Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 PM

41,816 posts, read 74,868,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And, if you are going to HIRE SOMEONE for a position that involves speaking and writing for a living, hire somebody who can do those things, if not well, heaven forbid, at least passably! This is the part that really aggravates me...who hires these people?
Sometimes a manager must take the best of a mediocre lot, and hope the person can learn with coaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 02:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,729,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is no grammar taught anymore. Remember parsing a sentence ?
There's barely any reading taught anymore..the audio book is played in the class while the students read along (or are supposed to).
I certainly cannot vouch for your schools; however, our schools teach grammar as well as have a huge emphasis upon direct reading instruction.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 PM

796 posts, read 1,838,324 times
I am not exactly an "old-school" teacher, but I am not a fan of phonetic spelling beyond the 2nd grade (and not even then). The kids in my class (which is 2nd grade) know that I expect them to be beyond proficient in grammar and spelling at all times. I have very high expectations of them...and they rarely fail to meet those expectations....I love them...

Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,376,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sometimes a manager must take the best of a mediocre lot, and hope the person can learn with coaching.
That's fine, for professions where what's at stake isn't the welfare of a bunch of children. When a person is charged with educating a bunch of kids, I'm not personally comfortable with, "Well, let's hope for the best from this person...fingers crossed!"

Of course, in order to attract a majority of stellar candidates, you need to offer stellar compensation...this isn't the case with teaching. So you end up with the few stellar candidates you may get because a handful of truly capable people are interested in doing the job DESPITE the pay.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,349,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
As I have perused the various state forums on C-D, I have come across many threads started by people who claim to be teachers in the various public school systems. Many of the threads concern potential for teaching positions in different states and cities, for example. What has jumped out at me so many, many times however, is not the actual content of the threads themselves, but the abominable grammar, capitalization, and spelling in some of these teacher-generated posts. Seriously, a junior high teacher who wants to find a good-paying job writes, "I don't want to loose my union benefits that I have here," or, "i am tired of living somewhere where its cold all the time," or, "There laying off teachers here now," or even, "I have went to alot of job fairs."

Wow. Someone please enlighten me. Is it that the colleges are passing people through who they shouldn't, and shouldn't this kind of content be covered in English Grammar from about the fourth grade and up? How do they pass high school English Grammar to even make it into college, much less become teachers? It worries me. How can these people correct students when they make spelling or grammatical errors when they do the same thing themselves and apparently don't even realize it?

I won't approach this topic in the actual threads where I see it, because I would be accused of personally attacking someone, and that is not my intent, but honestly, what gives?
Ha ha ha this is mean, but I know where you are coming from. President Bush's pronunciation of "nuclear" as "new knew lur" still bothers me. It is wrong on so many levels.

The answer IMO is that people were never that well-educated to begin with. But now because of the internet, we can all directly interact and see just how dumb we all are.

One of my favorite quotes is by a Korean netizen commenting on something or other...I'll paraphrase:
When I joined twitter, I learned that the world is full of idiots.
When I joined facebook, I learned that those idiots are my friends.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,417,017 times
Just an fyi, This thread was started over three years ago. It was bumped up by a spammer, whose post was removed.

Feel free to post.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:05 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,987,318 times
Quote:
As I have perused the various state forums on C-D, I have come across many threads started by people who claim to be teachers in the various public school systems. Many of the threads concern potential for teaching positions in different states and cities, for example. What has jumped out at me so many, many times however, is not the actual content of the threads themselves, but the abominable grammar, capitalization, and spelling in some of these teacher-generated posts. Seriously, a junior high teacher who wants to find a good-paying job writes, "I don't want to loose my union benefits that I have here," or, "i am tired of living somewhere where its cold all the time," or, "There laying off teachers here now," or even, "I have went to alot of job fairs."

Wow. Someone please enlighten me. Is it that the colleges are passing people through who they shouldn't, and shouldn't this kind of content be covered in English Grammar from about the fourth grade and up? How do they pass high school English Grammar to even make it into college, much less become teachers? It worries me. How can these people correct students when they make spelling or grammatical errors when they do the same thing themselves and apparently don't even realize it?

I won't approach this topic in the actual threads where I see it, because I would be accused of personally attacking someone, and that is not my intent, but honestly, what gives?
I don't understand it either, and I'm a teacher. Sure, there may be some typos here on citydata, or typing from phones, which is no big deal, but I teach in a college and I've had k-12 teachers in my classroom who wouldn't pass our 5th grade writing standardized test. And some of them have degrees from respected local universities - another thing I don't understand. How do you get a degree in education when you can't construct a coherent paragraph? Of course, these people are not native speakers of English, but still....I don't need it to be perfect, but they should be able to write as well as a 5th grader.

I see the post is old, but really....the whole issue is hard to understand.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM

102,099 posts, read 107,250,308 times
Quote:

What highschool grammar? West Coast schools, and some states on the East Coast don't teach grammar in HS or in grade school. California hasn't taught grammar in school since somewhere back in the first half of the 20th Century, if then. Too bad the OP isn't around anymore to participate in the discussion.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 PM

7,981 posts, read 7,333,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ha ha ha this is mean, but I know where you are coming from. President Bush's pronunciation of "nuclear" as "new knew lur" still bothers me. It is wrong on so many levels.
LOL it bothered me when Jimmy Carter did it, too (Obviously I'm older than you are!) I chalked it up as a regional pronunciation.

Quote:

The answer IMO is that people were never that well-educated to begin with. But now because of the internet, we can all directly interact and see just how dumb we all are.

One of my favorite quotes is by a Korean netizen commenting on something or other...I'll paraphrase:
When I joined twitter, I learned that the world is full of idiots.
When I joined facebook, I learned that those idiots are my friends.
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education