Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 35,395 times

Advertisements

I'm 18 and want to move to a different state for my senior year. I've been saving up money for the past 2 years so financially it won't be a problem. Can I do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Yes, at 18, even kids living with their parents have to sign forms, etc. for school. The real question is do you really have enough saved to support yourself for that time??

Old 08-20-2011, 04:04 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,904 times
I'd double and triple check the rules in the areas you wish to attend.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, at 18, even kids living with their parents have to sign forms, etc. for school. The real question is do you really have enough saved to support yourself for that time??
Not in all places. At all four of my high schools, once you reached 18 you had no extra freedom in regards to school. You signed nothing, your parent or guardian had to sign permission slips for everything, your parent or guardian had to excuse every absence.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not in all places. At all four of my high schools, once you reached 18 you had no extra freedom in regards to school. You signed nothing, your parent or guardian had to sign permission slips for everything, your parent or guardian had to excuse every absence.
If you are living on your own and are 18 or over, the high school has no say in this.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If you are living on your own and are 18 or over, the high school has no say in this.
Our district does not allow independent students to enroll. They must live with a parent or guardian.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,771 times
In Florida you need a legal document saying that you are "emancipated" from your parents/guardians and then there is no problem. I have had a few of them in my long career teaching. GOOD LUCK to you!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 31,550 times
At the age of 18 can you enroll yourself in a high school in polk county florida?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlynDelgado96 View Post
At the age of 18 can you enroll yourself in a high school in polk county florida?
Call the district office in order to make sure you get the correct answer. Someone there will be able to help you and you don't have to give your name. Just Google "Polk County Flordia public schools" and that should lead you to a contact number at central office and they'll send you to the right person from there.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:18 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
In Florida you need a legal document saying that you are "emancipated" from your parents/guardians and then there is no problem. I have had a few of them in my long career teaching. GOOD LUCK to you!!!
I think that this is generally true everyplace. If you are legally an emancipated minor, meaning you receive no support from your parents whatsoever, then you are just an 18-year-old who wants to go to school where you live, and you can proceed to do so.

But becoming emancipated is not an easy or simple process, from what I undertand. It usually involves parents who are incredibly abusive, or both in jail long-term, the ability of the minor to be self-supporting, and the lack of any other family member to assume legal guardianship (though at 18 these last two may vary in differnt states.)

I'm not a lawyer, but without that formality of emancipation, I'd think that high school in another state at a public school would prove difficult because the presumption would be that you live with your parents in their hometown and should be in school there, or pay tution in the new out-of-state school district, if they allow it.

But what are your reasons for wanting to do one year of high school somewhere else? If you're chaisng a boy/girl friend who has moved away, don't do it. Just don't. But if you're fleeing seriously abusive parents or have a more pressing need to get away, that's something else altogether and may be you can find help for it where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education