Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
Yes 44 29.93%
No 103 70.07%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 AM

236 posts, read 859,880 times

Advertisements

I'm in high school now, and I love it. High school treated me way better than elementary and middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
I'm amazed at how many hated high school. I guess I always saw a lot of fun in it. Sure there was a lot of academic stress, and you're trying to find yourself, but there were parties to go to, and school activities--homecoming, prom, dances, football games, and it was all fun. I also learned a lot of stuff from different subjects. I like to learn for fun.

But then, I went to a really good high school. I didn't realize how awful most high schools were until I went to college and met people from different places. Some of the stories I heard...wow.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
I liked high school.

I loved college.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Hated the cliques, hated the popular kids, hated the jocks, hated the racial problems, loved my circle of friends, loved the girls.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,136 times
Default I hate it

I hate it. Isfeel like our school system is horrible.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Thumbs up Did you like High School ?

Sure, I liked HS. I wasn't one of the "cool" kids with well to do parents. I was just another working class kid, but I was also a jock and had good friends in HS.

Once I graduated and went away to college, life got even better, though. Took me a long time to pay off the college loans, but I'd say it was worth it.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Socially, I enjoyed high school. I honestly don't remember any type of bullying going on, and I wasn't in a cool clique. I did have lots of friends though, and some very good times.

Academically, it was mixed. The classes I liked I did very well in. The classes I hated (by subject matter, most of the teachers were pretty good) I totally tuned out during, and nobody seemed to care.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
On balance, I have to say yes. I didn't love everything about it, and there were times I didn't like it, but all in all, I had a very fortunate high school experience.

Compared to what I go through on my job, I'd go back to high school in a heartbeat, even if the condition were that I had to serve detention every day... Even with that, it would be a lot less intrusive on my life than my work schedule.

Of course, I liked college even more, and I'd go back to college before I would go back to high school. But I still liked high school, and would take it over working any day of the week.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
I went to four different high schools, two private and two good public. Mostly I was bored. I am lucky enough to have a near photographic memory to the point I remember what page number things are on that I have read and since all of the high schools I went to focused on that type of learning (regurgitating what you have read or heard) I skated through without ever having learned to study. Back then (late 80s early 90s) even the AP classes were just knowledge based and very, very little application.

College was more interesting and grad school far more so.

I only went into teaching for family reasons and not because I have a "calling" or anything. Most days I like it but no way am I a lifer. Its ironic because I was actually offered a spot at the school I teach at when I was in high school. I turned it down because all I heard was that it was harder, looking back I think I actually would have liked it alot.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:54 PM

127 posts, read 183,616 times
It's mixed for me. The upsides were: The amazing teachers I had, particularly my art and design teacher who believed in me, encouraged me, let me take several periods of art in a row, and gave me the creative freedom to design many of the graphics, pamphlets, programs, etc. for the school. Also, the fun kids I met through art class were awesome. They introduced me to all of the great alt-rock and indie bands of the 1990s, and to this day, I feel like a kid in a candy store when I listen to music from that time and remember how fun it was.

The downsides were boredom and lack of focus. I was an exceptional math student and got skipped ahead 3 years in math, an opportunity for which I am thankful to this day. However, I had difficulties with courses that require a lot of memorization, like history and other humanities, and for those classes, I had to stay at my own grade level. I had a lot of anxiety around tests in the humanities classes, and also, felt extremely bored and restless at times, to the point where I would cut class or skip school except for math and art class. They couldn't fail me because my scores in my best subjects provided me with an excellent GPA, and failing me would've dragged the school's academic ranking down.

Finally, my sexuality confused the hell out of me. I suspected I wasn't straight because I had a crush on a female teacher, couldn't stop staring at an attractive girl in my class, and would get incredibly jealous when female friends got boyfriends – probably not because of the boyfriends, but because I was falling for them.

The guys were a mixed bag. The older guys in my classes were nice to me, and I got asked to senior prom as a sophomore. However, the guys in my own grade made fun of me and one called me names and said I was gay. The few gay and bi males in the school had it much worse, though. The school also wasn't very diverse...it had a lot of small-town white kids who didn't like blacks, but desperately wanted to embody and emulate 1990s rap culture through their dress and mannerisms. I felt it was really hypocritical of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education