Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But most of the role models they see are activists or rap singers or sports professionals. Not that they are involved in educational role modeling but they do make the headlines and are "out there" where kids know who they are and what they do.

There is Bill Cosby but he got a lot of backlash over his speeches about education. I thought he was spot on though and do respect him for standing his ground.
I don't like to generalize and I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to this rule. However, what concerns me a great deal about the African American community is there doesn't seem to be enough of a commitment to education or book learning. What they don't grasp is that many minority groups have risen in American society by studying harder and longer than others.

On the other hand, thousands of AA children spend endless hours playing basketball and imagining themselves as a pro athlete. You can explain to them that the statistical odds of becoming a pro athlete are much less than those of being killed in a car accident. All you will get is a blank stare.

I've observed some scary behavior over the years. In one household that I was visiting, a teenage AA girl was trying to do her homework. A boyfriend was present and he was badgering her with comments like: "Homework is a thing for white people why are you bothering"?

In another household, I was encouraging an AA teenage boy to look at going to college and consider eventually going into a profession. He told me the only reason he'd go to college was to play basketball.

Its a hard thing to watch large groups of people making consistently bad choices. You wonder where its going to take this nation.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
My children see people like my wife, that even though she grew up in the ghetto, and went to the inner city schools, was able to break free from that, and become all that she could be. they see my business partner, that was able to start his own business and provide a better life for his family then what he had growing up. these are role models that they can see and truly learn from.

Your wife's achievements may be quite admirable. However, I suspect she is not famous and her name is not known to thousands/millions of people. She may be a good role model for your children and people in your community who know her. However, she would not be known to children everywhere. That's the reason why names like Barack Obama, Michael Jordan, or Carl Malone can be used as role models for large numbers of children.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your wife's achievements may be quite admirable. However, I suspect she is not famous and her name is not known to thousands/millions of people. She may be a good role model for your children and people in your community who know her. However, she would not be known to children everywhere. That's the reason why names like Barack Obama, Michael Jordan, or Carl Malone can be used as role models for large numbers of children.
Just because someones name is known, dont mean they are quality role models. Al Capone is a name known by people everywhere, but it don't mean he should be a role model.

My children do have those that they study and learn about, that they use as role models, that are more well known, but it isnt just because of their celebrity status or because of what they achieved. achievement is only part of it, how they got their is also another part.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
You can say and do what you wish, but kids choose their own role models from among those who are around them in the community or who are famous. Parents and teachers don't get to choose for them.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Absolutely. You can't force mentors or role models on anybody. It has to be meaningful to the kid. Not something you THINK SHOULD be meaningful to the kid.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can say and do what you wish, but kids choose their own role models from among those who are around them in the community or who are famous. Parents and teachers don't get to choose for them.
While this is true, the child is going to choose for themselves, those in authority over the child can be influential in who the child chooses.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Well, this may sound naive, and ignorant and whatnot, but I have always wanted to know why most (if not all) inner city schools have the reputation of being terrible.
Why is it that these schools have such a bad reputation, and what is it that makes them that way? Why do some of them perform so poorly? I really do want to know why this is. Are all schools in city propers bad?

They are understaffed. Underpaid.
Go look at a school in a very nice neighborhood, most likely they will have up to date technology.
Go to a school in a poor neighborhood, you will see old equipment
And they will both be public school.
Yes poor neighborhood schools don't have the advantage as those schools in the more luxury neighborhoods.
Everyone knows any money goes to the rich first?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Because for one thing the U.S doesn't value education as much as other nations. When there are budget cuts one of the first thing the gov't does is cut funds for education. Also people who have the power to improve poor inner city schools, wont because they could care less. I blame the gov't, teachers, and parents for the horrid state of inner city public schools.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
While this is true, the child is going to choose for themselves, those in authority over the child can be influential in who the child chooses.
And teachers are seldom as pervasive influences as those at home and in the neighborhood. Occasionally, but it's not the norm. Family (even bad family) is going to have far more pull and influence nine times outta ten. Ditto for peer influences that the kid spends the most time around.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM

218 posts, read 455,001 times
"We don't need no education, says the young man sitting in class."- Wyclef Jean

The words couldn't be more true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education