Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm pretty sure my email is private, since I have to enter a password to get in, and have to jump through hoops if I forget the password.
This is inaccurate. You having to authenticate to have access into your mail account is analogous to having a locked mailbox.

However, the way email is sent is analogous to a post card. Anyone who took part in delivering that post card could have read it. While emails are not delivered by people, anyone who has access to the delivery mechanism (servers, routers, network etc.) can read the contents. So therefore, it's not considered a private form of electronic communication.

To the OP's comments - As someone else mentioned, have you brought this up? or asked the other parents in the class if this is a widespread issue? Understanding that special needs students may require their own processes -you indicated that in your post that this method isn't working because the paperwork become paper airplanes. Is this the case for the majority of the class?

Just as you indicated that the school shouldn't assume that you just sit around and can "swing by" anytime... maybe you should also inquire to make sure that you're not trying to change something to suite your own needs (or the needs of a few)? And not saying your needs are not legitimate; but just because a process doesn't work for you, it doesn't' mean its broken. You may be an exception that needs to be addressed separately - but they won't know that if you don't try and work it out with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I know that some of our local school systems use a "Parent Portal" to report children's grades, etc... Others mentioned this above. It seems to me that scanning and downloading important documents to that Portal is a reasonable compromise. Then the parent can either drop it off with original signature or mail it themselves.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
I think e mailing is the best way to go. Get a PDF program for the school, scan your papers and e mail them to the appropriate people.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,065 times
What age/grade is the child that makes airplanes out of the papers? I think that I read somewhere in this post that he comes home to an empty house- he definitely should be able to bring papers home if he's old enough to be home alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education