Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
School needs to be a safe, harassment- and bully-free for everyone, even people who are not like you. Nobody should have to be fearful on campus, it is a noble goal to help protect the vulnerable and end violence.

I agree.

If only the bully was taken to task and had real consequences with actual punitive teeth (like being thrown the heck out - period - so the rest of the kids who aren't rotten can actual learn something constructive) then maybe the schools could concentrate more on teaching children what they need to know (like how to spell 'lose' or basic science in the lower grades).

How much time does these life lessons take out of the regular school day?

A lot.

There have always been bullies in schools and life. Always. There always will be, but chances are, if someone is actually held accountable for their actions, others will see and not want the same consequences.

Human nature doesn't change in that regard - regardless of how much 'diversity training' we have IMHO.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
As someone who was bullied all through grade school and then on into high school, my daily existence was made miserable because of "mean girls". In fact, in my 40s now I STILL have issues relating to the bullying of my high school years (IE I don't trust people in general at ALL and tend to want to stay away from the general public).

Anything that's done to eradicate bullying is ok in my book. As I feel great empathy towards the bullied young people of today, many of whom are taking their own lives because of it.

Truthfully I wish all bullies would go DIAF.

Not very nice. No. But only someone whose school years were Hell would understand.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
[quote=no kudzu;19381631]you think hunting isn't politically correct? Have you heard of the NRA and are you aware of their tremendous influence? I think being anti hunting is the population most likely to be bullied these days.

Ummm. Not in California...

Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you think hunting isn't politically correct? Have you heard of the NRA and are you aware of their tremendous influence? I think being anti hunting is the population most likely to be bullied these days.

And bullying is not identified with gay youth. It has to do with racial minorities, developmental problems, size, type of dress. Anything really which can make a kid the target of insecure mean kids.
Are you a liberal? If so, do you support hunting and gun rights? My kids are constantly called 'killers' by a vegan kid in their class everytime they open their lunchboxes. I call that bullying. Do you?

Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Are you a liberal? If so, do you support hunting and gun rights? My kids are constantly called 'killers' by a vegan kid in their class everytime they open their lunchboxes. I call that bullying. Do you?
It is by today's standards. But I doubt you'll find the public schools bringing in a "Hunting Trainer" to work on changing the beliefs of the vegan kids.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
I like the quote at the end of the article.

Quote:
At the end of the lesson, fourth-grader Desmond Pare thought that was no big deal.
"I think it's about how it doesn't matter who you are," he said. "If you're a girl who likes girl stuff, or a boy who like boy stuff, it just matters if you're human."

It sure sounds like a terrible lesson to me If only adults were as insightful as that kid.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Quote:
That vegan kid certainly needs correction. However, have we been seeing an increased rate of suicide or beating deaths among hunters? Somehow I missed that in the news.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
That vegan kid certainly needs correction. However, have we been seeing an increased rate of suicide or beating deaths among hunters? Somehow I missed that in the news.
Is this an anti-suicide program or an anti-bullying program? I think you'd be surprised how many kids with 'traditional values' do end up killing themselves or others. They may not get the media attention that other groups do, but I have personal experience- they do.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Quote:
Is this an anti-suicide program or an anti-bullying program? I think you'd be surprised how many kids with 'traditional values' do end up killing themselves or others. They may not get the media attention that other groups do, but I have personal experience- they do.
Ultimately, it's both. I am well aware that kids with "traditional values" (whatever that means) commit suicide. Just not nearly at the rate that alternate gender identity kids do. Not even close.

It's nearly impossible to find successful suicide rate data which is broken down by gender identity, since police and coroner's reports do not account for it. Attempted suicide rate is considered to be an accurate means to estimate that:

Quote:
The study of nearly 32,000 11th-grade students in Oregon found that LGB youth were more than five times as likely to have attempted suicide in the previous 12 months, as their heterosexual peers (21.5 percent vs. 4.2 percent). Using a new tool designed to measure social environment, Hatzenbuehler found that LGB youth living in a social environment that was more supportive of gays and lesbians were 25 percent less likely to attempt suicide than LGB youth living in environments that were less supportive.
Study links social environment to high attempted suicide rates among gay youth

Clearly it's a distinct problem for LGBT youth. The difference in statistics is stark enough to warrant extra action.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 25,105 times
I don't think it's appropriate because I don't think children at this age are old enough to understand the concepts being thrown at them. Do we really want our five and six year olds being taught about sexuality, gender, transgenderism, and reproduction? I think not. I think it's way too mature, and I don't think that every parent would agree that their child be allowed to hear the matieral presented, but, for some reason, they don't have a choice. I'm all for teaching tolerance, but I don't support teaching that it's okay to go and have a sex change just because you don't feel comfortable with your body or your image. How about we teach kids to respect themselves, love themselves, and then focus on teaching them not to put others down. Once you love and respect yourself, it is much easier to appreciate others and treat them with the respect they deserve. I don't really feel that this is going to be a solution to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education