Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times

Advertisements

Class size and student to teacher ratio is less of an issue if all of the students are at similar cognitive levels, all learning at the same pace.

When one teacher is required to teach to multiple groups with differing abilities within the same classroom - in effect teaching three different classes simultaneously- then yes, student to teacher ratio holds more importance.

I had close to 30 students in my classes during my K-12 education, with no noticeable negative impact to my educational opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
It's not just the teachers, but also the classmates. Many people send kids to private schools because they want them to have better friends.

When I was a child I lived in a university (in China) and the school was affiliated with the university. Before I went to high school, all my classmates had been children of university employees, and most of us are children of faculty members.

When I went to high school in the "city", I was shocked by the rudeness and violence of other children -- most of whom from "working class" families. There were so many bullies, bad behaviors, and problematic parents...

Anyway, among the 30+ old classmates of mine, 3 eventually got PhDs in the US, and the vast majority graduated from colleges in China and have decent jobs.

Last edited by Bettafish; 11-02-2017 at 01:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
And many people send their "problem" kid to private school, because for whatever reason, the child could not hack it in public schools. Because private school's tuition depends on the parent's payments, they are likely to be more accommodating to a child's issues, be it behavioral or otherwise.

Bullies, bad behaviors, and problematic parents all exist in private schools as well. They are basic human behaviors found across all SES.

There also exist private schools which have less stringent academic standards and credentialing standards for their teachers than some public schools (direct personal experience). It will vary depending on the private and the public school being compared.

It is not accurate to compare private and public schools in China with the US; two completely different systems from vastly different countries, with totally different histories.

Last edited by mingna; 11-02-2017 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 06:32 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's not just the teachers, but also the classmates. Many people send kids to private schools because they want them to have better friends.

When I was a child I lived in a university (in China) and the school was affiliated with the university. Before I went to high school, all my classmates had been children of university employees, and most of us are children of faculty members.

When I went to high school in the "city", I was shocked by the rudeness and violence of other children -- most of whom from "working class" families. There were so many bullies, bad behaviors, and problematic parents...

Anyway, among the 30+ old classmates of mine, 3 eventually got PhDs in the US, and the vast majority graduated from colleges in China and have decent jobs.

"Better friends?" I wonder what, exactly, constitutes "better friends" in your book. My daughter went to a very diverse high school. As drum major in the marching band, she mentored a special needs student, helping her to be able to participate in marching competitions. Her school had students from many foreign countries as well as the full range of socioeconomic backgrounds. Many of these students would never have been able to afford or have been admitted to private schools. The growth my daughter got from associating with a variety of students was of more value to her than being part of a homogeneous group. BTW, she now has an MBA and a very, very good job.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
"Better friends?" I wonder what, exactly, constitutes "better friends" in your book. My daughter went to a very diverse high school. As drum major in the marching band, she mentored a special needs student, helping her to be able to participate in marching competitions. Her school had students from many foreign countries as well as the full range of socioeconomic backgrounds. Many of these students would never have been able to afford or have been admitted to private schools. The growth my daughter got from associating with a variety of students was of more value to her than being part of a homogeneous group. BTW, she now has an MBA and a very, very good job.
Better friends are those with good education from their family and are less likely to become criminals.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:27 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
"Better friends?" I wonder what, exactly, constitutes "better friends" in your book.
"Better friends" for you means a diverse group from a full range of socioeconomic backgrounds. "Better friends" for the poster to whom you were responding means non-rude, non-violent classmates. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I went to private school for elementary.

My dad did not mince words - he said it was because he was willing to pay for me to go to school with other white kids "with class" as he put it. He meant more than just white, he meant the "right kind of white" (WASP).

In other words, he wanted me to associate with other kids of my race, income/wealth level, and culture.

I actually enjoyed the public schools more & made better friends there, although the quality of education was somewhat lower (but not that much).

Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrts123 View Post
According to me, Government schools charm getting fade due to non availability of study material and even teacher are not showing their interest towards the students.Students of government school always complaining about teaching not giving proper attention to the students.Teachers always busy in staff room and their personal chats
where as the private schools give proper attention towards their students and provide good and beneficial study materials.

What do you think Which is better Government school or Private school??????
Who ever has the most engaged parents.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrts123 View Post
According to me, Government schools charm getting fade due to non availability of study material and even teacher are not showing their interest towards the students.Students of government school always complaining about teaching not giving proper attention to the students.Teachers always busy in staff room and their personal chats
where as the private schools give proper attention towards their students and provide good and beneficial study materials.

What do you think Which is better Government school or Private school??????
Not to be cheeky, but at the better school...

Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"Better friends" for you means a diverse group from a full range of socioeconomic backgrounds. "Better friends" for the poster to whom you were responding means non-rude, non-violent classmates. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Does anyone assume that wealthy, white kids are not rude? My sister is a teacher in an elementary school with a high socioeconomic demographic and she can present many stories of the kids telling the teachers what to do and their parents backing them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education