Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

OMG, this whole debate is almost analogous to the marijuana use debates, LOL! Meaning, that when something becomes so ingrained in a culture, but is then prohibited, people continue to use it and engage in surreptitious behaviors that allow them access. It seems that the real issue is that kids do not see anything wrong with using their cells and/or that they do not have an understanding of technology abuse.

That said, it doesn't seem like this topic is going to make much headway, although I will proffer the suggestion that we need to teach responsible cell phone [and technology] use rather than simply trying to continue policies that either prohibit or allow cell phones in schools and/or classrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:32 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Kids need rules to live by, better they learn now because once they are out in the workforce they are not going to do as the want. Praise to all those teachers out there dealing with this.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Those are devices specifically designed for people with various impairments. I find it difficult to believe that a child is unable to communicate with the use of an Apple product. I think it's just a case of the child WANTING to use those devices. Aren't there programs affiliated with schools to provide for special needs to children ot have the devices they need? When my father was superintendent, I know firsthand that the school system found a way for children to get different things that parents couldn't afford out of pocket. So I'm not buying the use of an Apple product. IEP or not.
It was either an iPad or a communications devise. Ours cost around $700, a communication devise costs around $10,000. Insurance companies do NOT pay for communication devises. School districts do NOT provide communication devises. If parents need one it comes from your pocket book or through donations, and even iPads are given to needy people with autism. My school district won't even follow my son's IEP, they certainly aren't going to pay extra to help him communicate! That being said, most autism schools do use iPads, but they are not something that comes home with the student, so if you want any continuity, you best get one.

I'm just glad you are not the diagnosing physician or involved in any facet of care or education of my son, because you would probably think that he doesn't have autism either .

Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
If a student is using a device that is inconsistent with class rules and procedures then yes, it should be confiscated.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
It was either an iPad or a communications devise. Ours cost around $700, a communication devise costs around $10,000. Insurance companies do NOT pay for communication devises. School districts do NOT provide communication devises. If parents need one it comes from your pocket book or through donations, and even iPads are given to needy people with autism. My school district won't even follow my son's IEP, they certainly aren't going to pay extra to help him communicate! That being said, most autism schools do use iPads, but they are not something that comes home with the student, so if you want any continuity, you best get one.

I'm just glad you are not the diagnosing physician or involved in any facet of care or education of my son, because you would probably think that he doesn't have autism either .
I am sorry to hear that your school will not provide a device for your child if he needs one. Our school district does provide such devices to students for use in school. They don't let the kids take them home, I imagine because they are so expensive, but they do have them for kids to use in the classroom.

The IPad is less expensive though and it seemed to be just as good as that Dynavox that cost $10,000 to $20,000. We had a grant for ours, btw, and did not pay out of pocket for it at all.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
It seems we all survived when we went to school without cellphones. you needed to call home there were pay phones or you could use the one in the front office.
And people survived without running water or electricity but we no longer expect it of them because with the advent of technology we accept the pros of them as well as the cons.

There is no difference here. Cell phones are just new technology, no more or less.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Of course they should.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM

402 posts, read 589,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post

It's not about whether he has autism. It's the fact that there are other options more suited to an educational environment. I find it very hard to believe that your school system does not have and will not acquire necessary equipment. I'm sure your child is not the only autistic child in the entire system.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM

572 posts, read 1,298,704 times
Quote:
It's not about whether he has autism. It's the fact that there are other options more suited to an educational environment. I find it very hard to believe that your school system does not have and will not acquire necessary equipment. I'm sure your child is not the only autistic child in the entire system.
What?!? Are you joking? Right now, I'm taking the school district to court to mainstream my child, which is part a mandated part of his IEP. If they are refusing to pay $30K a year for an aide to mainstream my child, do you honestly think they are going to pony up $10,000-20,000 for "necessary equipment." Especially, when the iPad is $700 and does the same DAMN thing. And just so you are aware, the iPad we have is WiFi only, you can disable the internet connection (which we do when we send it school, that way if some moron steals it, they are only able to get to the communication apps and none of the on-line software, that's password protected), there's no way for him to play angry birds, or connect to Netflix (not that he could). GMAFB.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
You seriously don't get how school districts work in terms of autistic children. Some districts are excellent and do whatever they need to do, but many do not. The district the person you replied to is not in compliance with her current IEP because they don't want to pay for an aide. This tends to be a big problem in districts where funding has been cut severely. It is also a fact that many districts get away with noncompliance because parents don't know their rights or don't have money for advocates and lawyers.

The Ipad is actually perfectly suited to the classroom when used by knowledgeable teachers and it is MUCH less expensive than most of the hardware and software the district could buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education