Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefulangel View Post
wait wait ...let me make sure i got this right..so if a teacher sees a child doing something..even OUTSIDE of school property and not DURING school hours they have to report them?

My roommate and i had a discussion on this that if i went to a club and a 16 year old student snuck in, would i report them. I told him look if they snuck in, its not my job to stop what i am doing just to go play tattle tale on a student...so i told him i would do nothing. The only things i know that teachers have to report is child molestation and/or domestic violence.

Yep.

In your scenario you could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor by knowingly permitting the club to serve him/her alcohol.

Teachers have a different position in law when it comes to minors that are their students.

In MD we have to report suspicion of neglect if the kid comes to school in clothes that are dirty. I had a student a number of years ago that wore the same jeans every day. Turns out that she just liked them and had plenty of clean clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefulangel View Post
wait wait ...let me make sure i got this right..so if a teacher sees a child doing something..even OUTSIDE of school property and not DURING school hours they have to report them?

My roommate and i had a discussion on this that if i went to a club and a 16 year old student snuck in, would i report them. I told him look if they snuck in, its not my job to stop what i am doing just to go play tattle tale on a student...so i told him i would do nothing. The only things i know that teachers have to report is child molestation and/or domestic violence.
Just because you don't have to do something legally, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I don't think it should be a legal requirement; but I would hope a teacher would do it because he/she cares and wants to do the "right thing."

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
This is where I'm kind of torn; if the bullying is happening on school computers OR if a member of faculty knows about the bullying then I think it is the school's problem, but if not then it isn't. I think law enforcement should get involved in cyberbullying because it's harassment which would be punishable by law should an adult be doing it to another adult. Also, in the case of fake accounts being made of victims, that's identity theft and is...ILLEGAL! I don't care what the intention was.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
schools should have a person talking in front of a classroom and kids taking tests. thats it.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 46,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep.

In your scenario you could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor by knowingly permitting the club to serve him/her alcohol.

Teachers have a different position in law when it comes to minors that are their students.

In MD we have to report suspicion of neglect if the kid comes to school in clothes that are dirty. I had a student a number of years ago that wore the same jeans every day. Turns out that she just liked them and had plenty of clean clothes.
But how can a teacher be in trouble for that when 1) they dont own the club and 2) they didnt give them alcohol. I say this because there is a club that does allow a few minors to slip in every once in a while and my friend(who is a teacher) saw them but he just kept his distance, drank and went about his business.

I just dont see how someone can get into trouble for going out and enjoying themselves. We are not policemen and my friend told me that he has enough problems and didnt want to start any kind of mess..i kinda agreed...As for the neglect/child abuse..yes that is a law here(im in tx) so i know for a fact that if a teacher does not report that then they can get into trouble.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 AM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times
It's going to vary from state to state of course and the chance of getting caught are remote but there are prosecutors out there that would go after something like that if the opportunity arose. Not informing the bar would be the hook.

The other half is protecting the bar. If Texas is like MD the way a bar loses its license is to serve minors.

Your friend was correct in staying away, by the way.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas69 View Post
Ok so i just watched the Dr. Phil show and he is wanting educators and administrators to step up and take a stand on cyberbullying. My stance on this is that teachers already have enough on their plate as it is. If little johnny is getting cyber bullied on a saturday night, is it really the schools problem? What i think is funny is that parents complain to the school and expect the school to do something about it when they can just go the source(the other kids parents) and the problem would be solved! So is it fair to involve the schools?

On a hunch i asked my roommate who has kids, he said that teachers should report any kind of cyberbullying and other things that students do even outside of school. I totally disagreed with this. I feel that teachers are teachers until they leave the campus. That person has their own life to go home to outside of work. Oh well, just wanted an opinion. What do you guys think?
Floridian schools are required by law to intervene. Aside from that, if I knew a kid who was the victim of cyberbullying and did nothing about it because "I have my own life to go to after work", I'd feel pretty low.
And if you think going to the other kids' parents solves a severe bullying problem, you clearly haven't dealt with bullying recently. For the most part, there's a reason kids bully, and it's not because of stellar parenting.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM

55 posts, read 100,290 times
ok im not saying do not intervene if it happens but i think it certainly depends on WHERE it happens..for example, if it happens online and by chance u see it at home are you going to get involved with in the middle of some teenage drama? And when that teenager starts cussing u out and telling you off saying they dont have to listen to u(cuz they arent at school) then what are you going to do?

Lets take it a step further, you are in the mall walking by and some kids from your school are taunting another one and trying to fight them..would u get involved? I dont know how the kids are where you are aconite, but here they WILL fight you, and when they hit you ...what are you going to do? It just seems to me that getting involved in "teen drama" outside and AWAY from school is just asking for problems. Just last year a school principal was jumped and this man was HUGE im talking like 6'5" and 300 lbs, if they arent scared of a guy like that, what makes you think that they will listen to what you have to say?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
If it takes place AT THE SCHOOL, yes. If it isn't at the school, then no.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
During school hours on school equipment, yes. Outside of school hours, no. If it happens at school or on the school website (which should be monitored by the school) then the school should get involved. If it happens after school on a home computer, the parents should deal with it. I do think that if a teacher happens to find out about cyber bullying, a phone call home is warranted but I don't think it's a school issue unless it is happening on school time.

One issue with cyber bullying is that it can happen using smart phones provided by the parents on school time. Schools cannot monitor student's phones. Parents can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education