Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

We don't have percentage based grades until 6th grade. Below that we wouldn't really have daily grades to post on a program such as this. I'd have to think a little more about how it would work, but it might be tough for a parent to get an daily/weekly idea on progress.

Our report cards are moving even more towards a standards based assessment where the students will recieve a 3, 2, or 1 to reflect whether the student exceeds, meets, or does not meet each standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
We've had it for many years now and it can be a great tool, but it definitely can be overused as well. We have choices for notifications by email as well, such as getting a notice for any failing grade or just a notice for progress reports half way through the grading period.

Ours also has many other things beside grades. All our contact information is there and we can update it online if there is a change, instead of having to contact the office or fill out a paper form and turn it in.
It also has immunizations so it can be checked to see if our child is in compliance. Any time a child makes a visit to the nurses office is logged in. Any health check they do is listed with results-dental, vision or hearing screening. If my child has had an injury, that info is there.

Plus teachers can put up a message for parents as another avenue of communicating in addition to email or notes home.

It's quite full of information actually.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
We have it here. It does depend on the teacher getting the grades up on the system, but we have been pretty pleased at being able to check online before progress reports come out. It helps because we can address the grades quickly. I love it!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
We've had it for a while, we use Infinite Campus.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Had one form or another for several years. Even though the parents are sent the login information at the beginning of the year and they claim they check it, they're always surprised when their kid has a bad grade(s). Especially when they print a copy of the grades, which keeps a running overall percent grade they only "see" the good grades and totally overlook the zeroes or other failing grades. Had one parent last year that was dumbfounded that the three 100's her son got on classwork didn't make up for the 17 or so zeroes on homework and the 20's on tests.

It can be a real pain with some parents, and students, I've come home to emails wanting to know why the grade for the test last period isn't posted yet.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north beach person View Post
had one form or another for several years. Even though the parents are sent the login information at the beginning of the year and they claim they check it, they're always surprised when their kid has a bad grade(s). Especially when they print a copy of the grades, which keeps a running overall percent grade they only "see" the good grades and totally overlook the zeroes or other failing grades. had one parent last year that was dumbfounded that the three 100's her son got on classwork didn't make up for the 17 or so zeroes on homework and the 20's on tests.

it can be a real pain with some parents, and students, i've come home to emails wanting to know why the grade for the test last period isn't posted yet.

ditto!!!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
I love technology but hate this program. In my experience it enables hover parents and let's those who are not engaged remain that way. It has had no positive effect on learning in anyway (since neither grades nor standardized test scores have gone up) and it just makes more work for the teacher and more stressed out students.

I had one of my best students get a 90 on a test the week before prom. She was not allowed to go despite the fact she and I both knew this was only a bump in the road for her.

Normally her parents would just see her A every marking period but now they see and may not understand the whole process. I have yet to see any benefit for the students at all.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I love technology but hate this program. In my experience it enables hover parents and let's those who are not engaged remain that way. It has had no positive effect on learning in anyway (since neither grades nor standardized test scores have gone up) and it just makes more work for the teacher and more stressed out students.

I had one of my best students get a 90 on a test the week before prom. She was not allowed to go despite the fact she and I both knew this was only a bump in the road for her.

Normally her parents would just see her A every marking period but now they see and may not understand the whole process. I have yet to see any benefit for the students at all.
It depends on the student. When you have one who, habitually, doesn't turn in work, parents knowing right away can make a difference. I have one of those.... If we wait for the mid quarter or quarter grades, it can be too late.

I do think many parents need a chill pill. Many of my parents think there are two grades. A's and failing....when, in my class, a B is actually a pretty good grade.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
We had Infinite Campus starting in 2006. It was wonderful. Parents and students could check, send an immediate e-mail if they had a question, and it eliminated the endless phone calls to leave messages on machines that you knew were erased by the student when they got home.

We were required to post something every cycle (6 days), even if it was a participation grade or a progress grade, pop quiz or a homework check. It provided attendance records (how many times the student was late or missed the class) and it also allowed parents to see upcoming assignment and test dates (I was one of those who used to put them in a few days ahead of time, when I did my lesson plans for the week). At progress report time, I would "flip the switch" and did not have to go through and individually print off reports for students who were below a C average and/or in danger of failing for the marking period.

It was wonderful, and I found the parents to be very proactive with the information. It was win/win for our district.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Thanks for all of the responses. I especially think the "attendance" thing in real time would probably be especially helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education