Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM

45 posts, read 115,189 times

Advertisements

I am a parent and a teacher. I feel like if all the parents could get together and do something then we could make a difference in all the cuts.

But here in Idaho at least it seems like the parents feel powerless and dont know what to do.

What could they do...and if they did there would be a lot of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What do you teach?

Parents could vote to have their taxes raised for more money for schools. How do you think that would fly?
Parents could send their kids to private schools.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Be a visible presence in your schools and schools system.

1. visit your childrens schools. Be a volunteer tutor or if parents are uncomfortable working with the
students, put up bulletin boards, volunteer in the library, answer the phone, eat lunch with your
child or be a cafeteria monitor (give teachers a duty free lunch occasionally), be a monitor in PE.
2. attend school board meetings. It is extremely important that your superintendent and board
members know you are watching and listening.
3. stay in touch with your school board members. Call them, send e-mails, write letters, ask
questions, state your opinions. Be a voice and a warm body.
4. attend as many school events as you possible can, even if your child is not a participant.
There are many students whose parents are not able to attend because of work or other
obligations or because they just don't care. Find out who these kids are and be their
cheering section.
5. talk to your child's teachers and administrators when you see them in public. Talk about the
weather the big game on tv over the weekend, anything. We are people as well as
teachers, sometimes school takes on a huge portion of our lives. We love it when parents
just want to have a normal conversation with us.
6. Volunteer is a school that is not your childs school. Not only will you hlp out the school, but it
will give you perspective on what goes on in other schools and how your childs school is the
same or different. It may also provide you with ideas for your school.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
The only way that the majority of parents will get involved is if the sports program is cut.

Sadly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM

613 posts, read 991,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
I am a parent and a teacher. I feel like if all the parents could get together and do something then we could make a difference in all the cuts.

But here in Idaho at least it seems like the parents feel powerless and dont know what to do.

What could they do...and if they did there would be a lot of them
In a previous thread you blame parents, and parents only, for making it impossible for teachers to educate our children, but now you want those same parents to rise up and join teachers? You can't have it both ways.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
parents should join the teachers in an effort to bleed those parents dry? teachers dont care about parents until its time to raise taxes so they dont have to contribute to their pension or health care benefits.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
You seem to have forgotten that Idaho is largely a rural state, with funding coming from areas dominated by farming. Which, if you haven't already realized, is not a great way to make money due to sales tax, self-employment tax, property tax, income tax, plus whatever you have to pay and withhold for any people you might be lucky enough to employ. These are on top of whatever regular expenses you have to keep a farm running (seed, fertilizer, water, machinery, etc.) AND You pay all that regardless of whether you're lucky enough to get a crop out of the ground without Mother Nature and world markets taking their piece of the pie. This is why funding measures get voted down in Idaho. Who is going to pay for it? THERE IS NO MONEY.

I understand you're frustrated, but blaming parents and the state is not going to fix anything. The whole funding paradigm has to be re-evaluated.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Get parent volunteers to help pick up the slack where your funding was cut.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do you teach?

Parents could vote to have their taxes raised for more money for schools. How do you think that would fly?
Not until they learn to use the money they already have.
And no, I'm not some crackpot Tea Party type. I just live in a district that has a superintendent who makes more than Joe Biden, has a $900 a month car allowance, travels constantly on the taxpayer's dime, and gives high-paying jobs away to her cronies. That doesn't even count the ten assistant supers, the curricula that's tried for a year and discarded, and the buses that run with five kids on them.

And I actually do volunteer at one of the local schools, and have for years, even when we were fulltime homeschoolers.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM

45 posts, read 115,189 times
WSOP...
Ummm...if you read my post I do not entirely blame the parents. However it IS the responsibility of the parent to be a dare I say it PARENT or advocate for the child.

If not the PARENT then who. I worked in South Central Los Angeles in the schools and let me tell you. The teachers CARE!!! We would spend hours and money just to hep the students...but the parents of some students really didnt seem to care at all.

Please do not accuse me of blaming the parents...cause I am one!
You obviously feel that magic might overcome not caring!
Maybe you need to step into a classroom of today...one that is in the real world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education