Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 11:25 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

Abolish public funded education. There, fixed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Abolish public funded education. There, fixed it.
I assume you are a fan of Ron Paul. Doing that will insure that kids will only be exposed to a narrow view of things and that they will be unable to think critically about our society. The public schools are not perfect, but they actually educate children and expose them to views from many different people.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I assume you are a fan of Ron Paul. Doing that will insure that kids will only be exposed to a narrow view of things and that they will be unable to think critically about our society. The public schools are not perfect, but they actually educate children and expose them to views from many different people.
Not in the Safe Place. You won't get any opposing views there. Just calm confirmation without judgement or challenge.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not in the Safe Place. You won't get any opposing views there. Just calm confirmation without judgement or challenge.
My kids and grandkids and I all attended public schools (the youngest grandchild is in 1st grade in the Boston area). Every one of us were challenged in our schools with plenty of differing viewpoints represented. (I was in a small town in New York outside the city. My children were in the Evanston, IL schools and my older grandchildren were in the Texas schools near Houston).

Unless you have experience in the schools, you don't know what you are talking about.

Admittedly, some parents do not want their children exposed to other views especially the views that are from other parts of the world than the US.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Good. My daughter is in marching band. It's $1,200 a year just to be on the band. That doesn't include travel costs for competitions, which were $2,000 last year (pre-COVID). That doesn't include whatever it costs for the instrument, that we need to buy. Most are hundreds of dollars, even for used ones.

She was also on the dance team in middle school. $800. For a MIDDLE SCHOOL dance team that didn't even go to competitions or anything.

And every organized sport is the same. We are in public school.

As a former educator myself, I think these programs are wonderful and immensely beneficial for kids. But the kids that need them the most are the ones who probably can't afford it.

30 years ago, when I was in high school, I was a cheer leader and on the volleyball team for a couple years. Total cost for volleyball was $0, total cost of cheer was whatever the cost was for one pair of sneakers. Now, it's over $1000 for cheer.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:46 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Please note that this thread was started in 2011

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:35 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Stipulation, I think Ron Paul and virtually all fairly strict to strict libertarians are naive and silly.

With a further stipulation that a few private schools a little more than religious indoctrination camps.......that said your implied claim that private schools educate narrow minded, unworldly kids incapable of critical thinking is absurd.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
My kids and grandkids and I all attended public schools (the youngest grandchild is in 1st grade in the Boston area). Every one of us were challenged in our schools with plenty of differing viewpoints represented. (I was in a small town in New York outside the city. My children were in the Evanston, IL schools and my older grandchildren were in the Texas schools near Houston).

Unless you have experience in the schools, you don't know what you are talking about.

Admittedly, some parents do not want their children exposed to other views especially the views that are from other parts of the world than the US.

I am a licensed and certified teacher. Don't insult people about whom you know nothing. It merely shows your biases and prejudices. And remember, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Students are asking for places where dissenting opinions are not permitted.

Quote:
Van Jones, an American political and civil rights activist and former adviser to former President Barack Obama, recently spoke at the University of Chicago. The host asked Jones about the increasing demand from students to be protected from ideas and speakers they don’t like. [...] “There are two ideas about safe spaces,” he explained, referring to some college students’ request for “safe spaces,” where they can get together without being exposed to ideas and speech that make them feel uncomfortable. “One is a very good idea, and one is a terrible idea.” The good idea, he said, is “being physically safe on campus, not being subjected to sexual harassment and physical abuse.”

“But there is another view that is now ascendant … It’s a horrible view, which is that ‘I need to be safe ideologically, I need to be safe emotionally, I just need to feel good all the time. And if someone else says something that I don’t like, that is a problem for everyone else, including the administration."
[/i]

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/safe-...b02a2eaab66ccf

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-25-2020 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: please only quote 3 or 4 sentences. Viewers can go to the link to see whole quote

Old 10-20-2020, 11:00 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

I am a licensed and certified teacher. Don't insult people about whom you know nothing. It merely shows your biases and prejudices. And remember, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Students are asking for places where dissenting opinions are not permitted.

Quote:
"Van Jones, an American political and civil rights activist and former adviser to former President Barack Obama, recently spoke at the University of Chicago. The host asked Jones about the increasing demand from students to be protected from ideas and speakers they don’t like. [...] “There are two ideas about safe spaces,” he explained, referring to some college students’ request for “safe spaces,” where they can get together without being exposed to ideas and speech that make them feel uncomfortable. “One is a very good idea, and one is a terrible idea.” The good idea, he said, is “being physically safe on campus, not being subjected to sexual harassment and physical abuse.”

“But there is another view that is now ascendant … It’s a horrible view, which is that ‘I need to be safe ideologically, I need to be safe emotionally, I just need to feel good all the time. And if someone else says something that I don’t like, that is a problem for everyone else, including the administration.”

This is exactly the kind of reasoning dictatorships use to shut down unwanted speech, where censorship is justified in the name of security, public safety or social harmony. That’s top-down censorship. But censorship can also be exercised from the bottom up. This has been the case with students who exclude, disinvite and shut down speakers whose opinions they don’t like. It’s a big irony that the Wellesley professors’ call for censorship happened as a reaction to Kipnis’s talk at Censorship Awareness Week. And it’s baffling to see professors at an elite college being unable to distinguish between bullying the disempowered and making an argument. "[/i]

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/safe-...b02a2eaab66ccf

I agree. This entire area...........safe zones, speech throttling, the media throttling legitimate stories etc. should frighten anyone with even a passing understanding of recent history.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-25-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 06:06 PM

It's been almost 60 years since the Free Speech Movement erupted at Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education