Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,370,937 times

Advertisements

If the school district has a zero tolerance policy, then they have to stick with it. (not that I agree with zero tolerance...) Where I'm from, students have to check OTC meds in with the school nurse, which prevents them from giving them to their friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,660,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
I totaly disagree with you, its not that simple. I feel that they should have talked with her about it first and if it happens again then she would suffer the consequences as you stated. She didn't know that she was doing anything wrong and if anyone should be in trouble it should be her mother for giving it to her in the first place.
I guarantee its in their school handbook.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM

809 posts, read 1,325,897 times
I agree, it's a bit over the top but our society had made schools make these decisions so they are not liable. Reminds me of the student that drove the family van to school. His little brother had a water pistol (i believe it was florescent orange) in the front seat and the student was expelled. Someone walking by the van reported it. No guns of any type on school property.
It's just ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,836,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Our school has rules about that. Many OTC things can be dangerous, so no student is allowed to give anything to another student.

Here, if she broke the rules, she suffers the consequences.
That simple....
When a rule has been broken the consequences should be proportional to the offense. In this case the consequences are far out of whack with the rule that was broken.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,590,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Your granddaughter was suspended because some school administrators and school boards are incapable of objectively looking at facts and making common sense decisions based on the totality of the circumstances.
This is why I hate zero tolerance policies. I think that if a child is going to be suspended it should be about serious matters, not just things like this.

My school does have a rule that only herbal cough drops are allowed, you aren't allowed to bring anything with a medicine in it.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,324,227 times
I think a suspension in middle school over a cough drop carries zero weight on her long-term record, so she should enjoy her day(s) off and not even sweat it.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,137,668 times
A suspension is silly, yes. However, in this day and age, who doesn't already know that you can't send your kids to school with ANYTHING!?!

As someone else said, chances are, it's in the handbook. We get one every year at the beginning of the school year. And yes, I do actually read it to avoid stupidness like this (the rule, that is).

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,569,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When a rule has been broken the consequences should be proportional to the offense. In this case the consequences are far out of whack with the rule that was broken.
I agree with you. However, as long as angry parents are allowed to sue the school for everything under the sun, we will see this trickle down of ridiculous precautions designed to minimize the risk of lawsuits. It's a two-way street. If we don't want schools (and other public entities) to behave in such a paranoid manner, then we as a society have to push to change the laws and stop rewarding overly litigious behavior.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,836,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I agree with you. However, as long as angry parents are allowed to sue the school for everything under the sun, we will see this trickle down of ridiculous precautions designed to minimize the risk of lawsuits. It's a two-way street. If we don't want schools (and other public entities) to behave in such a paranoid manner, then we as a society have to push to change the laws and stop rewarding overly litigious behavior.
I have to think that there will be someone who will sue over the overzealous punishments. At some point people will get tired of having to defend their kids against stupidity like this. That is the only thing that will stop this sort of ridiculous behavior by the adults who are supposed to be in charge.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,569,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have to think that there will be someone who will sue over the overzealous punishments. At some point people will get tired of having to defend their kids against stupidity like this. That is the only thing that will stop this sort of ridiculous behavior by the adults who are supposed to be in charge.
You're missing my point. These overly zealous precautions have been put in place after ridiculous lawsuits against school districts. A child brings Tylenol to school with their parents' permission. They either give some to a friend or someone takes it from their backpack when they aren't looking. Maybe the kid has a bad reaction to Tylenol. Maybe they purposefully overdose. The second kid dies and their parents are heartbroken. They sue the school for failing to provide a safe environment and win. Who pays up? The taxpayers. The settlement money ultimately comes out of the same pot the district would have used on our kids.

What we need to be tired of is people thinking every one of life's misfortunes is an opportunity to cash in. Nowadays you can't have accidents. You can't have rotten luck. You can't have a kid coming across something they shouldn't or making a tragic mistake. It's all about finding someone to blame and suing their butt off. Until we as a society get past that and learn to recognize the difference between actually being harmed by someone else's extreme negligence and the tragedy of a terrible accident, we will continue to see public entities going to extremes to lessen risk. If we don't like that as a society, we need to work to change the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education