Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 AM

616 posts, read 854,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I went to school in the '70s, and I don't recall perfect attendance being a big deal. By the way, what does this have to do with the original question?
the topic is about the educational system setting kids up to fail right?

well then, if you ignore their acheivements not matter how much of a little deal you think it is, it may be a big deal to them and crush their sense of wanting to even attend school at all. hence high drop.

the kids are not appreciated anymore. they are just droned out. this is why schools are allowing nurses to come in and force feed ritalin pills to calm down and lax out the minds of good kids. It's not hard to tell. they start young to mess up the system. kindergarten.

my kid was hurt by not getting an award so I made her one on photoshop that was 10x better than the rotten school system couldve' done anyway so it's whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Perfect attendance on its own does not mean ANYTHING more or less than you got out of bed in the morning and got on the bus. Many elementary and middle schools give much more meaningful awards not linked to grades, which I support fully since there is more to learning than grades.

But perfect attendance does not directly translate to anything! It means far more if a student has never missed a homework (something I still recognize in my own high school classroom) or if they have never been sent to the office or had detention than if they were lucky enough to not get sick.

Children should be rewarded for the behaviors the can control that actually mean they are engaged in learning not just for not getting sick (something beyond their control anyway).

And BTW I was not born in the 1980s and the drop out rate at our school is 0%.
It may not mean anything to YOU, but YOU don't know what it can do for a little kids confidence about being at school. It's obvious you've never had perfect attendance so you wouldn't understand. to a little kid that could mean a lot. when I was a kid, I never got perfect attendance but I did TRY to get it. kids that got it felt great aobut themselves just like the ones who made honor roll. I eventually made honor roll a few times but never perfect attendance. so for my kid to acheive it was awesome for the kid and me too!!!
+

It's about settings goals for the kids. kids always do better when they have something shoot for. that's common sense.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post

well then, if you ignore their acheivements not matter how much of a little deal you think it is, it may be a big deal to them and crush their sense of wanting to even attend school at all. hence high drop.

the kids are not appreciated anymore. they are just droned out. this is why schools are allowing nurses to come in and force feed ritalin pills to calm down and lax out the minds of good kids. It's not hard to tell. they start young to mess up the system. kindergarten.

my kid was hurt by not getting an award so I made her one on photoshop that was 10x better than the rotten school system couldve' done anyway so it's whatever.
The achievement of getting children to school every day belongs to parents, not kids. I believe in praising my young ones for real jobs well done.

It certainly didn't harm my self-confidence that I was never handed a "Certificate of Achievement" for getting to the bus stop every morning when I was a child, and none of my employers were effusive about my showing up on time every day as an adult either.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-15-2011 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
It may not mean anything to YOU, but YOU don't know what it can do for a little kids confidence about being at school. It's obvious you've never had perfect attendance so you wouldn't understand. to a little kid that could mean a lot. when I was a kid, I never got perfect attendance but I did TRY to get it. kids that got it felt great aobut themselves just like the ones who made honor roll. I eventually made honor roll a few times but never perfect attendance. so for my kid to acheive it was awesome for the kid and me too!!!
+

It's about settings goals for the kids. kids always do better when they have something shoot for. that's common sense.
Oh, for Pete's sake! What is the point of this put-down? I have actually had several perfect attendance awards. They didn't mean a thing to me. I do recall a friend saying her kid wanted to go to school while contagious with strep so she wouldn't spoil her perfect attendance record. That's what encouraging "perfect attendance" does for those who are serious about it.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
+

Talk about assumptions...

I had perfect attendance in 4th grade. Got the stupid certificate. Literally meant NOTHING to me. Next year I got the award for highest aptitude in science, meant a lot more. As a matter of fact I may still have the silly trophy somewhere in the attic.

And it is not about setting arbitrary meaningless goals, like perfect attendance but meaningful attainable goals. Look its obvious your nose is out of joint about this silly, inane award. If it means so much to you print out one of those little certificates online.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Talk about assumptions...

I had perfect attendance in 4th grade. Got the stupid certificate. Literally meant NOTHING to me. Next year I got the award for highest aptitude in science, meant a lot more. As a matter of fact I may still have the silly trophy somewhere in the attic.

And it is not about setting arbitrary meaningless goals, like perfect attendance but meaningful attainable goals. Look its obvious your nose is out of joint about this silly, inane award. If it means so much to you print out one of those little certificates online.
you were in the 4th grade and you thought it was stupid? I don't believe that. I bet you were at least happy you got it. be honest with yourself.

and for the record honor roll didn't mean much to me after the 1st one so it's not like that was such a hard thing to achieve.

and perfect attendance isn't arbitrary, it's factual. and it's attainable. none of the awards should be given if we go by your logic because different kids put value on different things. some kids put sports over school, some put school over band etc...my kid got high grades too and certificates for them but she wanted more, and perfect attendance is a goal she shot for and attained so your rant is pointless.

and my nose is in perfect alignment.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:

Is perfect attendance an achievement? Either A) the student has been lucky and never been sick or B) they have come to school even when they are sick. Either way, it's not an accomplishment of the student. The student doesn't control whether they get sick or not and they shouldn't be coming to school if they are sick.

This is yet another example of grasping at straws to pat kids on the back and THAT has a lot to do with what is wrong in education today.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Is perfect attendance an achievement? Either A) the student has been lucky and never been sick or B) they have come to school even when they are sick. Either way, it's not an accomplishment of the student. The student doesn't control whether they get sick or not and they shouldn't be coming to school if they are sick.

This is yet another example of grasping at straws to pat kids on the back and THAT has a lot to do with what is wrong in education today.
So let me get this straight, trying to have perfect attendance is a bad thing now?

my kid never got sick all year. I attribute that to our diet and a decnt bed time. sure, she got sniffles from the germs from other sick kids that were at school but she beat it quick. and I'm the type to keep mine out if I notice even a fever.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight, trying to have perfect attendance is a bad thing now?

my kid never got sick all year. I attribute that to our diet and a decnt bed time. sure, she got sniffles from the germs from other sick kids that were at school but she beat it quick. and I'm the type to keep mine out if I notice even a fever.
Good attendance is to be stirved for. Perfect attendance just isn't something to be celebrated. As I said, either the child is lucky and never got sick or they came to school in spite of being sick. Neither is an accomplishment to pat the child on the back for.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 AM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Good attendance is to be stirved for. Perfect attendance just isn't something to be celebrated. As I said, either the child is lucky and never got sick or they came to school in spite of being sick. Neither is an accomplishment to pat the child on the back for.
Bingo...I have a couple of students who strive for perfect attendance. Yesterday, one of them coughed and snotted all over her textbook, neighbors, etc.

Parents should require students to be in school each and every day they are well enough to be. If they are sick and contagious, please don't view us as a babysitter. Do like I do...take a sick day and stay home with your child.

I have a 10th grade student in my classroom who is currently undergoing chemo. If you think about nobody else, think about not exposing HER to your child's sickness please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education