Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 32,420 times

Advertisements

So my school has this new rule that you can only go to the restroom a certain number of times during class this semester. It ranges from 4-6, depending upon the teacher. I think that is BS. Detention for having to take a leak? Really? My bladder doesn't go "Oh! I can't go now, there's 40 minutes of English class left!"

I'm not one to go excessively during class. Heck, I try to go in between classes if I can, but sometimes-sometimes I don't have to go in between class, I might have to go 20 minutes later, and that's not my fault.

I know this rule is probably in place for those kids that try to get out of class, but other students shouldn't be punished because of what they do. If I end up using all my passes in a certain class and I have to go and the teacher says no, you better believe that I'll walk my happy @ss out and take care of business, and refuse to go to detention. I'm so tired of being treated like a prisoner at school.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-15-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM

804 posts, read 2,880,770 times
Stand up and pee your pants when they wont let you go then sue the school for mental anguish (no idea if that is spelled right). I would bet these days you will win.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,244,582 times
Even if you don't have to go, you can go. If you frequently can't go, then shortly afterward you must go, talk to your doctor.

There are times you just have to hold it: when the plane is taking off or landing, when court is in session, when you're getting a speeding ticket. Four times per class per semester is pretty generous.

You're right that it's for the students who try to get out of class. Yes, they make life harder for the rest. (Life's like that.) But if you're not one to leave class excessively, the new rule won't even affect you.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,413,564 times
I agree that schools tend to treat students like prisoners by regulating things as fundamental as bodily functions. I think school should just not make the bathroom thing an issue. Yes, there will always be kids that abuse it, but it's always the same kids, and it makes more sense for the teachers to talk to those individuals instead of enforcing pointless rules on the whole school.

If it's any consolation, the first school I went to was very strict, and we were never allowed to go to the bathroom during class. The time between classes was too short to go to the bathroom so you if you went, you'd get to your next class late and get in trouble for that. The recess lady wouldn't let me go either because she always thought I was "up to something" so more often than not, I had to hold my pee from 8 AM to 3 PM! That kind of thing can't be good for your bladder, but I still am able to hold my pee for incredibly long amounts of time, even 10-15 years later! Who knows, I might need an incontinence diaper when I grow older, though.

Maybe you can talk to your school admin about approaching the issue differently. See if they would be willing to target individuals who abuse the bathroom privilege rather than restricting bathroom privileges for all. It's pretty easy to log when people go to the bathroom and then see who goes the most often, and who takes the longest to get back to class, and it will become pretty obvious who abuses the system and who doesn't. I'd suggest that system to your admin in a polite, non-defensive manner and see what they say.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,622,431 times
There is a fine line that schools are crossing these days. I agree with fearnofish, pee your pants and teach the administration a lesson. Our school has a rule that for the first 45 minutes of class, you are not allowed to leave for any reason. More and more schools are implementing a type of "classroom lockdown" without regard for consequences. There are numerous medical reasons why a student would need to use the bathroom more than others. All it takes is one diabetic student being denied a bathroom break and the school getting sued for that students elevated blood sugars.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,034,553 times
I rarely allow students to leave during class unless it is an emergency and it rarely is one. Yes, there are reasons that are documented, but we know the frequent fliers and those who leave just to have something to do. Rather than equating school to a forced prison, be happy you are afforded an education and realize that it is hard to teach students who are not really in the room.

Stop and think. How many times, as a HS student, can you not hold it for another 10 minutes? You would be offended if people walked out on you when you were presenting. Try to give that respect back and leave only when absolutely necessary and teachers will realize your true intentions and see that it is a very occassional thing.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 AM

250 posts, read 640,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Tin View Post
If I end up using all my passes in a certain class and I have to go and the teacher says no, you better believe that I'll walk my happy @ss out and take care of business, and refuse to go to detention. I'm so tired of being treated like a prisoner at school.
Why would you ask to go the washroom? I would excuse myself, but I wouldn't ask permission.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,034,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
Why would you ask to go the washroom? I would excuse myself, but I wouldn't ask permission.

Why would you not ask permission to leave a class? When you are in a class, the teacher is responsible for knowing where you are and determining when and how the school proceduates are instilled. If there was a fire drill, the teacher is held accountable for your location and safety. Plus, it is polite to ask to be excused from a class. THe teacher is in charge, not the student and there are reasons for that.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,564,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
There is a fine line that schools are crossing these days. I agree with fearnofish, pee your pants and teach the administration a lesson. Our school has a rule that for the first 45 minutes of class, you are not allowed to leave for any reason. More and more schools are implementing a type of "classroom lockdown" without regard for consequences. There are numerous medical reasons why a student would need to use the bathroom more than others. All it takes is one diabetic student being denied a bathroom break and the school getting sued for that students elevated blood sugars.
Just FYI, students who have documented medical conditions are usually exempt from rules like this.

I can sympathize a little with both sides because, hey, who WOULDN'T like to have so much freedom in life that they could do whatever they want, whenever they want it? But the truth is, there are many situations where you have to learn to regulate your bladder. As another poster mentioned, when the airplane is landing or taking off no one is allowed out of their seat. The judge will not excuse you every 10 minutes in court when you're on the stand. If you're in the middle of a critical conference call with China and you announce to your boss that you need to go to the bathroom 10 minutes after a previous break, you'd better have a damn good reason, better than, "Mommy, I didn't need to go then." How are you supposed to take a road trip with buddies in college if someone has to stop every 10 minutes? You'll never get more than 50 miles down the road.

Use those 4-6 times for emergencies. Generally rules like that are implemented when there has been abuse of the system.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM

2,630 posts, read 2,648,969 times
Get a doctor's note if it really is an issue. If you have 8 classes a day and 5 emergency passes for each teacher, that makes 40 times a semester. I'm sure there are other natural breaks throughout the day to use the restroom.

Another issue that hasn't been brought up is that students at the restroom are unsupervised. Even in elementary school we have many issues of students from different classes planning to go to the restroom at a designated time to meet up. We've had students selling things in the restroom, sending bullying text messages from the restroom, calling other students, and of course fights in the restroom that nobody knew about because there is no teacher there. Another incident was a boy marking the whole restroom up with gang symbols including swastikas and then of course we had the infamous feces bandit. You have to realize that restrooms are totally unsupervised and there has to be a way to limit the students who use them for no good. I think 40 restroom passes, not including lunch breaks and time between classes, is good for the average student is really needs to use the restroom. If there is an issue, then get a parent or doctor note. We have even accepted parent notes and e-mails.

Teachers are managing hundreds or even thousands of students each day. There has to be limits on where they can go or what they can do. Teachers also have to plan their restroom times out. We can't just skip out of the middle of every class to use the restroom. If you carelessly used all your restroom passes, which seems kind of hard to do with 4-6 passes per teacher, and now you have to hold it for 15-20 minutes because you didn't use it between classes, think about teachers on a block schedule who may have to hold it for 1 1/2 hrs. Teachers have one of the highest rates of UTI because they have to hold it so much. I don't see similar rates for students who have used all their restroom passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education