Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times

Advertisements

Catholic schools here base tuition on family income and number of kids....
so it is no surprise (to me!) that a poor family with 12 kids would have little or no payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
The government doesn't pay people to send their kids to private schools. They might get tax breaks for having children, but that's it.

The Lutheran grade school I went to had a very large family with children attending there. They literally had over 20 kids in this family, all but one or two adopted. I heard they got a lot of tax breaks and such, but never heard anything about the government paying for them to go to school. This school was church supported and yearly tuition was not very expensive, though.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Catholic schools are typically very good at finding ways for active parishioners to be able to attend the parish affiliated school. At most of them, you pay nothing after the fourth of fifth child. Financial aid is through the diocese, and some are better than others. However, it isn't difficult for poor active Catholics to get financial aid in most places.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
That's just wrong for somebody to have 12 kids and reap benefits from tax payer money for being irresponsible. I would be offended even if they got welfare. If you want to be Catholic, try abstinence instead of simply not using birth control AND not using any self-restraint.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Back when I went to catholic schools, if you have more than 3 kids in at once, the other kids over the third one, would not have to pay tuition. This worked out well for large families with twins. I do not know if this is done anymore.

And yes parochial schools do scholarships, most often these are paid for by alumni contributions. They do have scholarship funds set up, in memory of XX, etc. Not just athletic scholarships, they are need based.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
That's just wrong for somebody to have 12 kids and reap benefits from tax payer money for being irresponsible. I would be offended even if they got welfare. If you want to be Catholic, try abstinence instead of simply not using birth control AND not using any self-restraint.
I'm going to agree with "miyu" on this one. I volunteer at some local charities and I see the actual need in my community. I work with a lot of people who made bad decisions in their past, but are trying to get their lives in order. Or homeless teens with crappy parents just fighting to stay alive in this world. Resources to help people are not in over abundance. There is just so much money to go around to help people out.

I remember clearly, that the neighbor said her family received "government assistance". She didn't mention that the school helped her in any way. She left me hanging there thinking what ever I wanted to think. I do find it interesting that she couldn't look me in the eye when she admitted that to me. Plus, with a family that big and only one income, I think it's a safe bet that they are probably on all kinds of different government assistance that our taxes are paying for.

My paternal grandparents had 13 children. However, that family owns several farms and ranches. They own the land that grows their food. Big families are not uncommon in rural America, in fact they are necessary. What is not necessary is a huge family living in the city, draining the financial aid and other resources that could be distributed to a lot of other, smaller families who are homeless or legitimately in dire need.

If you plan on reproducing as many times as your religion wants you to, you need to have a plan to provide for that many people. It shouldn't be up to the government to provide it for you.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Then she must be mistaken. The government does not provide assistance for private school. If it did, there would be many fewer kids in inner city schools. The Catholic Church does not allow for the use of artificial birth control, which is why the schools often make it so large families can afford tuition.

Just because a family is a one income family does not mean said family is destitute. The husband could make a decent salary, and they probably live frugally.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Back when I went to catholic schools, if you have more than 3 kids in at once, the other kids over the third one, would not have to pay tuition. This worked out well for large families with twins. I do not know if this is done anymore.

And yes parochial schools do scholarships, most often these are paid for by alumni contributions. They do have scholarship funds set up, in memory of XX, etc. Not just athletic scholarships, they are need based.
Heh, just saying that the school near where I grew up had\has a HUGE sports oriented following. I know of SEVERAL good athletes that they flat out recruited to come play for them and the kicker is that:

1) The athletes weren't catholic and were definitely not decent students or upstanding citizens.

2) The school they left to attend the catholic school were as good or BETTER learning environments. (This wasn't some inner city crappy public school setting.)

3) They never sought out people to attend their school and gave them financial aid for anything but sports.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
This game is fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Huge family attends private school for free!-welfare-bingo.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
I remember clearly, that the neighbor said her family received "government assistance". She didn't mention that the school helped her in any way. She left me hanging there thinking what ever I wanted to think. I do find it interesting that she couldn't look me in the eye when she admitted that to me. Plus, with a family that big and only one income, I think it's a safe bet that they are probably on all kinds of different government assistance that our taxes are paying for.
She's probably just wrong or doesn't handle the family finances. Please name this "government assistance program" that pays for private school tuition for poor people's children. Other than school vouchers which are available to anyone in a few areas now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education