Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:01 AM

698 posts, read 567,488 times

Advertisements

Fine and dandy. But your family decisions -- for whatever reasons made -- have nothing to do with the Big Picture of public schools versus private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrts123 View Post
According to me, Public schools charm getting fade due to non availability of study material and even teacher are not showing their interest towards the students.Students of government school always complaining about teaching not giving proper attention to the students.Teachers always busy in staff room and their personal chats
where as the private schools give proper attention towards their students and provide good and beneficial study materials.

What do you think Which is better Public school or Private school??????
It depends, not all private schools are good nor all public schools are bad.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
The point here is over the persistent error inherent in attempts to compare top selective private schools to ordinary public schools. It's a dishonest comparison. All it will get you is the same invalid results as obtain in comparing top selective public schools to ordinary private schools.

It is possible to obtain a quality education from either type of school, but when differences in student characteristics are corrected for, it is public schools that have the higher levels of overall performance. A variety of factors contributes to this. I invite you to look into it.
Never met an "ordinary" private school. Lots of "whatever" public schools, however...to the point my neighbors (I had warned them) have either moved out of town or state after sending their kids to the public schools for a few years.

You can correct all day long for race, parental income, parental level of education & that means nothing other than the fact that it was "corrected for".

I invite YOU to share your sources, and your experience as a parent in both....do you have either?

Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 PM

554 posts, read 683,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't agree at all that private school education is more well-rounded. IME it's the opposite; public schools, being publicly-funded, have a lot more money to work with, so they can afford things like real music classes and band training, more foreign language selection, more "social studies" courses to choose from, plus they offer the state-required courses, like State History and World Cultures, which private schools are exempt from. Depending on the school, public schools offer more science in the grades leading up to highschool.

The strength of private schools is small class sizes, and a college-preparatory focus for all, which they do very well. They offer plenty of SAT prep, advanced grammar instruction to build solid, professional writing skills, and vocabulary-building, also aimed at SAT prep. What they often can't afford is the extra staffing required to offer a broad selection of elective courses, and non-academic electives, like photography. Private schools tend to keep students in study hall for hours each day, because there aren't enough course options for the students to fill out their schedule. Even so-called elite private schools may lack musical instruments for a proper music class or band. IMO private school education is anything but "well-rounded", but is great for preparing kids to get into college and do well there. It's a very narrow focus.
Wow. I don't know what state you live in, but I can't imagine that public schools in your area could have more money to spend than the nearly 300 million dollar combined endowments of the top 3 private schools in our city plus the $28-30K tuition dollars per student...

At least in Dallas, the "top" privates have FAR more resources - and freedom to implement them - than any of the public schools. Texas is a state that is slashing education funding left and right and because of Robin Hood, even the wealthier districts don't get to keep their money. I can see where smaller private schools could have fewer resources, but most of the reputable private schools here have far more resources than the public schools. The only area where I've heard people complain about "deficits" in private school "well-rounded-ness" is in the world of athletics - and most of that comes from having a very small, selective student body, not from financing.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM

12,835 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I suspect there is no one right answer depending on where you live and the quality of public vs private schools and their student demographics.

And for comparison purposes it does no good to compare the extreme of one type vs the typical or verb opposite extreme of the others. As per the above, schools with $300M endowments and $30K tuition are a long way from private schools on many areas. So the comparison is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education