Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion; we were just having the same discussion last night. We are in northeastern PA -- NOT the suburbs of Philly, which I believe is what the earlier posters who lauded eastern PA schools were talking about. We do NOT have good schools and I'm at my wits' end about what to do about our kids.

I have the kindergartner in a private Montessori, but finances-wise, that can't continue. The fourth-grader is in a public cyber charter school after we took her out of the Montessori at the end of 3rd grade. She is not doing badly - has straight As - but she has gained weight, and her attitude and smart mouth are worrying us. She misses the socialization badly.

We have zero other options beyond public school/cyber charter and the lone private school that my son attends... within about 45 minutes, that is.

But at this point, I'm seriously considering a public charter school that's an hour and 15 minutes away from our house. Before you react, consider that the public high school that we are zoned for is an hour-plus bus ride. Yes, the elementary school would be only 20 minutes away, but it is in Corrective Action; has not met AYP; at one point in the last few year was ranked fifth-worst in the state in math scores. I know test scores aren't everything, but they do count for something...

We are not in a position to move for at least a year, if then. It's just not in the cards. But it's what I want to do, so I'm also searching far and wide. I also want a non-religious, liberal atmosphere, so I'm really interested in what you find out, TexasDiver.

My husband thinks I will never be satisfied with the public schools, no matter where we live. I would like to prove him wrong, but don't know where to begin to look.

And, he made the same argument that's being made here: that things are tough all over, will be getting much tougher for the next several years, and that the very things that would attract me to a "good" school system anywhere (academic excellence, a curriculum that encourages critical thinking, arts and a thriving extracurricular environment, a committed community, etc.) are likely to be the first to disappear as budget cuts go deeper and deeper.

So I don't know where to go either... I know we are looking at a draconian solution in the form of a horrendous car ride to a decent school -- but it's all we can do right now.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Interesting discussion; we were just having the same discussion last night. We are in northeastern PA -- NOT the suburbs of Philly, which I believe is what the earlier posters who lauded eastern PA schools were talking about. We do NOT have good schools and I'm at my wits' end about what to do about our kids.

I have the kindergartner in a private Montessori, but finances-wise, that can't continue. The fourth-grader is in a public cyber charter school after we took her out of the Montessori at the end of 3rd grade. She is not doing badly - has straight As - but she has gained weight, and her attitude and smart mouth are worrying us. She misses the socialization badly.

We have zero other options beyond public school/cyber charter and the lone private school that my son attends... within about 45 minutes, that is.

But at this point, I'm seriously considering a public charter school that's an hour and 15 minutes away from our house. Before you react, consider that the public high school that we are zoned for is an hour-plus bus ride. Yes, the elementary school would be only 20 minutes away, but it is in Corrective Action; has not met AYP; at one point in the last few year was ranked fifth-worst in the state in math scores. I know test scores aren't everything, but they do count for something...

We are not in a position to move for at least a year, if then. It's just not in the cards. But it's what I want to do, so I'm also searching far and wide. I also want a non-religious, liberal atmosphere, so I'm really interested in what you find out, TexasDiver.

My husband thinks I will never be satisfied with the public schools, no matter where we live. I would like to prove him wrong, but don't know where to begin to look.

And, he made the same argument that's being made here: that things are tough all over, will be getting much tougher for the next several years, and that the very things that would attract me to a "good" school system anywhere (academic excellence, a curriculum that encourages critical thinking, arts and a thriving extracurricular environment, a committed community, etc.) are likely to be the first to disappear as budget cuts go deeper and deeper.

So I don't know where to go either... I know we are looking at a draconian solution in the form of a horrendous car ride to a decent school -- but it's all we can do right now.

Any suggestions?

There is a very east coast attitude toward public schools. Many parts of the east coast are private school snobs-but for good reason, many states on the east coast have crappy public schools. Our public schools here are equal to or better then pretty much every private school around the country. Our test scores for college testing lead the nation (ACT/SAT). We have good support for education, for the most part, here. There are a few districts that aren't so good but in our metro area, that is about 5 districts out of 50+.

Have you considered moving?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I consider it daily
But we are not financially in a position to do so. We couldn't sell our house for what we owe.

Golfgal, where are you located?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,798 times
Quote:
There is a very east coast attitude toward public schools. Many parts of the east coast are private school snobs-but for good reason, many states on the east coast have crappy public schools. Our public schools here are equal to or better then pretty much every private school around the country. Our test scores for college testing lead the nation (ACT/SAT). We have good support for education, for the most part, here. There are a few districts that aren't so good but in our metro area, that is about 5 districts out of 50+.

Normally I agree with your posts but I have to completely disagree on this one. Connecticut has one of the top public school systems in the country. Also included in that list are Massachusettes and Maryland. While there are some extremely exclusive and expensive prep schools filled with kids from NYC (and across the globe) most private schools are either for people looking for a religious education for their children or for people who live in the inner cities where the public schools are apt to have more urban issues. I think you've been watching too much Gossip Girl.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
I consider it daily
But we are not financially in a position to do so. We couldn't sell our house for what we owe.

Golfgal, where are you located?
Minnesota---sometimes you have to weigh the cost of that financial position. Is it really worth your child's education to stay put? I know it is a tough decision and the job market certainly isn't favorable but you only have a few more years with your kids--it goes by SO fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
Normally I agree with your posts but I have to completely disagree on this one. Connecticut has one of the top public school systems in the country. Also included in that list are Massachusettes and Maryland. While there are some extremely exclusive and expensive prep schools filled with kids from NYC (and across the globe) most private schools are either for people looking for a religious education for their children or for people who live in the inner cities where the public schools are apt to have more urban issues. I think you've been watching too much Gossip Girl.
Never heard of Gossip Girl and if you look at threads here and on other boards there very much is an East Coast biased against public schools. There are more than 3 states on the east coast last time I checked but Massachusetts is one of the BIGGEST pro-private schools of the bunch. Also, running into people that have moved from the east coast to our area are flabbergasted that more people don't send their kids to private schools-but we also know that we don't NEED to do so because our public schools are top notch--again, beating out Conn, Mass, and Maryland in ACT/SAT scores year after year after year.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Minnesota---sometimes you have to weigh the cost of that financial position. Is it really worth your child's education to stay put? I know it is a tough decision and the job market certainly isn't favorable but you only have a few more years with your kids--it goes by SO fast.

Never heard of Gossip Girl and if you look at threads here and on other boards there very much is an East Coast biased against public schools. There are more than 3 states on the east coast last time I checked but Massachusetts is one of the BIGGEST pro-private schools of the bunch. Also, running into people that have moved from the east coast to our area are flabbergasted that more people don't send their kids to private schools-but we also know that we don't NEED to do so because our public schools are top notch--again, beating out Conn, Mass, and Maryland in ACT/SAT scores year after year after year.
First of all you have to factor in participation rate. In Minnesota 7% of graduating students took the SAT in CT it was 84% That's a huge difference -the larger the participation rate the lower the avereage score will be-In 2010 it was actually Iowa with the highest SAT scores but only a 3% participation rate.

Now there are people here who compete to get their children into expensive big name private prep schools but it is a status thing -It by no means reflects that the local public schools are "crappy" The only exception are our inner city urban schools which have their own issues and yes lower test scores.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
First of all you have to factor in participation rate. In Minnesota 7% of graduating students took the SAT in CT it was 84% That's a huge difference -the larger the participation rate the lower the avereage score will be-In 2010 it was actually Iowa with the highest SAT scores but only a 3% participation rate.

Now there are people here who compete to get their children into expensive big name private prep schools but it is a status thing -It by no means reflects that the local public schools are "crappy" The only exception are our inner city urban schools which have their own issues and yes lower test scores.
Yep and same goes for the ACT, which is becoming the test of choice for most colleges now, thus why most MN grads take the ACT vs the SAT. Believe it or not we have inner city schools here with crappy test scores too.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yep and same goes for the ACT, which is becoming the test of choice for most colleges now, thus why most MN grads take the ACT vs the SAT. Believe it or not we have inner city schools here with crappy test scores too.
MN students take the ACT vs SAT because historically that has been a regional preference. The Midwest and the South preferring the ACT and the East and West coast preferring the SAT. I'm not quite so sure that the ACT is a test of choice for most colleges. I'd love to see some information backing that up. Up until recently not all schools even accepted ACT scores.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
MN students take the ACT vs SAT because historically that has been a regional preference. The Midwest and the South preferring the ACT and the East and West coast preferring the SAT. I'm not quite so sure that the ACT is a test of choice for most colleges. I'd love to see some information backing that up. Up until recently not all schools even accepted ACT scores.
Look on any college website and you will find your information. The ACT is a more comprehensive test, testing more then just writing skills and math which is why more and more schools are moving toward this test.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
As of 2007, all US colleges accept the ACT

All four-year U.S. colleges now accept ACT test - USATODAY.com

Quote:
For decades, the 81-year-old SAT, owned by New York-based College Board, was the test of choice for colleges on the East and West Coasts. The ACT, which made its debut in 1959 and is based in Iowa City, was adopted primarily by schools in between.

Students in certain states still favor a particular test, but for colleges, the distinction faded as more schools sought to nationalize their student populations. Harvey Mudd, for example, wants more applicants from the ACT-dominant South and Midwest, which represent 9% and 7% of its applicant pool, respectively. California, an SAT state, represents 45%.
ACT or SAT Which is Better? Learn if Colleges Prefer ACT or SAT

Quote:
So, do colleges like the ACT or SAT better? The truth is that most selective colleges and universities accept either test. Depending on your individual strengths and weaknesses, you should make the choice of which one to take. If you are still undecided about taking the ACT or SAT, you should take both and become familiar with the two formats. Then, you can evaluate your test performance on each one and retake the one you choose, if necessary. After all, when you prepare for the test best suited to your skills, you will generally score higher. That is the most important factor in the demanding college admission process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education