Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM

48 posts, read 111,346 times

Advertisements

Did Kumon for a long time... Not worth it in retrospect for me. It's a good math program, but it probably did more damage than helped because I went through grade school math having learned almost everything already (i.e. always ahead of the class). Once I stopped being ahead in senior year of high school and university, I had trouble coping. And over the years, it became a chore rather than something to learn. Lot of "working" with the answer book. Long story short, math went from my best to worst class. Totally a personal problem than one with Kumon.

That and a lot of missing childhood Saturdays...

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-03-2015 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have had my daughter (6) in Kumon for 8 months. It costs $120 a month for 2 days a week and worksheets everyday. My wife and I love it. Kumon is a program that requires parent involvement at home, which is about 30min a day "homework". Yes homework...
Both our kids were in Kumon, 15-plus years ago (when it was around $60 per month). I also thought it was a great program, despite it's "drill and kill" reputation. Math facts were not required to be memorized in our kids' public schools, so Kumon made up for it. You're right that parents have to keep on top of it...those worksheets had to be done every day in order for the student to master that level and move on to the next one.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times
I'm 19, and I went to both as a kid.

Kumon, in my opinion, is to build skills and speed. I'm convinced that Asians get ahead in mathematics because they do drills as kids. And learn them much faster!

Mathnasium is better for older kids who have difficulty with math concepts. I say middle and high school aged.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
I think Kumon is good if the kids want to get ahead, but I think it's easier to do that stuff at home. My son was advanced and I would get stuff from Kumon and other workbooks to supplement his school work, especially during the early years when all the kids were in one math class.

My daughter, however, has trouble with the concepts, and the common core stuff is making it more muddled. There is so much time wasted having her make up her own multiplication problems, then explaining in 2-3 sentences how she arrived at said answer. She was so frustrated that I couldn't even explain it to her without her getting upset. I thought it would be better her to have her skills evaluated and then they could build on them from there. Mathnasium spent a lot of time explaining concepts to her rather than giving her a bunch of worksheets.

The local Kumons seem to be populated with a lot of foreign teachers with heavy accents (harder to understand) who aren't really teaching but just making kids do worksheets, I didn't see this as helpful to someone who is struggling. I also read some of the local reviews which steered me toward Mathnasium.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,889 times
My friend did Kumon for 5 years ... from the looks of things it really didn't help him much.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 PM

28 posts, read 59,565 times
Default Prices

You can purchase a dozen sessions for about 300 bucks.
A session is 2 hours.
So it comes to about 13$ per hour.

Or you can do a monthly pass, which gives you unlimited # of sessions, and is about 250.00 per month for K-5th grade, 290.00 per month for 6-8th grade, and 320.00 per month for 9-12th grade.
If my child was struggling with math in school, it would be worth the time and money to get the monthly membership, because they would be there working their butt off every day after school :-)
But if you just want to go once a week for a couple hours, etc, then buying the pass for 12 or 20 sessions would be the way to go -you can choose what days and times you want.

I've heard good reviews about it, and I think part of the reason kids do so well with it, is because all the tutors, employees are really nuts about math, and they make it fun for kids, and kids feel confident, because anyone can become really good at math, and that makes the students successful.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 730 times
My kid is 10 and he is doing well with Beestar and I heard that from the parents of my kid's friend. Online Math Program on the Beestar is free and we found out that user interface and teaching style are pretty familiar and fun for the kids to learn online. My kid now willing to join Beestar Online Math Competition and now I'm giving a support for my kid to get the good result. The Competition is getting close and it will be on March 2023 plus it is cost effective in my case because the online registration fee is about 10 USD. And it also convenient for the parents who mostly busy with the schedule. Hope my kid can do the good one as he is learning on Beestar Online Math Program.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,490 times
My son has been doing math in Sylvan for 7 months. It is also a tutoring center like Mathnasium. But over time, we can't afford to drive up to the learning center. Thus, I am looking for some of the online programs that you guys would know. Apart from sylvan and mathnasium, the teacher suggested me to use Beestar. It is also a online math program. Does anyone know about Beestar?Is it good?

Old 04-08-2023, 05:45 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
We started with Mathnasium and they were good for extra practice. My daughter calculates well in her head and I do give them credit for that. After about a year, we ended up using Kahn Academy online lessons because she said Mathnasium was not covering the same concepts at her school. I picked her grade level and just sat next to my child to see what she was getting wrong and why. From there, we filled in the gaps.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:24 AM

20 posts, read 16,431 times
I don't know anything about Mathnasium but I would recommend Beestar because my kids are now joining Beestar and they are pretty doing good in school. Beestar provides two math competitions per year and I think it helped my kids be more productive and motivated. Anyway, if you want your kids to learn online programs, especially math, Beestar is a great platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education