Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times

Advertisements

Has anyone attended Mathnasium? A center has opened up in my town, and I'm thinking of sending my son there for extra work. His school math program isn't very challenging.

I requested info from them, but I'd rather here the scoop from someone who has used them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 305,303 times
I have enrolled my son and daughter to this center last month and have already started seeing the change in my child's attitude towards Maths. They had been going to Kumon earlier but we took her out of the program as Kumon was just all about worksheets, and did not see much improvement after a year. At Mathnasium, they both are learning the fundamentals of math, and on top of it they look forward going their, which is a big plus. I am hoping their grades improve as well now in the upcoming tests. It has been really a good experience so far. Wish you luck in your search!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 305,303 times
Just want to add here. After attending only 2 months in Mathnasium at Schaumburg location, my son has his MAP Math score improved by 20 points, all because of Mathnasium's scientific approach towards keeping up and catching up in his grades and overall Maths knowledge. I would completely support anyone who wants to try them out

Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteralbert View Post
Just want to add here. After attending only 2 months in Mathnasium at Schaumburg location, my son has his MAP Math score improved by 20 points, all because of Mathnasium's scientific approach towards keeping up and catching up in his grades and overall Maths knowledge. I would completely support anyone who wants to try them out

PeterAlbert,

Can you tell me the cost of this and the frequency per week? They didn't give me much info by email, and I want to have a ballpark area before I go in and check it out.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 174,603 times
I'm interested in cost info for mathnasium too. Their website had nothing regarding cost. Anyone?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
We toured a Mathnasium a few years ago. It looked like the students just studied on their own. There was someone to help, but there were over 15 kids in the center at that time. It did not seem to be a structured program and students showed up whenever and stayed as long as they wanted. To me, it seemed kind of like a drop in baby sitter service.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM

I did use Mathnasium for my daughter for 2 months. I would have kept her in it longer, but I decided to transfer her to a private school with better math and couldn't afford both. The mathnasium was approx $250 for month for 10 sessions. I also really liked how the center listens to you and will work with your child on needed skills. Kumon seemed to be a factory.

My daughter's math did improve and she felt more confident. The schedule is one hour 2x a week at scheduled times and you can go an extra 2 days per month. She did work with 3 different tutors and she like them all. They usually put 2-3 kids working with one tutor at a time, but each child has their own book and their own stuff to work on. The tutor will help the child with their school homework the last 20 minutes of session if wanted.

Plus, there is no homework to take home, which is why I didn't like KUmon. Everything stays at the center.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM

I did use Mathnasium for my daughter for 2 months. I would have kept her in it longer, but I decided to transfer her to a private school with better math and couldn't afford both. The mathnasium was approx $250 for month for 10 sessions. I also really liked how the center listens to you and will work with your child on needed skills. Kumon seemed to be a factory.

My daughter's math did improve and she felt more confident. The schedule is one hour 2x a week at scheduled times and you can go an extra 2 days per month. She did work with 3 different tutors and she like them all. They usually put 2-3 kids working with one tutor at a time, but each child has their own book and their own stuff to work on. The tutor will help the child with their school homework the last 20 minutes of session if wanted.

Plus, there is no homework to take home, which is why I didn't like KUmon. Everything stays at the center.

The cost varies, if you sign up for the 9 month program it's cheaper per month ($220?), than if you go month to month

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I have had my daughter (6) in Kumon for 8 months. It costs $120 a month for 2 days a week and worksheets everyday. My wife and I love it, albeit she's young, but she is already doing (above 40+5...4...3) addition and (40-5...4...3) subtraction in Kindergarten.

We actually go in and sit with her during the sessions sometimes. They do a good job teaching her how to do the lessons and instructing the parents what to look for (writing/processing). Kumon is a program that requires parent involvement at home, which is about 30min a day "homework". Yes homework... but kids will have to do homework in life, so I actually think this is a good practice.

I know many engineers(myself included) who have their kids in Kumon both foreign and American. So far we really enjoy the program and are actually thinking about taking the reading-writing Kumon as well.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-03-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 AM

8 posts, read 174,760 times
My child has been using Kumon for a while. We liked it at the beginning. It helped my child in math calculation skills. But over time, the benefit is no longer that visible and we feel more pressure on its monthly bills. Then we accepted the advice from our neighbor, and started to do the free worksheets on Beestar. To my surprise, she loves the 10 quick questions and it really helps kids thinking. Pretty great. Plus, I also don’t have to drive her to kumon, saving my $$ and time.
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education