Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 AM

417 posts, read 347,324 times

Advertisements

I found out after talking to my friend who is our local middle school social studies teacher, she told me the fifth graders coming up don't know that there are seven continents let alone the names of those continents.

She told me the curriculum maker is making kids do these writing journals which somehow fulfill the standards for science and social studies. But if you are a kid who is not good at reading and writing you are out of luck.
How can a public school stop teaching science and social studies? How is this possible? Is this what our country has come to?

Last edited by ffaemily; 02-14-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,787,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I found out after talking to my friend who is our local middle school social studies teacher, she told me the fifth graders coming up don't know that their are seven continents let alone the names of those continents.

She told me the curriculum maker is making kids do these writing journals which somehow fulfill the standards for science and social studies. But if you are a kid who is not good at reading and writing you are out of luck.
How can a public school stop teaching science and social studies? How is this possible? Is this what our country has come to?
Do they know the difference between their and there are?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:16 AM

51,080 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Quote:
I found out after talking to my friend who is our local middle school social studies teacher, she told me the fifth graders coming up don't know that there are seven continents let alone the names of those continents.

I'll bet this post is full of incorrect information.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:23 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,417,088 times
Quote:

There aren't seven continents, There are only six.

Look at a map and put your brain in gear and come up with a reason for Europe to be regarded as a separate continent from Asia?

Isn't India separated from the rest of Asia by the Himalayas? Why isn't it a continent?

Stop trusting schools. Look at all of the great material that people running the schools do not have the brains to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA&t=212s

That is better than any computer course I ever had and I worked for IBM. It just does not mention the term von Neumann architecture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture

psik

Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,471,818 times
Maybe if the teachers weren't forced to teach to the bottom of the class, they could start teaching little things like grammar, science, and social studies again. As it is now, it's tragic, but unfortunately not the highest priority.

I'm not in a geography class looking for a grade, I've pissed off "educated" coworkers in the past by suggesting that there are 6 continents. The last guy thought about it for a few minutes and then changed his mind and agreed with me.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 AM

2,793 posts, read 1,653,701 times
Holy cow, and I thought the USA was heavily promoting STEM subjects.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

8,147 posts, read 7,527,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

Look at a map and put your brain in gear and come up with a reason for Europe to be regarded as a separate continent from Asia?

1 North America
2 South America
3 Europe
4 Asia
5 Africa
6 Australia
7 Antarctica

Middle schoolers can't be reasonably be expected to debate whether there are 6 or 7 continents when the book says there are 7. Maybe in a high school AP class or college.

Likewise, debating whether Pluto is a planet or not is fun, but on the test, answer what the book says.

Quote:
Isn't India separated from the rest of Asia by the Himalayas? Why isn't it a continent?
India has long been referred to as "The Subcontinent". For extra credit, explain why.

Quote:
Stop trusting schools. Look at all of the great material that people running the schools do not have the brains to use.

psik
I don't think it's good advice for the general population of middle schoolers to distrust what they're being taught. Again, leave that for high school and later.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:28 PM

45,600 posts, read 60,922,955 times
Nationally a lot of school systems are dropping everything in Elementary except Math and English. I'd leave you all to guess why but I'll tell you.

Science and Social Studies aren't tested subjects under R3T or NCLB before it. I have a couple friends in another state who work for that state's Department of Education and it's driving them nuts.

I might add that a fair number of you demanded this in one way or another and now you got it. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 PM

4,295 posts, read 5,963,662 times
The listing of Europe and Asia as being two separate continents ahs always baffled me. I suppose there is a reason but it should be explained.

Back to the OP. My wife works in an elementary School and is horrified by the lack of a common curriculum between Teachers who are instructing the same grade level of students in the same building. Teachers who are not good at Science, or do not have an attachment to it, simply do not teach it. Same for Social Studies, Math, Spelling, etc.

Even worse is that some of the Teachers instruct using incorrect facts! They do not know how to convert fractions to decimals correctly, how to properly write decimals, how to properly punctuate sentences, how to use appropriate capitalization, etc.

The students leave these classrooms in worse shape than they arrived, as now they must unlearn incorrect information before they can learn the correct information.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,598,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA&t=212s

That is better than any computer course I ever had and I worked for IBM. It just does not mention the term von Neumann architecture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture

psik
another tangent. i think geologically speaking madagascar would be a continent since, iiuc, it is not connected to the african continental shelf the way cape verde is ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
I'm not in a geography class looking for a grade, I've pissed off "educated" coworkers in the past by suggesting that there are 6 continents. The last guy thought about it for a few minutes and then changed his mind and agreed with me.
panama canal is not a natural body of water so america should be 1 continent ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMZC4y4zXU

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 02-14-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education