Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
Yes 44 29.93%
No 103 70.07%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times

Advertisements

I started high school as one of the shortest and grew into the tallest in the graduating class! After being picked on most of my school life it was nice to be in High school and able to no longer be hassled. The curriculum was more difficult than previous g rades and therefore more interesting. It was the stepping stone to college, which made it worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,580,571 times
Default Full Circle

No I hated it. The cliques and goody-two shoes who looked down at everyone. They held all the offices, cheerleading and sports. They talked about people behind their backs and excluded them from their world. Guess what? Those baby boomers are now the ones in the 55+ communities, running everything and have their own cliques and still excluding people.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM

88,014 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
It's the title
Honestly, I hated it
Hated it. I mostly just wanted to die back then. I just did not fit in with other kids. It felt like the longest four years of my life. Now, 35 years later, it amazes me how fast four years can go by! I still don't fit in with the other kids, lol, but I embrace that now.

When I hear about kids committing suicide in their teen years, I feel so bad. I wish I could tell them that this period is not all there is to life, nor will you be defined forever by how you perceive yourself in high school.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:59 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,819,214 times
enjoyed it. went to an urban public school. had great friends, played 3 varsity sports, great teachers. could not have asked for a better experience. but thats me. high school should have a warning label - "results may vary" LOL

Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 10,574 times
If forced to give a black and white answer I would say no, i didn't like it. But, in truth, there were some fun times mixed in there.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,115,212 times
Loved high school very much. In fact, my love for being a student is one of the main things that factored into my decision to pursue a teaching degree/certification (which I'll be finished with next year).

Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM

94 posts, read 288,690 times
I hated it, but I've gotten over it.

I substitute teach currently, and it's interesting to be on the other side of the desk. So much of what is perceived to be "important" is, in all actuality, nothing but a bunch of BS.

I wish I had taken my studies a bit more seriously. That's my only regret. I don't feel bitterness over anything else anymore. I did what I thought was the best thing to do at the time. I was a scared, awkward kid who never fit into any "cliques." It took me awhile to "get over" those years, and some of my mistakes/things that happened to me, but I finally have.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
I transferred to a "slum" school for my last two years of High School. After showing the guys that this surburban kid was just a tough as them we got along just fine. The classes were decent if not very challenging but the ladies were simply terrific. It has been 45 years and I still remember my senior year in High School.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,115,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
I hated it, but I've gotten over it.

I substitute teach currently, and it's interesting to be on the other side of the desk. So much of what is perceived to be "important" is, in all actuality, nothing but a bunch of BS.

I wish I had taken my studies a bit more seriously. That's my only regret. I don't feel bitterness over anything else anymore. I did what I thought was the best thing to do at the time. I was a scared, awkward kid who never fit into any "cliques." It took me awhile to "get over" those years, and some of my mistakes/things that happened to me, but I finally have.
How are you enjoying teaching? Are you pursuing a teaching career full-time?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

157 posts, read 139,975 times
Overalll, I loved high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education