Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times

Advertisements

I simply do not understand this reasoning with some parents that choose this path. My son started public high school this year and has been a student within the public school since kindergarten. I did consider private at one point but knew I probably would not be able to afford sending him through completely so I didn't start it. A lot of my husband's co workers have children the same age as our son and their children are starting high school this year as well but this will be their first time attending a public school. What shocked me is many of them sent their children to private catholic schools and now have the attitude that public school is okay for high school. I think this is extremely hard on kids to do this. High school is a stressor already but to start off not knowing one single kid and coming from a somewhat smaller and coddled environment has to be hard. If anything I would think wanting a more coddled environment would be better in the high school years and not elementary! I know private schools are not perfect and have their issues for sure but I just don't understand this reasoning. I think what got me worked up about it (normally I don't concern myself with other people business) is that one co worker lives out in the country and now his son will be attending a high school in the city. The roughest part of town and this particular high school has a pretty bad rap for being rough. This co worker has 3 younger children that are in private and he will be paying for them to finish. Why not put the younger in public schools and pay for private later on so his children do not go to one of the worst high schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
In the specific example you are giving, you are right, it doesn't make sense. In my area however, it's extremely common and the move to the public HS is smooth. Our local catholic school only goes up to 8th grade so the parents have to put their kids into either the local public HS, a very large Catholic High School that is at least a 30 minute bus ride away (and does not have as good a reputation as our local HS) or one of the private HS's that are quite expensive, and also not close.

Many parents around here will have their kids attend a private or even home-school for middle school only and use public for elementary and High school. With so many new students coming in as freshman, it's really not all that unusual and the kids adapt quickly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,866 times
We live in a small town and our private schools don't go beyond 8th grade at this point (church and non-church affiliated) They are starting a high school one at the local college campus but it is very small and limited.

If the schools aren't big then kids can't participate in the band, sports etc...so for most small towns I could see where you would have to switch to public HS. At least in larger towns with a bigger group of private schools that offer the extracurriculars it would be better to go public then private in HS.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In the specific example you are giving, you are right, it doesn't make sense. In my area however, it's extremely common and the move to the public HS is smooth. Our local catholic school only goes up to 8th grade so the parents have to put their kids into either the local public HS, a very large Catholic High School that is at least a 30 minute bus ride away (and does not have as good a reputation as our local HS) or one of the private HS's that are quite expensive, and also not close.

Many parents around here will have their kids attend a private or even home-school for middle school only and use public for elementary and High school. With so many new students coming in as freshman, it's really not all that unusual and the kids adapt quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
We live in a small town and our private schools don't go beyond 8th grade at this point (church and non-church affiliated) They are starting a high school one at the local college campus but it is very small and limited.

If the schools aren't big then kids can't participate in the band, sports etc...so for most small towns I could see where you would have to switch to public HS. At least in larger towns with a bigger group of private schools that offer the extracurriculars it would be better to go public then private in HS.
Thanks for your thoughts. I can see why in what you have described. I guess I am just in major mom mode today. I can't help but think about this kid. He is small for his age, white and totally coddled. Now he will be attending a mostly all black high school in the roughest part of town. It pisses me off the parents are concerned about forking over the funds to get the younger ones through private school when they are serving their eldest to the wolves. The younger kids are girls, would not surprise me one bit if somehow they managed to send the girls to a private high school.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
There are loads of legitimate reasons for people to do this:
- financial
- the public high school may have a particular curricular program of interest that the private high school doesn't
- the public high school may have better sports or extra-curricular programs of interest
- the public high school may have a better reputation of getting kids into particular colleges
- the private high school may not be particularly good
- the student may be seeking a more diverse experience as s/he matures
- the culture in the private school may not fit the family's priorities
- the public school is closer/more convenient

I don't see any of these as stupid reasons. Nor do I see the need to criticize anyone's decisions about their kids' schooling.

Anecdotally, a lot of people seem to feel that in general, public school district high schools are better run than the middle schools. So people may also be deciding to hold off switching to public until after middle school.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Geez! Kids in military families routinely go to half-a-dozen or more schools, but nobody raises a stink about that. Why exactly is this any of your business?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Geez! Kids in military families routinely go to half-a-dozen or more schools, but nobody raises a stink about that. Why exactly is this any of your business?
I see your point but these children pretty much know they will be moving. The parents that I have talked to all seem to the the same idea. Its safer, more structured in private but then those ideals seem to go out the window when high school comes around.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Fine, but this is a coworker's kid, not your nephew or Godson, and way outside your circle of concern and influence. Let the parents worry about what is happening with their kids.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-24-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Fine, but this is a coworker's kid, not your nephew or Godson, and way outside your circle of concern and influence. Let the parents worry about what is happening with their kids.
Bulletin boards are commonly used for venting because IRL one can't say to parents, "That's really stupid". It's okay to do so here and to look for validation for one's viewpoint. A terms of service reminder that helps sometimes:

//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
*shrug* still have an opinion on it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education