Also, when you move to the south, you need to watch out for the decimation of the science curriculum and now even the social studies curriculum.

Texas just removed Thomas Jefferson from their teaching standards and are slanting the curriculum toward religious figures. I have no objection to learning about religious figures, but taking out one of the important founding fathers is not a good idea.

They took out most of the references to important Hispanic contributions as well.

Texas Removes Thomas Jefferson From Teaching Standard

They also recently added Creationism to the science standards. It's going to mean a lot of home education for my grandchildren.

Creationism in new Texas science education standards - National Science | Examiner.com

Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

Expenditures are not a good measure of a school system. The worst school systems in our state have the highest per pupil spending mainly because they have so many special ed kids and so many ESL kids that their budgets for those areas eat up a lot of money. Our district is continually ranked one of the top in the nation but our per pupil spending is average for our state and around average for the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education