Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,965 times

Advertisements

Some teachers can not even parent their own children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,663,818 times
As a homeowner we are always being hit up to pay more and more taxes for teacher training -again and again. Clearly, qualified teachers aren't being hired to teach children so what the heck makes anyone think they are qualified to evaluate parents, many whom have more educaton than they do! What a joke.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
No. The parent is the employer and the teacher is the employee. The child is the student.

I have had children in public school and took one out and put him in a private school because the teaching staff was not up to par. If I had it to do over again, neither of my children would step a foot into the school I took my son out of. I feel I abused my daughter by leaving her there, but she was the first child to come home telling me the same things my son later came home telling me. The second time around I listened. Rules changed by the minute according to which child they were directed at and what that child's social standing was in the neighborhood. We had moved there.

The difference between public school and private school is something I would never have thought possible. The principal at the private school told us that if changing the cafeteria sink would help our children learn, he would do it.

The public school assistant principal basically told me that he would do with my child exactly what he wanted to and there was nothing I could do about it and my child had to be in school because it was law. Then he said, "I will see you next year" and I said, "No you won't." I think he was used to dealing with parents who did not have the money to do anything about his bad school.

I did see him when a group of church leaders were in a conference trying to do something about helping children not get mixed up with devil worshippers. He was so embarrassed he would not even look at me.

Yes, the parent should be the employer, but some public schools treat parents like they have no rights over their child's education. The private school did more for my child with the fraction of money that the state spends. When my son got up in the morning, he knew exactly what was expected of him and all I had to do to get him to school was to drive him. I didn't have to make sure he did his homework, he put on proper clothes without me having to supervise, he was on time. The difference was the discipline in the private school and the organization that let him know what his responsibilities were. And the rules were the same for everybody.

What I am trying to say here is that there should be no reason for the teacher to evaluate the parents. Maybe some of them just need to start doing their jobs.

Last edited by NCN; 02-06-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM

70 posts, read 178,497 times
It seems this has been a very old issue (if not a problem) already. Teachers and Parents of the PTA, they seem to be in their own sides. Cannot we just help each other and focus on the kids? Yes it's true that teachings starts at home, and school is the extension, so the better we get in-synch, then it will be better. We all love our kids!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
As a homeowner we are always being hit up to pay more and more taxes for teacher training -again and again. Clearly, qualified teachers aren't being hired to teach children so what the heck makes anyone think they are qualified to evaluate parents, many whom have more educaton than they do! What a joke.
1. That training is mandated by the state and not asked for by teachers.
2. Maybe you are more highly educated than I am but I doubt it.
3. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is evaluate parents. I have enough paperwork that has nothing to do with teaching as it is.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM

249 posts, read 753,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You're not being hit up for teacher training. You're being hit up for the education of your children. If it's not worth it to you, that's your business.

Professional development is a requirement. It's the same way your dentist, doctor or accountant needs to go to workshops or other classes to learn and explore new concepts in their field or collaborate with their colleagues.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't want to evaluate parents. It's just one more piece of paperwork that would be added to my day that would take away from the job I'm there to do, which is to teach.

Just a FYI though, more education does not equal better parenting. I've seen some highly educated parents that were the crappiest parental units. I've also seen some single mothers without a high school diploma that would do anything in their power to make sure their child has a better future than they have.

Last edited by ccnj; 02-07-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
Allow parents in failing public school districts vouchers to send their child to a private school of their choice. Let the failing schools either shape up or close.Stop these mills we call public schools from turning out young people that are unable to function in society. Parents that use these vouchers will be "forced" into being involved in their childrens education. When I enrolled my kids in private school I was given a list of requirements I as a parent had to fulfill in order to have my child enrolled there. It works because you have no choice, I know this country is all about choice but we have taken this to such an extreme.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No. The parent is the employer and the teacher is the employee. The child is the student.

What I am trying to say here is that there should be no reason for the teacher to evaluate the parents. Maybe some of them just need to start doing their jobs.
The teacher is not the employee of the parent. The teacher executes a service mandated by the government and provided by tax money, which we all pay whether or not we currently have children in the public school system. The administration is charged with the task of evaluating the teacher for effectiveness and intervening in disagreements. Yes, we can all name a horror story of the rotten administrator, just like we can all name the story of some rotten, abusive parent. There are bad apples in any bunch, whether you look at administrators, teachers, or parents. At the same time, there are plenty of good apples in those bunches too.

I agree that teachers have no place evaluating parents. Likewise, parents have no place evaluating teachers. They are not trained to do so, nor do they have the expertise to understand the intricacies of managing a classroom of 30+ kids with widely varied needs, a very different thing from having 2 kids of your own. In the same way that some parents scoff at getting heavy-handed advice and criticism on their parenting skills from those who have no children of their own, they have no business evaluating the teacher, and frankly little room to be offering advice unless they themselves have taught in a classroom for a certain number of years. Even then, it's given about as much weight as when your in-laws think they need to nit-pick every little detail you do wrong in raising their grandchild .

Ideally, everyone takes a big step back and works to do the best they can at their end of the job: the parent acts as parent and the teacher acts as teacher. The more time spent focused on your end and less time trying to tell the other end how to work makes for a more efficient and ultimately successful outcome.

Last edited by h886; 02-07-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Of course! There should be parent accountability and student accountability along with teacher accountability.

A child's primary teacher is his/her parent.
we can't hold parents accountable to properly medicate their kids when they have chronic medical problems, but we can hold them accountable if they don't help their kids with their homework???
Good luck.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I learn all my students' names on the second day of class--legal limits are 33 per class and 150 overall, although there are years that exceed those numbers initially. I'm trying to model a learning technique that I expect them to use. I am 100% accurate in class that day before the class is over. Every day I practice until I know everyone when they are in class without reviewing. That usually takes me a week or so. There are usually a couple of students in each class whose names I continue to mix up with another student--usually one with a similar name, appearance, or behavior. It takes about three weeks before I know everyone outside class and can greet them in the hall by name.

I've done this every year for 25 years. It gets more difficult as the years go by, partly because of age, and partly because of all the thousands of other names I have stored away. It's particularly difficult when I have more than 150 students, my legal limit. But it is important to me to show the students that I value them. To me, learning their name shows them that I respect them as an individual. I'm fortunate because I do have somewhat of a photographic memory. That is very useful when I have a couple of dozen names like Quandtavious with a silent D!

I understand that many people are not good with names or faces, but I have a definite problem with teachers who don't even recognize their own students now that we are in January. Some never learn their names all year long. To me, that is inexcusable.

It is very rewarding to have a student come back after 15 years and find that not only can I tell them their name, but I can tell them who they were in class with, where they sat, and also recall details about them and their families. It's getting more difficult every year, and I don't always recognize them, but more often than not, I do. It's one of the things that keeps me at the same school--my reward for teaching a child usually comes many years later when I run into them again as adults. They often apologize for their youthful transgressions, and I have to assure them that I understood that they were just kids at the time. Never forgotten but long forgiven!
Thank You!!!
If you as a teacher, can't take the time to learn your students names by Thanksgiving, I would have serious doubts about your ability to teach them. It only takes me treating a patient a couple of times to remember them, and it usually brings a smile to their face when I do.
And don't they make most of the middle school and high school kids wear ID's now anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education