Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,046,227 times

Advertisements

Since the homework thread has been closed, probably because it drifted a little too much, I thought I'd open another thread for us to discuss the merits of extra credit.

I am firmly in the extra-credit-must-be-content-related camp. I further think that extra credit should be infrequently offered and should be limited to that which demands students demonstrate elevated knowledge of the material being studied.

As I mentioned in the other thread, my middle-schooler has a social studies teacher who sometimes awards extra points to students who post comments, no matter how inane, to their class COLE discussion board or their class Twitter account. It doesn't impress me.

What are your thoughts about this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,190,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Since the homework thread has been closed, probably because it drifted a little too much, I thought I'd open another thread for us to discuss the merits of extra credit.

I am firmly in the extra-credit-must-be-content-related camp. I further think that extra credit should be infrequently offered and should be limited to that which demands students demonstrate elevated knowledge of the material being studied.

As I mentioned in the other thread, my middle-schooler has a social studies teacher who sometimes awards extra points to students who post comments, no matter how inane, to their class COLE discussion board or their class Twitter account. It doesn't impress me.

What are your thoughts about this issue?

I think extra credit should be used sparingly, and absolutely be content related. And for the teacher at the local middle school who allows extra credit for returning signed mid-term report sheets..eesh. I figure that if Johnny's mom doesn't want to see his papers, the thought of extra credit probably isn't much of an incentive.
Ideally it would only be offered in the sort of situation where Janie is half a point away from the next higher grade, and wants to earn a better score enough that she's willing to do more work.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,413 times
I agree that the extra credit should have some educational merit. The only extra credit I've seen to date for my elementary school aged kids are extra spelling words on their weekly test that weren't part of their list for the week. They offer a few extra point on the test if they get them right.

In my own experience I do remeber being asked sports scores for extra credit in middle and high school. I remember doing it but I have to say I only remember male teachers asking for that type of thing (for what that's worth). I think at the time I thought they felt it was something fun. I also think teachers use it to gage how hard kids are "trying" in their class and who is willing to go above and beyond.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
I think extra credit should be whatever the teacher defines it to be. I've had college professors who gave extra credit for volunteering at a domestic violence shelter or giving blood.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,046,227 times
Along these lines, I just received e-mail notification that students may earn EC for attending the middle school ethnic fair. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. We would have attended regardless of EC.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,190,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think extra credit should be whatever the teacher defines it to be. I've had college professors who gave extra credit for volunteering at a domestic violence shelter or giving blood.
My feeling is that a grade or score in, say, 20th Century American Lit. should reflect how well I've mastered the objectives of that course-- whether I can tell Stein from Steinbeck and if I'd know an unreliable narrator if Salinger bit me on the butt. Getting an A because I'm O-negative or a good dishwasher isn't an indicator of that.

Of course, that begs the question of whether the objective in coursework is the education, or the grade. And that's another 100-page thread.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
My feeling is that a grade or score in, say, 20th Century American Lit. should reflect how well I've mastered the objectives of that course-- whether I can tell Stein from Steinbeck and if I'd know an unreliable narrator if Salinger bit me on the butt. Getting an A because I'm O-negative or a good dishwasher isn't an indicator of that.

Of course, that begs the question of whether the objective in coursework is the education, or the grade. And that's another 100-page thread.
A good, involved student's grade will reflect that they've mastered course content. I think extra credit is great because it gives everyone a chance to get some buffer points in case they have an off day with a quiz, paper or less than stellar exam performance.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
Extra credit is something that affects a student's grade. It should not be possible to improve your grade in a class by doing something that is unrelated to the class. Like I mentioned in the last thread some of the middle school teachers gave extra credit to kids who brought in school supplies. That drove me nuts. At the high school where I taught we were not permitted to give extra credit that was not curriculum related.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Extra credit is something that affects a student's grade. It should not be possible to improve your grade in a class by doing something that is unrelated to the class. Like I mentioned in the last thread some of the middle school teachers gave extra credit to kids who brought in school supplies. That drove me nuts. At the high school where I taught we were not permitted to give extra credit that was not curriculum related.
It can only *positively* influence the grade, not *negatively* influence it.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
A good, involved student's grade will reflect that they've mastered course content. I think extra credit is great because it gives everyone a chance to get some buffer points in case they have an off day with a quiz, paper or less than stellar exam performance.
That's exactly why its unethical. There should be nothing factoring into a student's grade that is not related to the class. If you do poorly on a quiz or a test it should be reflected in your grade. You should not be offered a "buffer" because you participate in the teacher's pet charity, attend a football game, bring in supplies for the class, etc....

I have no problem with extra credit that is curriculum related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education