Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,506 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old daughter came home today and while doing her homework said that her teacher said they other day, "I go home everyday with a headache because of you kids" She also told me her teacher said, "Sometimes I wake up in the morning and don't want to come to work", what would you do? School has only been is session for 3 weeks and she is already complaining This teacher is new to this particular school this year, but not to the district and we to are new to the area. We just moved here in June from Oregon so I don't want to become known as the parent that complains, but I think these comments are innapropriate for the teacher to be saying.

I hope this is the right area, I will also post it in the parenting forum.

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
I would let the teacher know. It's possible she's joking and the kids don't realize it. Kids don't always get sarcasm.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Send her a bottle of tylenol or motrin?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Send her a bottle of tylenol or motrin?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe she would realize that her kids are going home telling their parents about her comments.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 PM

29 posts, read 46,851 times
Its already been a week and ive been threated to have my butt kicked and my tires slashed and thats just at my scholl. Give the lady a break maybe shes just having a bad day

Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefulangel View Post
Its already been a week and ive been threated to have my butt kicked and my tires slashed and thats just at my scholl. Give the lady a break maybe shes just having a bad day
She is dealing with 9 year olds, not high school or middle school students. How is she supposed to inspire these kids to be and do their best when she herself is admiting she doesn't want to be there?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
This person shouldn't be teaching. Seriously, time for a career change. Not only is it a universal rule not to gripe about your work at work period, but doing it to little kids? That's just wrong. It's really sad that people get into a field like education and regret it. Just like kids remember good teachers, they remember bad teachers (or teachers that make them feel bad) too.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
This person shouldn't be teaching. Seriously, time for a career change. Not only is it a universal rule not to gripe about your work at work period, but doing it to little kids? That's just wrong. It's really sad that people get into a field like education and regret it. Just like kids remember good teachers, they remember bad teachers (or teachers that make them feel bad) too.
Exactly! They say it takes 2 consecutive years of good teachers to repair the damage of one bad teacher. Since we are new to the school and so is this teacher I don't know if I should say anything now or wait and see if it continues.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,439,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
We just moved here in June from Oregon so I don't want to become known as the parent that complains, but I think these comments are innapropriate for the teacher to be saying.

I hope this is the right area, I will also post it in the parenting forum.

Thanks for your input
Input:

What would I do? Absolutely nothing.

Since when children's ears have become so PC and thin-skinned that they cannot bear the sound of a teacher voicing any class-related complaints?

My teacher in elementary school was constantly telling us how big her head was everyday because of the noise we made; but she was also doing it in a very motherly way ("you kids are driving me up the wall"). She was also a very loving, well-prepared and caring teacher. She had lots of headaches because she cared. Why should she have had to hide this?

I have nothing but fond memories of her.

I would say "loosen up".

Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe she would realize that her kids are going home telling their parents about her comments.
There's an old saying about, "Only remember half of what you hear about the teacher and the teacher will only believe half of what your child says about you."

You might be surprised to learn that the talking goes both ways. The teacher may have heard some doozies from your daughter about what you're saying and doing at home--all filtered through 9-year-old ears, which often don't have the subtlety or nuance to understand when someone is kidding around.

If there's a real issue, it's always okay to contact the school. If you're that parent that calls constantly and makes a big to-do over every little non-issue? Word will quickly spread and school staff will quietly be warned what to expect--which can work against you if there's ever a real issue that needs addressing. I would try to choose my battles. Sending in Advil with a snarky note (over this non-issue) would be a way to guarantee this story gets spread around with your name attached and anyone who sees your daughter's name on their class list in the future will groan and roll their eyes. Ask yourself if this is worth what you're getting worked up over. You will effectively ruin any chance of having a good relationship with this teacher, all in the first weeks of school.

Also consider that out of all the applicants your principal interviewed, this woman was the best one. If you get rid of her, or if she's driven from teaching, ask yourself if the situation is really going to get better with a lesser candidate. Don't be so naive as to think Mary Poppins is waiting in the wings. There's a reason half of new teachers quit within the first 3 years. It's a hard job with a lot of stress and at times, unrealistic expectations from home. Good luck to you. Try to make a smart choice, not an impulsive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education