Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

One thing I first imagined in middle school and have been laughing at ever since:

You take a Political Science class with so-and-so. Every day, he briefly (1-3 minutes) talks to the class about some issue, sometimes not related to the subject (e.g. weather) and often becoming a personal rant. He then proceeds to dim the lights and turn on C-SPAN (or sometimes C-SPAN2) until class is out. During the hour, the teacher accesses Facebook or City-Data or leaves the room for extended periods of time. He only occasionally reprimands a student for talking or texting when they "should" be watching C-SPAN. The only thing he assigns his students is a one-page paper each day discussing what they saw on C-SPAN, for which he gives each student an "A" if they have completed it, and a final paper at the end of the semester, which is graded solely according to length (he counts the amount of pages and gives each student with 4 pages or less a "C", 5 pages a "B", 6 or more pages an "A").

Has anyone ever had a teacher like the one I described? I have had teachers and professors that I thought maybe should be a bit more prepared for class, but never to that extent! I wonder how long he'd last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Depends on if he has tenure.

This is basically how a relative of mine ran his "recent U.S. history" and current events elective in his final years of teaching. Pitiful.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
That is frustrating. My daughter's fourth grade teacher was using up all of her sick leave the year before she retired, so basically, there were subs in the classroom almost every day. It was a joke. I went to complain to the principal, and the teacher came in for the meeting, that day, at 3 pm, because she had taken the day off. Something needs to be done to change that...if you are taking more than 30 sick days, time for you to take the year off...and let someone in who can teach.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I had an English teacher in HS who was so well organized that she didn't need to teach the class at all. She had handouts with comprehension and essay questions for every chapter of every book we read, along with worksheets for everything else. She had a set date and even time (to the minute) when things needed to be completed. There was no 'waiting', there were no late assignments accepted, EVERY SINGLE THING was scheduled. If you had a question, you had to schedule an appointment because she refused to answer during class due to 'time constraints'.

I hated that teacher. When you had to do a 3 page worksheet (with multiple essay questions) on every chapter of A Tale of Two Cities you start hating life. Basically she sat and stared at the class while we sat and did our worksheets.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
My son had a Spanish teacher middle school that was so awful and he got NOTHING out of the class, that we decided it wasn't worth it to take any more years in middle school. He'd just wait until High School.

That teacher transferred to the high school his freshman year and he got stuck with her! She showed them Disney movies all year and they baked cakes! Fortunately he had an incredible teacher the next year who was aware of the issues (she was let go thankfully) and got those kids where they needed to be. He ended up with a B last year and was thrilled considering how far behind he was. This year, another amazing teacher and so far he's got an A.

There are always a few bad apples in the bunch, but over all, my son has had some incredible teachers along the way.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,520 times
With 30 kids in a class, maybe the expectations of the individual must be tempered.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I had an English teacher in HS who was so well organized that she didn't need to teach the class at all. She had handouts with comprehension and essay questions for every chapter of every book we read, along with worksheets for everything else. She had a set date and even time (to the minute) when things needed to be completed. There was no 'waiting', there were no late assignments accepted, EVERY SINGLE THING was scheduled. If you had a question, you had to schedule an appointment because she refused to answer during class due to 'time constraints'.

I hated that teacher. When you had to do a 3 page worksheet (with multiple essay questions) on every chapter of A Tale of Two Cities you start hating life. Basically she sat and stared at the class while we sat and did our worksheets.
I can't stand that kind of person! Not only in a teacher...but also in a boss, employee, professor, colleague, etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
One thing I first imagined in middle school and have been laughing at ever since:

You take a Political Science class with so-and-so. Every day, he briefly (1-3 minutes) talks to the class about some issue, sometimes not related to the subject (e.g. weather) and often becoming a personal rant. He then proceeds to dim the lights and turn on C-SPAN (or sometimes C-SPAN2) until class is out. During the hour, the teacher accesses Facebook or City-Data or leaves the room for extended periods of time. He only occasionally reprimands a student for talking or texting when they "should" be watching C-SPAN. The only thing he assigns his students is a one-page paper each day discussing what they saw on C-SPAN, for which he gives each student an "A" if they have completed it, and a final paper at the end of the semester, which is graded solely according to length (he counts the amount of pages and gives each student with 4 pages or less a "C", 5 pages a "B", 6 or more pages an "A").

Has anyone ever had a teacher like the one I described? I have had teachers and professors that I thought maybe should be a bit more prepared for class, but never to that extent! I wonder how long he'd last?
Yes, my 10th grade geometry teacher would fit the description of a lazy teacher. She wrote the notes in shorthand because she was too lazy to use normal English. She taught for five minutes and spent the rest of the time talking with the popular kids about dating and sports. We were expected to work the entire class period on an assignment that no one understood. When we would ask her a question she would tell us to ask one of the smart kids. This was 15 years ago and she still has a job.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I'd say about 1/5 of my teachers were exceedingly lazy. Jacked up.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is frustrating. My daughter's fourth grade teacher was using up all of her sick leave the year before she retired, so basically, there were subs in the classroom almost every day. It was a joke. I went to complain to the principal, and the teacher came in for the meeting, that day, at 3 pm, because she had taken the day off. Something needs to be done to change that...if you are taking more than 30 sick days, time for you to take the year off...and let someone in who can teach.
Stinks for your daughter, but obviously the teacher was there long enough to earn those days. WHy should she lose them? What is to say they should let someone in who can teach thereby implying she cannot teach??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education