Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM

346 posts, read 507,600 times

Advertisements

I am currently home schooling my 6th and 7th graders, a combination of both grades. I have been fortunate enough to pick and chose the material and course work for each subject. While this has fostered a more engaging learning experience, I believe there are a few gaps, and I am considering going with a complete boxed curriculum for the remainder of middle school beginning next year. So that would be 8th grade for my son, and 7th for my daughter.

My state is just now offering public school at home through k12.com, but the reviews I have read are mixed. Of concern is the amount of work assigned and the lack of flexibility when attending the "free" school. Apparently when you purchase the curriculum you have more control.

Also out there offering complete grades are Sonlight, BJU, and switched on school house, and/or distance online academies....various ones.

I am undecided, and any input would be appreciated, especially any firsthand experience with complete curriculums, and/or web links to reviews by other home schooling families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
I am not a huge fan of boxed curricula. To me, it's no different than regular school, except you get to wear pajamas.

More likely I would suggest finding the state's standards for your children's grade levels, and picking among what's available-- or designing your own-- for each subject. When we homeschooled fulltime, we stayed loosely within Sunshine State Standards, though in some subjects we ranged ahead a few years, and in one or two others we kind of went sideways-- as long as the kids learn, college admissions make no rule that Earth Science has to be 7th grade and Physical Science 8th, after all. This gave us the ability to more fully explore things the kids were interested in. When dd wanted to study genetics, we did. We weren't bound by a box that insisted it was time to explore the intracacies of gneiss and cherts.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM

346 posts, read 507,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I am not a huge fan of boxed curricula. To me, it's no different than regular school, except you get to wear pajamas.

More likely I would suggest finding the state's standards for your children's grade levels, and picking among what's available-- or designing your own-- for each subject. When we homeschooled fulltime, we stayed loosely within Sunshine State Standards, though in some subjects we ranged ahead a few years, and in one or two others we kind of went sideways-- as long as the kids learn, college admissions make no rule that Earth Science has to be 7th grade and Physical Science 8th, after all. This gave us the ability to more fully explore things the kids were interested in. When dd wanted to study genetics, we did. We weren't bound by a box that insisted it was time to explore the intracacies of gneiss and cherts.
I already do exactly what you mentioned, and I don't care really what my state tells me we need to learn and when. The issue is more lack of time on my part, being stressed about "not doing enough," and slacking in certain subjects. Also, the county we live in requires we take the standardized state tests and two years of poor scores gives them the right to make us go back to public school. iCK.

I spend an awful lot of time planning lessons, reading "how to" teach from the grammar book I picked out, and ditching a book after a few weeks to find one we like better. I feel inadequate, especially the further we get in grades. I also work part-time and I am trying to turn a hobby into a business...I simply can't be everywhere and everything. I am pretty sure I would not like a boxed curriculum, but I don't think I can continue as is.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post
I already do exactly what you mentioned, and I don't care really what my state tells me we need to learn and when. The issue is more lack of time on my part, being stressed about "not doing enough," and slacking in certain subjects. Also, the county we live in requires we take the standardized state tests and two years of poor scores gives them the right to make us go back to public school. iCK.

I spend an awful lot of time planning lessons, reading "how to" teach from the grammar book I picked out, and ditching a book after a few weeks to find one we like better. I feel inadequate, especially the further we get in grades. I also work part-time and I am trying to turn a hobby into a business...I simply can't be everywhere and everything. I am pretty sure I would not like a boxed curriculum, but I don't think I can continue as is.
I used a "boxed curriculum" (new term for me) but found it to be more expense than it was worth...especially for the subjects of my high school and college majors. I got a copy of the curriculum and textbooks being used in public school as a "teachers guide" but added my own material. We were always a grade or two ahead in some subjects but on par in math...my worst subject.

BTW, I used to have copies of tests used in the 1920's & 30's. You wouldn't believe how we've slowed-down...old 5th grade is today's 8th. grade.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post

Yes, you sound stressed.
Do you keep a portfolio of your kids' work (I've no idea if Tennessee requires one, we're in another state)? Even if it isn't required, it's a great way to show yourself you've done more than you think you have (and since your kids are older, they could be in charge of organizing their own). Most homeschooling parents I know, especially those with older kids, feel inadequate from time to time. Tangibles-- like a portfolio, or even standardized tests-- will either tell you that your concerns are unfounded, or they'll show you where you're lagging.
And of course, if you truly are lagging in some area that the state mandates, then you'll need to care what your state tells you you need to do. Either that or find an umbrella "school" that basically takes your money each year and lets you do what you darn well please. I know those exist, though we've never availed ourselves because Florida is pretty homeschool-friendly. (We just submit our portfolios for review.)
Bottom line though is that there are only so many hours in a week, and a boxed curriculum won't change that. If you're hugely overwhelmed, something will need to give, or you'll need some help. How are the kids with this? Do they want to homeschool? Can you give them more responsibility for their own education planning?

And yes, IME boxed curricula are pretty expensive, though sometimes you can get them second-hand, if your area has enough homeschoolers of like mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education