Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Are you aware of the fact that Standardized testing is optional and that school districts are supposed to inform parents of this fact?

You can opt your child out of any standardized test and merely sign a waiver to do so. No muss, no fuss and your child does not have to be subjected to standardized testing.

If more parents were aware of this and opted their child out, schools would HAVE to change their focus on testing.

For those parents who are aware of the abuses of "teaching to the test" and the focus on standardized testing above actual interesting, informative curriculum might want to look into this option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Opt out of Standardized Testing | Facebook (//www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=66676141868 - broken link)

Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM

No Child Left Behind Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Yes, I know you can. The thing is, even though I am not a fan of most standardized testing, as a parent you also have to realize that if nothing else, it gives your child experience in taking that kind of a test. Colleges do utilize SAT and ACT scores (and later on GRE, MCAT, LSAT etc) and a child who is familiar with taking standardized tests is bound to be a bit more prepared and less anxious. I think the bigger danger in many standardized tests are the reactions of parents, teachers and administrators and how they are used, not the tests themselves.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Yes, it's been known. A certain % are not req'd due to IEP regs & are also allowed to have a certain % take different test (perfect example is an AP test).

It's not as simple as just saying "My child shouldn't have to take a standardized test" nor is that a correct assessment. NCLB is a big beast & schools are req'd by law to follow certain practices.

Parents don't have to make their children do much of anything via a consent form.

The issue should not be on what the child does not have to do, but rather how the schools can accomodate all different learning styles; test for comprehension in different ways & grant teachers more flexibility in their planning.

What does the FB page have on it other than saying if enough parents yell, they will get their way?

There has to be a standard in public schools if they receive government funding. It is figuring out a standard that fits every size that is very difficult

Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Yes, it's been known. A certain % are not req'd due to IEP regs & are also allowed to have a certain % take different test (perfect example is an AP test).

It's not as simple as just saying "My child shouldn't have to take a standardized test" nor is that a correct assessment. NCLB is a big beast & schools are req'd by law to follow certain practices.

Parents don't have to make their children do much of anything via a consent form.

The issue should not be on what the child does not have to do, but rather how the schools can accomodate all different learning styles; test for comprehension in different ways & grant teachers more flexibility in their planning.

What does the FB page have on it other than saying if enough parents yell, they will get their way?

There has to be a standard in public schools if they receive government funding. It is figuring out a standard that fits every size that is very difficult
Yes and yes....I don't know what the answer is but I do remember when I grew up taking the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (?) either every year or every other year. I never minded the testing (but then I did well so it was a little ego boost for me) but I never remember it being discussed in school or prepped for or anything else. It just was. They handed you the results to bring home to your parents and that was the end of it. Now...it's all crazy with prepping and snacks and competiveness and all kinds of stuff. It's out of control and I don't personally believe it's doing what they are thinking it's doing. But, like you said, they've got to have something and I don't have a better idea either....

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM

A Brief History of Standardized Testing - TIME

Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, I know you can. The thing is, even though I am not a fan of most standardized testing, as a parent you also have to realize that if nothing else, it gives your child experience in taking that kind of a test. Colleges do utilize SAT and ACT scores (and later on GRE, MCAT, LSAT etc) and a child who is familiar with taking standardized tests is bound to be a bit more prepared and less anxious. I think the bigger danger in many standardized tests are the reactions of parents, teachers and administrators and how they are used, not the tests themselves.
See the Time article link, re: ACT & SAT.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

The highlighted is incorrect. Anyone can opt out and it is very simple. Just sign a waiver. Districts are SUPPOSED to inform parents that they can opt out, but the "forget." Like "the dog ate my homework" type of "forget."

Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
The Facebook page is for STAR testing, which is in the state of California only. Please provide a verifiable citation that says parents in other states are allowed to opt out of standardized tests.

Also, since this is an Education topic, I'm moving this thread to that forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education