Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times

Advertisements

Lately, I have been on the front lines of education; working as a tutor for students, who are long-shots to pass the upcoming State Standards in Mathematics. My general observation is that most of the students do not have an elementary (school) understanding of even the basic operations.
With the risk of this turning into a flash card or no flash card debate, I will say that is the way I learned the "times tables" and I couldn't forget them if I wanted to. The students will not be allowed to use calculators on the exam. By the time negative integers are introduced, only 20% are able to keep up.
Somebody sure did fail these students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
It's my experience that far too many kids today simply can't be bothered with memorizing things. They can look it up on their i-phones in seconds.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Lately, I have been on the front lines of education; working as a tutor for students, who are long-shots to pass the upcoming State Standards in Mathematics. My general observation is that most of the students do not have an elementary (school) understanding of even the basic operations.
With the risk of this turning into a flash card or no flash card debate, I will say that is the way I learned the "times tables" and I couldn't forget them if I wanted to. The students will not be allowed to use calculators on the exam. By the time negative integers are introduced, only 20% are able to keep up.
No, my friend...someone DIDN'T fail these students.
That's the problem.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 PM

134 posts, read 342,949 times
I've noticed there has been a strong push to teach children how to problem solve instead of memorization. I don't know if I completely agree with in because I don't see the harm in memorizing multiplication facts.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I agree. I've been working with 8th graders and they struggle to do the arithmetic involved with learning the math.

When they struggle with multiplication and division the higher level math goes out the window and never gets learned.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. I've been working with 8th graders and they struggle to do the arithmetic involved with learning the math.

When they struggle with multiplication and division the higher level math goes out the window and never gets learned.
Even if they were allowed to use calculators on the exam, many problems would require entering 10+ calculations. There is clearly a need to be swift with arithmetic in solving many Algebra applications.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
That's the problem.
Or they were failed and the parents pushed to get them socially passed. I've seen it too many times in my school.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and they are doing multiplication. They use songs to memorize their facts, they have a different song for each math fact, doubles, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, etc....

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
I agree completely. Also, these kids use their calculators as a crutch, and as a result they can't even do simple arithmetics.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM

40 posts, read 38,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
As a physics student with other friends in the hard sciences/maths courses I have to say in the end it doesn't matter. Most of the friends from what you would term "highschool" never remembered there timetables if they even learnt them in elementary school and got the best grades in maths and flew through there college maths. So being able to solve a problem is far better for your use later on. Still I'd say multiplication tables are useful to learn but by golly no ones failed you if you don't know them all off by heart. There is far more that can be done with hard work.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
That's the problem.

This is exactly the problem.

Here in the High School where I work Algebra 1 is the lowest (math) class on campus. Yet a very high percentage of students do not pass this class. Rather, I should say, they pass but do not know anything... Why?

Partly because of "appearances." You can show that a certain number of students "passed" algebra and went on to say, geometry, but in actuality the kids retain very little, if any knowledge.

If we really cared about students we'd bring back pre-algebra in high school, and get the kids to actually understand something.

And this is just one example out of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education