Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

OT, but I read somewhere that universities in China expect the student to have read the complete text by the first day of class, probably have worked through most of the problems, too.

Unlike in this country, the first week is spent schedule shifting, drops and adds, and chit chat....lets go around the room and introduce ourselves, lets get to know each other..........at that point in China, they would be on at least the 3rd project or whatever.

We spend so much time fooling around in our educational system, then wonder why all the good jobs go to " foreigners" Instead we crank out graduates hooked on ADD meds, meds to control the side effects of ADD meds, who think "party" is a verb, and who's main skill is how drunk they can get. Why waste a book on them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Funny enough I was talking to someone about this the other day... with the boom of tablets I'm wondering how long before that replaces textbooks outright. Saves on paper, not to forget you don't have to worry about a particular textbook going 'out of stock'.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
You want the "state" to write textbooks?
Hate to tell you but the state already indirectly writes the textbook by telling publishers to include this or that. Often times the state is such a large purchases that the publishers just custom trailer the textbook for the schools. One example of this is biology textbooks where some include evolutionary biology and others that do not include it. As long as you have state funded schools you will have special interest groups using the schools to push their agenda.

Here is an article about how california is putting, "gay history" in textbooks:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/...2811309917355/

Quote:
My mother is a university professor (School of Nursing) who teaches some classes on-line using Blackboard. She's spending the summer revising a course to reflect the new edition of the textbook. It's a lot of work.
Yea, like the textbook companies do alot of revisions to the books. They just add an extra chapter and release a new edition to scam students into having to buy the new edition.

Quote:
Funny enough I was talking to someone about this the other day... with the boom of tablets I'm wondering how long before that replaces textbooks outright. Saves on paper, not to forget you don't have to worry about a particular textbook going 'out of stock'.
Yes all are major benefits. Another major benefit would be when there are open-source textbooks. Here is an example of one company that gives their textbooks away for FREE if its in a digital format. They make money by selling the paper version for those who prefer to have the paper version. Also the paper versions are only 40-60$, instead of 150$.

http://www.flatworldknowledge.com/

Also here is another company that provides interactive digital textbooks. You can watch videos, xoom in and out of pictures, and do a bunch of other stuff. All of this is only possible when you introduce tablets into the classroom.

http://www.inkling.com/

The really interesting thing to think about is that tablets are rather cheap for a new product line. The average price is around 500$. In 3-4 years I am sure tablets that cost 200-300$ will be common.

Quote:
OT, but I read somewhere that universities in China expect the student to have read the complete text by the first day of class, probably have worked through most of the problems, too.

Unlike in this country, the first week is spent schedule shifting, drops and adds, and chit chat....lets go around the room and introduce ourselves, lets get to know each other..........at that point in China, they would be on at least the 3rd project or whatever.

We spend so much time fooling around in our educational system, then wonder why all the good jobs go to " foreigners" Instead we crank out graduates hooked on ADD meds, meds to control the side effects of ADD meds, who think "party" is a verb, and who's main skill is how drunk they can get. Why waste a book on them
Perhaps then we should make school voluntary. If you don't want to go to school after the 8th grade then don't. Everyone doesn't need a high school education.

Last edited by killer2021; 07-09-2011 at 02:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
We use tablets and laptops with quite a few of our students, ones whose IEPs call for assistive technology due to disability, and with many where it's not required but does help. While surfing for non-school related stuff hasn't really been an issue, tablets and laptops not working properly, sustaining damage, etc. is more of a hassle.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
I didn't see any postive in this at all.The only thing I could think is goodby more jobs .As is the world isn't gonna lose enough jobs to the " digital age " .

Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 PM

185 posts, read 159,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
I didn't see any postive in this at all.The only thing I could think is goodby more jobs .As is the world isn't gonna lose enough jobs to the " digital age " .
This is common with technology. It increases efficiency and, in some cases, waste.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

There is a HUGE difference in how students approach education here and abroad. If our students were like their students, we would have their results. As long as our students are like our students, we will get our results.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There is a HUGE difference in how students approach education here and abroad. If our students were like their students, we would have their results. As long as our students are like our students, we will get our results.

Yes, and won't it be interesting to see how the current trend to send Chinese students to American schools plays out?

Wealthy Chinese parents are sending their high school children over here, and the fund-hungry high schools are just as happy to recruit them, not only for the money they bring, but for the rise in test scores that they anticipate will eventually occur.

From what I've read lately (there are schools in my state actively recruiting Chinese students) Chinese parents are hoping to expose their kids to some of the "innovative" thought processes that they believe that US education can bring.

Huh, that's funny to me considering how much I hear about our students being so unmotivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education