Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times

Advertisements

No, for two reasons:

1. More paperwork? Really?!
2. What would be the end result. If a teacher gets enough bad reviews, they could be fired. What would happen if a parent gets enough bad reviews from teachers? It seems pointless.

Though I will go on the record to say that there are too many parents who can't control their kids. Those parents have no business having children in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Republican State Representative Kelli Stargal (FL) has proposed legislation that would mandate teachers evaluate parents on their involvement in their kids' educations. (Sorry I can't provide a link at the moment, but it's on the front page of CNN. Could someone else oblige?)

Any thoughts?
No, I have enough to do evaluating the kids in my classroom who I see every day. How much more do they want teachers to do? Now we're to be mom and dad's evaluator??

I am not in position to evaluate my student's parents.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
I don't think anything positive would come from it. Ideally parents and teachers should form a team to help the kid and there's already enough pointing fingers to go around.

Let teachers do the teaching and parents do the parenting. Come together to help the child achieve their best, but otherwise keep focus on your end of the job, not micromanaging everyone else in the equation. No one responds well to that.

Last edited by h886; 01-26-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
All I can ask is, to what end?

Who will this aid and how will it aid them? There is nothing positive to come from this for anyone involved, including and most importantly, children.

Political posturing in all its forms does not belong in the classroom.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Yes its silly.

The biggest valid issue I have heard people raise in regard to this is kids who arrive very late to school or sometimes not at all because parents don't bother.

In our old old district, truancy was well-defined and there was a specific point at which parents went before a judge, because there were parents who some days did not feel the need to get off the couch and take the kids to school. It was controversial because sometimes parents with excused medical absences would get caught in the truancy net and have to appear before the judge with doctor's notes.

I think that defining a certain amount of tardies (and not 5 min tardies but the hour ones) as an absence and then pursuing truancy violations would be more effective than giving that parent a "not satisfactory" grade.

As far as the other aspects, don't many people feel helicopter parents are a bad thing? Won't this encourage some parents to become more "helicopter-y" to suck up for a good grade?

I think its a bad idea. Its always good to get involved and know the people who teach your children, but grading is not going to work.

I do not recall this need for parents to be so involved when I was a kid. I was born in 1970. My mom had an "OK' level of involvement - one year out of 13 she was the class mom and worked our booth at the Christmas fundraising fair. She signed report cards, she bought my clothes, she registered me and got me my shots, she called me in sick, and she bought me shoes when the old ones no longer fit or had holes in the soles. She rarely helped me with homework. I never saw her at school. In fact, I don't recall seeing any parents at school. Somehow I managed to graduate #1 in my class and get scholarships. What is so different now that parents can do what my mom did but fall short in the eyes of the school?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Does anyone really care what a teacher thinks of your parenting?
This isn't necessarily about parenting overall, this is about communication with the school according the article.

I would guess that the questions would be:

How do you rate the parent in regards to communication between the parent and yourself?

Do you feel that the parent responds to your inquiries in a timely manner?

etc... Obviously the teacher won't evaluate other forms of parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Will teachers likewise be evaluated and retained or terminated based on the evaluation?
Teachers are evaluated everyday. I'm evaluated four times a year by my principal and others. If I mess up in a communication with a parent, it is usually brought to my principal's attention and then the crap rolls downhill. My principal is not afraid of firing people because of poor communication skills.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Republican State Representative Kelli Stargal (FL) has proposed legislation that would mandate teachers evaluate parents on their involvement in their kids' educations. (Sorry I can't provide a link at the moment, but it's on the front page of CNN. Could someone else oblige?)

Any thoughts?
Uhhhh... As a teacher, there is no freakin' way you could ever get me to evaluate a parent. Nope. Nuh-uh. Sorry. And I sure as heck wouldn't want it in return.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
I don't think a teacher would realistically have enough information to accurately "grade" a parent.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 AM

249 posts, read 753,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Does anyone really care what a teacher thinks of your parenting?
Probably no more than I care about what parents think of my teaching

Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
Probably no more than I care about what parents think of my teaching
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education