Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
I just met one of my neighbors and learned they had 12 kids, between the ages of 2 yrs to 18 yrs old. I knew they had multiple kids, but not 12! I've been here forever and they've lived here just over 10 yrs and we've never gotten a chance to just talk until recently. When we got to talking about our kids and the new public schools in the area, I learned that every one of their kids went to a prestigious Catholic school. Of course my foot-in-mouth reaction was, "Wow! That must be expensive!". I know, I shouldn't have said that and I do regret it since it is none of my business.

The wife looked down at the floor and told me that they were "poor and they get government funding" to attend the school, and they've been getting it for years! I was speechless. Her husband works in construction and she stays home.

Normally, I wouldn't care at all what anyone does to support their families as long as it doesn't take away from me and mine. However, I guess I took offense only because when I hit a rough patch and had to file for unemployment for the first time in my life, it was like pulling teeth trying to get my son qualified for a reduced lunch at his public school. My husband and I chose to have only one child because that was all we could barely afford way back then. And I really wanted at least 2 more down the road, but that didn't happen.

All these years my tax money has been supporting this family going to a better, more advanced school than my own son because they have tons of kids and one income. So, am I wrong about being offended? I guess I should've had as many kids as I wanted, the system would've fed them. (just being sarcastic). Sorry if I'm being petty, I just had to get this off my chest.
Back on topic please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I do not think that it was "governmental assistance" either, but as the original poster was annoyed, so was I. Mega families seem to get everything handed to them! They have reality shows, tax breaks, and yes tuition discounts.
Although we are not Catholic, we have chosen to send our children to a Catholic School and it's not cheap. We have two in High School at the same time. We can not afford 12 children and few people can without some sort of help.
Why are people rewarded for having huge families? I am FINE with rewarding people for certain things. How about educational intensives for lower income people to at least attain career related associate degrees before they start popping out babies? Not a car, but down payment assistance for a first home? Adding more stability to society!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do not think that it was "governmental assistance" either, but as the original poster was annoyed, so was I. Mega families seem to get everything handed to them! They have reality shows, tax breaks, and yes tuition discounts.
Although we are not Catholic, we have chosen to send our children to a Catholic School and it's not cheap. We have two in High School at the same time. We can not afford 12 children and few people can without some sort of help.
Why are people rewarded for having huge families? I am FINE with rewarding people for certain things. How about educational intensives for lower income people to at least attain career related associate degrees before they start popping out babies? Not a car, but down payment assistance for a first home? Adding more stability to society!
I agree. We should not reward people for breeding. If you want to have kids, that is your right but you are not owed something because you did. I remember seeing a show on a family with 12 kids a few years back. Because of the tax breaks, their income of about $45K was more like $80K (they paid no taxes and got money back) a reasonably sized family made. They had a financial advisor on the show and someone asked how much they needed to save for their kids for college. The answer? ZERO$$$ because they'd all end up with free college educations. They were getting government assistance on top of everything else. They had a nice home and the mom had money to spend on her hobby of antiquing.

I stopped at two kids because that's what I can afford so I get to pay taxes to support mega families and I get to pay for my kids to go to college without financial aid. I think that stinks.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Since the Catholic Church does not encourage using BC and THEY are the ones paying for the scholarships I really don't get what the issue is here.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 PM

I think that in reality today that most people who self identify as "Catholic" do practice some kind of birth control. I do not know of any or many Roman Catholic families who have more than 2 - 3 or 4 kids.

Born Again Christians seem to be picking up the slack. Look at television's Duggar family and the Gosslins. Fundies all.

They also seem to want to ADOPT huge amounts of kids. Many prefer children with disabilities.
Anyone have any idea why? I do. SSI

The problem is that there should be know reward for fecundity. Instead reward quality parenting.
These Reality Show Families and all that they receive - and for what - make me ill.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I think that in reality today that most people who self identify as "Catholic" do practice some kind of birth control. I do not know of any or many Roman Catholic families who have more than 2 - 3 or 4 kids.

Born Again Christians seem to be picking up the slack. Look at television's Duggar family and the Gosslins. Fundies all.

They also seem to want to ADOPT huge amounts of kids. Many prefer children with disabilities.

The problem is that there should be know reward for fecundity. Instead reward quality parenting.
These Reality Show Families and all that they receive - and for what - make me ill.
I don't begrudge anyone adopting a special needs child. The child is entitled to SSI whether they adopt them or not so it's not costing tax payers and the children need someone to care for them.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 PM

I begrudge them when they request children such as this with a monetary motive.
They look as though they are doing a great thing but there is an underlying and sinister reason.
Having worked in this field I know such people.
For the record, I am very pro adoption - one of my 2 chidren was adopted.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I begrudge them when they request children such as this with a monetary motive.
They look as though they are doing a great thing but there is an underlying and sinister reason.
Having worked in this field I know such people.
For the record, I am very pro adoption - one of my 2 chidren was adopted.
I think it's hard to know someone's motive in a case like this. Perhaps they feel caring for children is their calling but they can't handle both working a job and caring for kids so they choose kids who need a home and come with support.

Is there any real difference in doing a good thing for the wrong reasons and doing one for the right reasons? Now, if they're taking in kids they are not caring for, that is another story. If they are caring for them well, I have no issue if they've decided to treat caring for disabled children as their job and the support those children come with as their pay.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:

I'll have to disagree. I can't hazard a guess as to what other people do behind closed doors or why they do it, nor do I care to do so. All I am saying is if a church is saying "Don't use BC" but then back that up by providing scholarships to their schools and help to their parishioners, I just can't get angry about it.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Disagree with which part? I know plenty of people who say that they are Catholic and have been married over ten years and have average size families. Are they all sub fertile or abstaining?
I also know many people who call them selves "Catholic" who are divorced. Their church forbids that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education