Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,282,169 times

Advertisements

Do you think this is appropriate for elementary school? Necessary? Is it what you were expecting the new mandated anti-bullying public school program to be like? Do you think it is intrusive? Potentially confusing and dangerous to young minds? Do you think its worth the $$$ at a time teachers are being laid off? Do you think it will stop any perceived bullying? Do you think the schools should have the right to decide when and how this type of information is presented to our children?

Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

"Parents were advised of the lesson plan weeks ago, but the curriculum was not something their children could opt out of as they can with sex and AIDS education, district officials said."
"All state schools are required to have a specific plan to address safety and other issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity."
lessons in gender diversity[/url]

Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics - FoxNews.com

"The lessons were presented by an outside anti-bullying educational group called Gender Spectrum, paid for with a $1,500 grant from the California Teachers Union."
"Joel Baum, director of education and training for Gender Spectrum, taught the classes. In the kindergarten class he asked the 5- and 6-year-olds to identify if a toy was a "girl toy" or a "boy toy" or both. He also asked which students liked the color pink, prompting many to raise their hands, to which he responded that that boys can like pink, too."

Read more: Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson at California School Riles Critics - FoxNews.com
Calif. School Tells Elementary Students There Are More Than 2 Gender ‘Options’ | The Blaze

"A gender expert and trainer was brought in to speak to the children:"

“[There's] a lot of variation in nature. Evolution comes up with some pretty funny ways for animals to reproduce. It turns out that there are not just two options.”
"The trainer also told the children that this diversity applies to human beings as well. It is this rationale — that gender is pliable and that there are “more than two options” — that has some people frustrated."

I think it is a waste of money and time and it is a potentially dangerous social experiment. I think schools should spend their time teaching academics and not using our children as guinea pigs in this social experiment. I also don't think it will help with any "bullying."

Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times
It's interesting that we feel such a need to do this. I don't think it's awful, but I think that there are other ways to stop bullying.

Of course, what if they have parents like this?

Is This Baby a Boy or Girl? - NYTimes.com

Old 05-26-2011, 03:26 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,574,734 times
The transgender slant seems a little too weird to me, and I can say it probably wouldn't fly here in PA. We've had anti-bullying stuff for a loooong time though and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,282,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The transgender slant seems a little too weird to me, and I can say it probably wouldn't fly here in PA. We've had anti-bullying stuff for a loooong time though and I don't see anything wrong with that.
It will if there is one complaint of perceived transgendered "bullying" reported and the ACLU gets involved.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,214,205 times
The anti-bullying crowd is just upset that their scapegoats may achieve something beyond second-class citizens and be treated with respect. If the next generation of Americans are less likely to harass a tomboy or a guy who likes to participate in a "girl's hobby" or someone who is transgender or gender*****, then I say these programs have done a great thing.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:03 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,327,467 times
That's just ridiculous. I guess that's what you get for living in liberal run California.

Children do NOT need to be learning or discussing topics like homosexuality and transgenderism, it's inappropriate. And how exactly is this going to help them develop into adults? Our country went along just fine in the past without these "programs". This whole "tolerance" and "acceptance" BS didn't become an issue until someone made it an issue.
And is that school distict aware that transgenderism is a mental disorder called "Gender Identity Disorder"? Obviously not.

When I have kids, I'll be sending them to private schools. It's sad that our school system is getting ruined by these ignorant liberals trying to brainwash everyone.

NOTE to maya- you should put a poll on this thread.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:39 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,214,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
That's just ridiculous. I guess that's what you get for living in liberal run California.

Children do NOT need to be learning or discussing topics like homosexuality and transgenderism, it's inappropriate. And how exactly is this going to help them develop into adults? Our country went along just fine in the past without these "programs". This whole "tolerance" and "acceptance" BS didn't become an issue until someone made it an issue.
And is that school distict aware that transgenderism is a mental disorder called "Gender Identity Disorder"? Obviously not.

When I have kids, I'll be sending them to private schools. It's sad that our school system is getting ruined by these ignorant liberals trying to brainwash everyone.

NOTE to maya- you should put a poll on this thread.
Considering the amount of violence directed at people based on sex and gender identity, it is an issue due to the ignorant people who demonize and demean others who are different. People who do not even know the definitions of the terms they use. Something tells me you would not be so quick to hate if your child fell into any minority category or a victim of a hate crime. Do you think that the discrimination and violence against people who are transgender or not conforming to gender norms is ok? Does their gender eliminate their humanity? Given the recent attacks (which is a real problem, btw), a little empathy in our society is the very least we could use.

School needs to be a safe, harassment- and bully-free for everyone, even people who are not like you. Nobody should have to be fearful on campus, it is a noble goal to help protect the vulnerable and end violence.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,082,257 times
Hate it.

We're teaching that it's okay for Johnny to wear a pink dress to school or Sally has two mommy's, while in Asia their kids are reading technical magazines about main framing.

This is why we are falling behind.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
I am all for anti-bullying education and teaching kids to fight against hate of any kind. What I don't understand is why 'bullying' is becoming a synonym for anti-gay. Kids are bullied for a million reasons, not only for being 'gay'...or whatever it means to be gay at age 8.

I also wonder if the anti-bullying gang would stand up for a kid being bullied for being something that wasn't politically correct, like hunting, or living in a polygamous family.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,184,895 times
you think hunting isn't politically correct? Have you heard of the NRA and are you aware of their tremendous influence? I think being anti hunting is the population most likely to be bullied these days.

And bullying is not identified with gay youth. It has to do with racial minorities, developmental problems, size, type of dress. Anything really which can make a kid the target of insecure mean kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.