Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Any states still value education?

The problem is with the premise of this question. It's not up to the states to care about education. It's up to the parents and kids.
Go to countries like India, where my parents were educated (and my relatives still are educated) for a fraction of the money and resources we pour into our children here. And look at the drastic difference in quality. My little cousin doing organic chemistry in the 10th grade? Why? Because she's expected to. Her grades will be published in the newspaper. Her parents will make sure she understands and respects her educational opportunities. She will involve herself in math and art and music as our kids here involve themselves in Xbox and iPhone aps.
It's not what you put in. It's what you take away. If you don't care, all the money in the world doesn't matter.

This is the real difficulty...SOCIETY. Government will only do what we allow it to. People have been convinced education is not working (by gonernement and big business) so we go running to hem screaming FIX IT PLEASE...we aren't sure what is wrong, but you say it's broken CAN YOU (government) fix it?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This is the real difficulty...SOCIETY. Government will only do what we allow it to. People have been convinced education is not working (by gonernement and big business) so we go running to hem screaming FIX IT PLEASE...we aren't sure what is wrong, but you say it's broken CAN YOU (government) fix it?!
What's broken is our attitude about education and the sense of entitlement we've raised our kids to have. Education is everyone's responsibility but theirs. If your child fails, it must be the system's fault. It couldn't, possibly, be lack of effort on your child's part.

The vast majority of my students who fail, fail because they didn't do the work, they missed too much class or they don't pay attention but they and their parents act like they're entitled to a good grade anyway. Parents and administrators want to know what I'm going to do about my students who fail. I notify them and their parents they're failing and that I'm here if they want tutoring. I can count on three fingers the number of students who have shown up for tutoring.

The problem with the system is that it attempts to cater to everyone instead of students being expected to do what THEY need to do to succeed. Some kids need to see an example, others need to do 12 practice problems before they get something. By the time you're in high shcool, you should know which you are. Many of my students pretend they're the first type when they're really the second type and then act shocked when they don't get an A.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Funny how Liberals interpret "valuing schools" as continuing to throw vast amounts of money at them--even though studies have proved that better educational achievement is not correlated to more money spent (after the basics are provided).

Schools would be a lot better today if they focused on discipline instead of entertainment, real-world subject matter experts instead of "education majors" who are authorize to teach any class, pushing advanced students rather than investing a fortune in the absolute worst, and critical thinking skills relevant to modern life rather than social engineering.
The problem today is the education system has morphed in a jobs program and it's no longer an educational system.

Never mind the United States is near the top in spending being outspent only by Switzerland and Austria. We are an evil people who value ignorance because we are not giving teachers unions everything they want.

Rank Countries Amount
# 1 Switzerland: $9,348.00 per student
# 2 Austria: $8,163.00 per student
# 3 United States: $7,764.00 per student
# 4 Norway: $7,343.00 per student
# 5 Denmark: $7,200.00 per student
# 6 France: $6,605.00 per student
# 7 Italy: $6,458.00 per student
# 8 Germany: $6,209.00 per student
# 9 Japan: $5,890.00 per student
# 10 Australia: $5,830.00 per student
# 11 Sweden: $5,648.00 per student
# 12 Netherlands: $5,304.00 per student
# 13 United Kingdom: $5,230.00 per student
# 14 Israel: $5,115.00 per student
# 15 Portugal: $4,636.00 per student
# 16 Spain: $4,274.00 per student
# 17 Ireland: $3,934.00 per student
# 18 Greece: $3,287.00 per student
# 19 Czech Republic: $3,182.00 per student
# 20 Hungary: $2,140.00 per student
# 21 Thailand: $1,177.00 per student

Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The problem today is the education system has morphed in a jobs program and it's no longer an educational system.

Never mind the United States is near the top in spending being outspent only by Switzerland and Austria. We are an evil people who value ignorance because we are not giving teachers unions everything they want.
Yet the salaries of US teachers are not as high as those in other developed countries.

So education spending has increased but teachers are certainly not the main beneficiaries.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Yet the salaries of US teachers are not as high as those in other developed countries.

So education spending has increased but teachers are certainly not the main beneficiaries.
Exactly. It's become another one of those bloated government agencies that exists to serve itself...with redundant administrative positions and all sorts of other nonsense.
Used to be just 30 years ago, teachers outnumbered support staff by twice what they do now.
Whose bright idea was the increase in admin?

What happened was we got fat with money so we started adding all sorts of stupid perks. Now that it's time to trim the fat, the perkie people are in power, and they're not going to eliminate their own jobs. So they go after the teachers.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly. It's become another one of those bloated government agencies that exists to serve itself...with redundant administrative positions and all sorts of other nonsense.
Used to be just 30 years ago, teachers outnumbered support staff by twice what they do now.
Whose bright idea was the increase in admin?

What happened was we got fat with money so we started adding all sorts of stupid perks. Now that it's time to trim the fat, the perkie people are in power, and they're not going to eliminate their own jobs. So they go after the teachers.
Yep. There's something definitely wrong when a superintendent can make $250,000 a year and veteran teachers are barely making above $35,000. And, not only do you have a super, there's also the asst. of this, and another of that. Some districts can have 3 or 4 (or more) assistant superintendents all making VERY nice salaries. Then there are the principals. In my building we have the head principal and 3 assistants (all making well over double my salary) in a building with only 1200 students. In addition to that, we have 6 secretaries.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Funny how Liberals interpret "valuing schools" as continuing to throw vast amounts of money at them--even though studies have proved that better educational achievement is not correlated to more money spent (after the basics are provided).

Schools would be a lot better today if they focused on discipline instead of entertainment, real-world subject matter experts instead of "education majors" who are authorize to teach any class, pushing advanced students rather than investing a fortune in the absolute worst, and critical thinking skills relevant to modern life rather than social engineering.
Given motivation, it's possible to "advance bright students" and teach real-world subject matter and critical thinking skills without slashing the budgets to the point where School Advisory Committees are considering removing grass lawns and shortening the school day to save money: Pinellas brainstorms ways to cut education budget - St. Petersburg Times. That presupposes motivation, though.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Yep. There's something definitely wrong when a superintendent can make $250,000 a year and veteran teachers are barely making above $35,000. And, not only do you have a super, there's also the asst. of this, and another of that. Some districts can have 3 or 4 (or more) assistant superintendents all making VERY nice salaries. Then there are the principals. In my building we have the head principal and 3 assistants (all making well over double my salary) in a building with only 1200 students. In addition to that, we have 6 secretaries.
We had a dean and THEN four principals on top of that. And then 4 vice principals. And then each person had his/her own office staff. FOR TWO GRADES.

I have no problem with admin making a good salary. But they don't need that much man power. If this was a corporation, they'd be so top heavy they'd never make it. Steamline is the name of the game.

Last edited by stan4; 03-29-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I am looking for a state where teachers salaries are "barely making above $35,000" and I can't find one.

Average Teacher Salary by State

Mississippi for example is $41,510.00 which is really good for Mississippi. Fact is a family can live better on $41,510 in Mississippi than $70,000 in New York.

Texas is $49,900.00 and Oklahoma is $41,053.33

On the other hand New Jersey is $61,830.00 and New York is $66,760.00. Rhode Island is $67,060.00. Even in Wisconsin it's $48,743.33.

On top of this teachers get retirement and medical insurance that many of us can only dream of in the private sector.

Where is this "barely above $35,000" we hear about so often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

Oh, really?

Quote:
Country Net Monthly Income Gross Monthly Job Income

U.S. average salary PPP $ 4,055 $5,266
UK median salary PPP $ 3,075 $ 3,568
Germany average salary PPP $ 3,065 $ 3,309
Australia average income PPP $ 2,793 $ 2,742
Korea average salary PPP $ 2,643 $ 2,096
Norway average income PPP $ 2,573 $ 3,550
Japan average salary PPP $ 2,518 $ 2,961
France median salary PPP $ 2,483 $ 1,950
Canada average income PPP $ 2,238 $ 2,236
Finland average salary PPP $ 1,936 $ 2,311
Portugal average salary PPP $ 1,797 $ 1,441
Austria average salary PPP $ 1,537 $ 1,231
Italy average salary PPP $ 1,441 $ 1,555
Can you please show me where teachers in the industrial world make more because it seems to me American teachers have the rest of the world beat by $1,000/month or more? In fact I fail to see any country where teachers earn more than American teachers.

Last edited by nicet4; 03-29-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh, really?

Can you please show me where teachers in the industrial world make more?
Gladly.

Teacher Pay Around the World - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education