Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
No, I am not really worried about science. I think they do a nice job teaching science and making it engaging. He has not complained about being bored in math but he does finish very quickly. It is just disappointing to me to watch him working so far below his potential. I know he is not a genius but he is very smart. He is able to do his 3rd grade sister's homework easily. The principal promised me that they would challenge him this past year and it was just one excuse after another from his teacher... the computers were down, my daughter had cheer leading all weekend, my dog had to go to the vet, it was ridiculous! I do not expect a personalized curriculum but (starlajane) I do think a public school should be able to take reasonable steps to ensure that kids are getting what they need. Especially if it's as simple as sending them to another room for math or having them do more challenging work in place of or in addition to the regular school work.

There is a GT program at the school and he made the cut in terms of intelligence but narrowly missed on the creativity measures. The program director told me that the creativity tests are biased toward visual arts and creative writing and they recognize that they need to fix that because it does exclude some otherwise qualified kids (particularly boys). She said to try again next year. My 3rd grade girl is in the program and it isn't anything earth-shattering, but it does provide something a bit out of the ordinary from regular schoolwork.

Soraji -- I just bought him a homeschool Spanish program (Rosetta Stone) last week to work on this summer. My son has a lot of Hispanic friends so he is very excited to try and speak to them in Spanish. I do think learning a language is a great idea since it isn't offered until much later.
I think a lot of parents feel that way when their kids are that age. I wish I had been gifted with what I know now when my kids were little. Please relax! It will come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think a lot of parents feel that way when their kids are that age. I wish I had been gifted with what I know now when my kids were little. Please relax! It will come!
Thanks.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraji View Post
Hey there cinnamon toast!

I was the same as your son in early grades. I was frequently bored because I finished most of my work way ahead of my peers, but had to sit and wait for everyone else to be finished while I twiddled my thumbs. I also scored in 95-99% percentiles for standardized tests, so I know how he feels.

Does your elementary school offer any talented and gifted programs? I remember being in those classes when I was younger which was great because they pulled you out of class a few times a week to have enrichment sessions. They also allowed me to read more advanced books during reading time and to work on advanced work books for math/science during other classes.

If your school doesn't offer this I'd think tutoring at home would be a good option. He'll probably remain bored in school (I always was) until high school when he can take advanced placement courses and finally college where he can be challenged more with others who are like him. I think I would have really loved it if my parents set up time for me to have a tutor at home to learn more advanced things a few times a week.

I think you can challenge him at home too just by giving him more advanced textbooks, maybe set him up to learn another language?

1st grade is way too early to start pushing g/t. All of my boys scored extremely well in early education on the standardized testing. What the tests did pick up with some kids was the need for extra help ie. resource/sped ed. He's in first grade. Let him enjoy these young years before jumping the gun. If at third grade however, he is bored and advanced beyond his class then look at accomodations.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Our schools don't do gifted testing until third grade. I wouldn't worry about challenging material just yet.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,133 times
Quote:
No, I am not really worried about science. I think they do a nice job teaching science and making it engaging. He has not complained about being bored in math but he does finish very quickly. It is just disappointing to me to watch him working so far below his potential. I know he is not a genius but he is very smart. He is able to do his 3rd grade sister's homework easily. The principal promised me that they would challenge him this past year and it was just one excuse after another from his teacher... the computers were down, my daughter had cheer leading all weekend, my dog had to go to the vet, it was ridiculous! I do not expect a personalized curriculum but (starlajane) I do think a public school should be able to take reasonable steps to ensure that kids are getting what they need. Especially if it's as simple as sending them to another room for math or having them do more challenging work in place of or in addition to the regular school work.

There is a GT program at the school and he made the cut in terms of intelligence but narrowly missed on the creativity measures. The program director told me that the creativity tests are biased toward visual arts and creative writing and they recognize that they need to fix that because it does exclude some otherwise qualified kids (particularly boys). She said to try again next year. My 3rd grade girl is in the program and it isn't anything earth-shattering, but it does provide something a bit out of the ordinary from regular schoolwork.

Soraji -- I just bought him a homeschool Spanish program (Rosetta Stone) last week to work on this summer. My son has a lot of Hispanic friends so he is very excited to try and speak to them in Spanish. I do think learning a language is a great idea since it isn't offered until much later.

Again I would caution you about g/t so young. One year in school is not a good indicator of g/t. One of my sons could type a four page letter to Grandma at the age of 5. He also read at a 4th grade level in 1st. Is he a genius? No. Is he the light of my life and an exceptional kid in my eyes? You betcha

Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:

Well, in terms of public schools, my point is that people pay a lot of $$$ so that the problems that your son is experiencing with curriculum are definitely addressed by the teacher; this is sort of the point of paying all of the extra money.

Yes, it should be done as well in public schools as in private, but, realistically, it usually isn't. I definitely agree with you that teachers in public schools should be as attentive as private school teachers, but I just wanted to give you some more realistic expectations re: what to expect from curriculum at a public school (i.e. rather than expecting something to happen that won't, even if it should happen, just accept the circumstances and do what you need to in order to help your son).

I also empathize with you re: your situation. I know public schools; I used to teach in one but no longer do b/c of all of the frustratingly ridiculous and seemingly meaningless beauracracy that occurred. The public school I taught at had so many little oversights that seemed such an easy fix but that never happened b/c teachers and admin were so quick to point out possible problems with a change. I always got the feeling that "change" made everyone very uncomfortable; they really seemed to like routine and sticking to it, which was not my experience with private, where I also taught, and at which there was much more flexibility re: curriculum changes, giving students extra help, more individulaized instruction, etc. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that public schools are public institutions that are subject to many more rules/laws than private schools.

That said, I would be realistic and just supplement at home. Rosetta Stone sounds like it would be great for your son. A lot of people who are strong in Math relate well to languages, which can are pretty formulaic and easy for Math nuts to figure out. If he is a strong reader, that helps as well.

My other piece of advice is to not fall into the trap of only supplementing your son in what he is already naturally good at: if he has problems with creativity, I would look for activities that might help him in that area, even much more so than in the areas in which he already excels. It would be great if he got into the TG program next year

Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
First, remember that the way you ask for something often determines how people respond to you. So telling the principal that "you expect better" next year doesn't exactly get things off to a rosy start. You don't want to get ugly unless and until you have to. Otherwise when a real issue comes up, you won't be taken seriously because they will have decided you are impossible to please anyway. So sometimes dipping requests in a little honey gets them fulfilled faster, just food for thought...

Remember that you're dealing with a public school in a time of budget cuts. Some of the things you're pushing for are not something they're required to provide, all the more reason to ask nicely and be reasonable. Sounds like there is a decent solution in place for reading. For math, if they can't move him to the older room, then you may just need to ask to borrow a textbook and supplement at home with your son yourself. That's not uncommon for quick students. Also I would focus on things that aren't taught in school, other areas. Foreign language is a great idea. You can also get him started with an instrument like piano or violin. Sports would be great as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
I just got Iowa test results back for my first grade son. He scored in the 96th-99th percentile for everything he was tested on. He is in public school in a decent, although not outstanding, school district. I am not very concerned about his reading, the school has a very independent, student-directed program that allows him to read at his level. But what about math? Science? I requested enrichment materials (particularly for math) for him this year and the teacher put in a pathetic effort in meeting this request. I have already told the principal I expect better next year. Even with enrichment activities, I worry that he is bored with grade-level instruction (the classrooms are traditional and not leveled until 6th grade). I would be willing to have him tutored or provide home school opportunities, but I am concerned about this producing MORE boredom if he gets further ahead. Maybe I just need to be happy that I have a smart kid and let him coast through his elementary years and focus more on extracurriculars. Any thoughts? Advice?
Is he bored? Has he indicated that he feels bored? I would suggest you talk to him instead of speculating on whether or not he's bored. What you do depends on whether or not he is bored.

I would not push him ahead, precisely, because you may create more boredom, if he is bored, or boredom if he isn't. Double promotion might be a solution if he can handle the move from a social standpoint (is he identifying with older kids?) but is not an option if he is not socially mature for his age. Even when they are emotionally/socially mature for their age, double promotion can come back to bite you. My dd was double promoted 3rd to 5th grades. Now she's in 8th/9th and wishes she was back in 7th grade with her younger friends. As her current class is going through puberty, she's feeling like she doesn't fit in.

Good luck. These are tough decisions.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Is he bored? Has he indicated that he feels bored? I would suggest you talk to him instead of speculating on whether or not he's bored. What you do depends on whether or not he is bored.

I would not push him ahead, precisely, because you may create more boredom, if he is bored, or boredom if he isn't. Double promotion might be a solution if he can handle the move from a social standpoint (is he identifying with older kids?) but is not an option if he is not socially mature for his age. Even when they are emotionally/socially mature for their age, double promotion can come back to bite you. My dd was double promoted 3rd to 5th grades. Now she's in 8th/9th and wishes she was back in 7th grade with her younger friends. As her current class is going through puberty, she's feeling like she doesn't fit in.

Good luck. These are tough decisions.

This is the problem with my niece. She's academically very ahead. This has been said by many people with extensive experience working with children not related to the family in any way. However, she's immature for her age due to some personal issues she's had. My family won't ask for her to be moved up due to that so she just gets to sit bored in the classroom.

OP, in my experiences, public schools have been willing to do just about nothing at all in situations such as this. They don't have to, so they won't. My mom's solution for my niece is to somehow find over $400 a month to pay for a private school for my niece starting next year.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
There is a GT program at the school and he made the cut in terms of intelligence but narrowly missed on the creativity measures. The program director told me that the creativity tests are biased toward visual arts and creative writing and they recognize that they need to fix that because it does exclude some otherwise qualified kids (particularly boys). She said to try again next year.
Hopefully they'll fix it, but if not - then they'll sufficiently dumb your son up, that he would fit in with the rest of the class as far as math goes, and so that the teacher wouldn't have additional headache dealing with your son. Problem solved - at least that was my experience with public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education